Ideas? Skills? New TC Time!

Bored experienced developers wanted

Yep guys, I'm back...

Why I'm posting this:
Well...I got back into playing EVN lately.
And of course, I couldn't help but open the resource files and take a peek at my old haunts.
And now I'm feeling nostalgic, and want to code a new TC.

How fricken long it's been:
Last time I worked on a TC was the liasons/shatters project for EVO that never was finished as half our team vanished. Yes, I still have all the files, if anyone remembers it and wants to pick up on that idea (for EVN now of course). I have done some little plugs since then...IRC people remember persons of #ev3? That kind of stuff. But I really want to go back to TC's.

What I want from you:
Anyone else, reply with story ideas (obviously not more than a summary here - I'll contact you if I'm interested). Or any skills you have. I really miss the old days of throwing a team together and slaving over resedit and strata for weeks without a dime for it. It was somehow satisfying.
And if you commit, commit. If you only want to do a few ship graphics and get your name in the credits, that's fine, but don't come to me asking to be the graphics guy. Be honest about how much time you can put in. As someone running a team I'm pretty lax and open, but don't promise me something and not follow through.

Details:
I do not really want to join a project already in the works. I'm much better when I start things, because I know how to organize a team quite well. I've been doing this for years, as have many of you, and you know what it's like when things fall through (reference to the shatters project, again). I also have no interest in basing a plug on a movie or book idea, it should be original. As fun as those are to play, I'm much too open-minded to feel like I have to abide by what someone else wrote. All decisions on stats and stories and such will be by team members or by suggestion here or otherwise.

More nostalgia:
I miss frozen heart. That was amazing. Did anyone else read the book it was based on? I wonder if it ever got published, I thought it was quite good.

Edit: I'm going to be on IRC in #evdev for people here to contact me more easily. Or you can leave contact info here (name/email/aim/irc).

This post has been edited by Arada Pilot : 28 November 2005 - 06:23 PM

I would love to do some Intro Music for a TC, PM me if your interested.

Hey......now that's an Idea! A music/sound themed TC...

Sex Drugs & Rock 'n' Roll!

SDRR for short.

Well ok.....maybe not, but Intro music for sure!

This post has been edited by floop : 28 November 2005 - 03:15 AM

I'd probably be of most use to you for my Terragen work. I can also do grunt work as far as coding goes, and I can write short things like landing or outfit descriptions.

I'm just curious, what kind of TC is this going to be? Do you have any sort of basic storyline you'd be willing to ahem leak?

More nostalgia:
I miss frozen heart. That was amazing. Did anyone else read the book it was based on? I wonder if it ever got published, I thought it was quite good.
View Post
(/quote)

Did you read Fallen Angel? http://www.martintur...l/Launcher.html

floop: Definitely. Music composition is one of the things I can't do well at all. Granted I want to get things together before I'd give you a task like that, but you're free to send me samples.

Mispeled: I'm at work now and photobucket is blocked, but I will check that out later. Artists (and code slaves too, duh) are always welcome...although I might take you up on that desc-writing thing. After I look at that portfolio I'll respond in more detail
And as for plot, nothing definite yet...like I said, we could pick up shatters, but I think honestly I'd rather get some good writers together with me and think up something completely new.

MT: you still hang around here? hey, theres one person from back in the day. I haven't read that, but I'll have to...

Mispeled, I like some of those terrain pics.

I'm going to be on IRC in #evdev for people here to contact me more easily.

...so let me get this straight; you've announced to the community at large that you're building an awesome TC that will actually get released, yet you have no team, no resources to speak of, and you're polling the end users for ideas with which to populate your non-existent plot?

Watch me hold my breath...

...oow; 1 minute and 5 seconds! A new personal best!

Yep, and it's going to be better than yours 😛

note that I do actually have half a finished TC waiting to be worked on, but I just want to see if I can start something new, as I'd have more fun with that.

Call me old-fashioned, but I've always held that a ripping storyline is the back-bone of any half descent TC. So forgive me if I'm sceptical of your cut'n'paste approach to narrative construction.

And those storylines tend to take quite a bit longer to work in than the graphics do... Especially when they are done in sequence.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I want a riveting storyline here...which is why I'm so open to new ideas, before I set down to put weeks of work into it. I do, however, already have an exciting scenario half done already, if I fail to find anything better.

The whole point of a TC is for the storyline...how it pans out through a new universe...etc. You could add 100 new ships, and you wouldn't need to make it a TC.

I can write little things such as outfit, planet, and other descs. Check EVN Boards Variants and Warship Leviathan for some samples of my desc abilities. I can also supply descs for a plug that ProfessorAND and I did that never got released (he vanished at the last moment...) If I ever get the time during the course of the project, I can also do storyline writing. PM me if interested, I don't want to post my email here.

Hudson, on Nov 29 2005, 09:05 AM, said:

...oow; 1 minute and 5 seconds! A new personal best!
View Post

1:27.4, but it's not my best. Usually I can get up to 1:45, and my record is over 2 minutes.

That start-with-sol-only idea isnt a bad one...maybe a scenario that starts building space travel for a race, some aliens that you meet, char resources so you can play as the aliens starting out, a black hole that transports you, etc...

I think you should try to make a bible scenario, where you can play Jesus.

modesty_blaise_us, on Dec 1 2005, 06:39 AM, said:

I think you should try to make a bible scenario, where you can play Jesus.
View Post

Or a mexican scenario, where you can play Jesus.

A TC based loosely around events in the Book of Revelation (the apocolyptic section of the bible) might actually be very interesting. It wouldn't necessarily have to have a religious overtone, it could be totally secular. Let the players draw their own conclusions from it.

Mispeled, on Dec 1 2005, 03:37 PM, said:

A TC based loosely around events in the Book of Revelation (the apocolyptic section of the bible) might actually be very interesting. It wouldn't necessarily have to have a religious overtone, it could be totally secular. Let the players draw their own conclusions from it.
View Post

A TC about teh end of the universe...it'd be cool, but what would the player do? just random BBS missions that decide if he ends up in the "heaven" syst or "hell"?

If you were a new user, this thread would be full of posts telling you about how many hundreds of people have done this same thing, and about how it won't work out.

Good Luck :rolleyes: