Should Escape Velocity Be Multiplayer?

Should we be able to link up online?

Poll: Should Escape Velocity Be Multiplayer? (19 member(s) have cast votes)
Should Escape Velocity Be Multiplayer?
yes, we should be able to connect to other people's fleets.
(3 votes [15.79%])
Percentage of vote: 15.79%
yes, but only a certain ammount of people in each "Universe"
(3 votes [15.79%])
Percentage of vote: 15.79%
Yes, but have a beginners universe, intermediate universe, and expert universe.
(1 votes [5.26%])
Percentage of vote: 5.26%
no, i like Escape Velocity the way it is now
(12 votes [63.16%])
Percentage of vote: 63.16%

I think that this is a great idea. Many people may think differently though...i really want to hear what you think, too.

sniff no one is voting...everyone hates me....

Now now then, this topic's been around for less than half an hour. Try waiting a day or two for people to vote and reply and stuff. Not everyone is browsing the boards at the same time you are.

On topic, I think you should know that whatever the outcome of this poll, EV Nova will never be made multiplayer. Check out some of the pinned topics on the Nova Webboard or do a search for multiplayer - it's been brought up countless times before. So if you want to casually discuss it then feel free but keep in mind that it's simply not going to happen. Also, you may not get much response as people are rather sick of it by now.

Why does nobody read the first topic in the Nova board?

sentence in the first topic in the Nova board said:

Threads regarding a potential EV4 (not going to happen), an online version (also not) , multiplayer version (nope), or 3D version (sensing a pattern?) will be locked by a moderator.
View Post

I vote no. Surprise, surprise.

In other words, sorry bud. You joined a day ago, so I won't make any opinions of you yet, and you have good grammar... yes, grammar wins. Anyway, I guess the quote in Frequency's post says it all.

(edit) whoops, double post. My bad. 🙂

This post has been edited by nuku : 20 October 2005 - 03:22 AM

We have many talented programmers in the EV world who are adept at writing utilities that can look inside the Nova Files folder and interpret RLE graphics. The TCP part shouldn't be that hard to implement (if a web browser can be writen for a Commodore 64 then this should be easy).
A full-on Nova mmorpg or whatever? No. A player-versus-player app that uses the default Nova files on each side and makes one system for the players to duke it out in? Yes.

you all suck..

Star Fighter 9000, on Oct 20 2005, 09:21 AM, said:

you all suck..
View Post

And your comebacks are in need of improvement. You're not the first two-day old ASW member to come along with this 'revolutionary' idea. There are a few EVesque projects out there that are doing the MMORPG thing with an EV-type theme. It seems to me that frankly if this is what you want then you are on the wrong forums, in the wrong developers' area, for the wrong game. Not to be rude but if you had read the faqs or the pinned notices in the main Nova forum then you would of already had this question answered.

Now we wait for Pipeline...

rmx256, on Oct 20 2005, 02:27 PM, said:

There are a few EVesque projects out there that are doing the MMORPG thing with an EV-type theme. It seems to me that frankly if this is what you want then you are on the wrong forums, in the wrong developers' area, for the wrong game.View Post

Actually, we'd prefer if he didn't come. 🙂

Don't feed the troll.

rmx256, on Oct 20 2005, 07:22 AM, said:

A full-on Nova mmorpg or whatever? No. A player-versus-player app that uses the default Nova files on each side and makes one system for the players to duke it out in? Yes.

You practically summed up my feelings in this regard in four sentences, two of them one word long.

I say practically because it would be better if it just ensured that both sides had the same resources, rather than just both having Nova Files. Plug-in support would be nice, too.

On the other hand, I would use the stock scenario most anyhow, so meh. Edwards wouldn't be hapy though. 😉

Make an engine, a bible, and a scenario file to show off the features of your engine and present it to Ambrosia. Then we'll see about a real scenario file/everything else.

Matt's got a TCP based one hanging around somewhere, I believe.

However, he won't release it because, basically, it's s###e, and no fun to play.

orcaloverbri9, on Oct 21 2005, 02:03 PM, said:

You practically summed up my feelings in this regard in four sentences, two of them one word long.

I say practically because it would be better if it just ensured that both sides had the same resources, rather than just both having Nova Files. Plug-in support would be nice, too.

On the other hand, I would use the stock scenario most anyhow, so meh. Edwards wouldn't be hapy though. 😉
View Post

In order to make a 2-player EVN worth playing, you'd need to include some form of storyline support.

This could be done so that each player gets thier own side of the story----put them on opposing sides of a conflict, for example.

The trick would be syncing up the stories, so that both players arrive at the same battles at the same time. One might need to rework how the engine presents missions a bit to get this working.

The Apple Cřre, on Oct 21 2005, 01:34 PM, said:

Make an engine, a bible, and a scenario file to show off the features of your engine and present it to Ambrosia. Then we'll see about a real scenario file/everything else.

Umm, pardon? What engine? Did you seethe words "someone make this?" or anything to a similar effect in my post? No? That's what I thought.

I was giving my idea of what would be ideal for a multiplayer EVN. I wasn't asking anyone to make it, and I certainly wasn't volunteering. Learn to take posts regarding multiplayer EVN in a vein besides "OMG DIS WUD BE SO AWSOM SOME1 MAK IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!".

Still, I think Someone should try to make a least a beta version so people would consider it. It's not like it HAS to have a storyline. It could even only have a couple systems in it. I'm not saying I would do it, just give someone good at making stuff like this (or at least expeirienced like Matt.) a couple Bags full of coffe beans, soda and chips.

(sigh)

I am locking this because (take your pick):
•There have already been thousands of topics on this subject.
•You are adding nothing new or useful to the ongoing taboo conversation about EVMP.
•You are being rude and annoying about it.
•This is the wrong forum anyway.
•There will never be a multiplayer EV.

Have a nice day.