How Do You Put Ships Into The Game?

Well, I've got wings 3d, Strata, and Mission Computer. So far, i've moddeled and textured my ships, but now i need to know how to spin them and put'em into the game. Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. Please don't tell me to search, I did.

You need to get 'EnRLE/DeRLE' and 'Sprites' from w00tWare. When you got it, read the Readmes.

bmac, on Sep 12 2004, 07:08 PM, said:

You need to get 'EnRLE/DeRLE' and 'Sprites' from w00tWare. When you got it, read the Readmes.
View Post

Animate a 36-frame movie of a single clockwise rotation. Then use m2s. Then use Resedit to set it up to work with the resulting PICT files. Then use EnRLEd to convert to the rled format.

That's the base sprite. For engine glows, running lights, etc, you'll have to do more. Take a look at some of the Nova ships.

What I would do would be to download a plugin that simply adds a ship and just edit that. It's a bit easier because the res IDs would be all set up, etc.

Edit: By the way, as far as I know your sprites don't HAVE to be rlëDs... they can be PICTs like in the first two games.

This post has been edited by Mantaray : 12 September 2004 - 04:44 PM

Mantaray, on Sep 12 2004, 09:42 PM, said:

What I would do would be to download a plugin that simply adds a ship and just edit that. It's a bit easier because the res IDs would be all set up, etc.

Edit: By the way, as far as I know your sprites don't HAVE to be rlëDs... they can be PICTs like in the first two games.
View Post

Although from what I hear, Nova ends up compressing them anyway? Or PICTs somehow produce a heavier processor load, slowing down the game? I thought that rleXs are always better than raw PICTs.

Matrix

what_is_the_matrix, on Sep 13 2004, 05:12 AM, said:

Although from what I hear, Nova ends up compressing them anyway? Or PICTs somehow produce a heavier processor load, slowing down the game? I thought that rleXs are always better than raw PICTs.

Matrix
View Post

Correct. I just said that to de-complicate things.

Correct. I just said that to de-complicate things.

It's not soo complicated to drop a resedit file onto the EnRLE icon, is it? Even more so as it has a very clear readme file

(I assume that) Mantaray meant that he didn't want to complicate his answer with an in-depth explanation.

Matrix

:blink: EV Edit to produce resource picts, shipwrite to produce the final ship plug <_<

Septcanmat, on Sep 12 2004, 01:35 PM, said:

Well, I've got wings 3d, Strata, and Mission Computer. So far, i've moddeled and textured my ships, but now i need to know how to spin them and put'em into the game. Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. Please don't tell me to search, I did.
View Post

Sean M., on Sep 22 2004, 02:12 AM, said:

:blink: EV Edit to produce resource picts, shipwrite to produce the final ship plug <_<

1. This is for Nova, not EV/O.
2. Please don't spread such horrible ideas as using EV-Edit...

How much of this changes if you're developing for PC? I've never heard of a RezEdit for pc, atleast. (?)

There is no EnRle for windows, so you have to do it manually(I still don't know how). The resource editor for WinNova is EVNEW. You can find that on the utilities section of the add-ons page.

-stlyesom

-sigh-
EVNEW imports the same images that EnRle would (but EVNEW can import any image format QT understands, just avoid importing JPEGs), and make them Rles (just create a new RleD resource and in its window, file->import); it can additionally import the frames one by one.

This post has been edited by Zacha Pedro : 23 September 2004 - 05:50 AM

Zacha Pedro, on Sep 23 2004, 06:49 AM, said:

-sigh-
EVNEW imports the same images that EnRle would (but EVNEW can import any image format QT understands, just avoid importing JPEGs), and make them Rles (just create a new RleD resource and in its window, file->import); it can additionally import the frames one by one.

How might one do this?

-stlyesom

Not actually tried (for lack of importable frames, I just played with EVNEW once), I just read it in its readme.
EDIT: Slouch knows it better than I do.

This post has been edited by Zacha Pedro : 24 September 2004 - 02:10 AM

Yes! Thank you so much. I have been trying to learn how to do that for months. 😄

-stlyesom

using shipwrite to assemble a ship (i used the deron corvette from the ev elphan 1 plug-in as the starliner: a new superfreighter by frontier express.) gave it a tech level of 149 which sells it at crockett and a missionbit associated with the tradewar between stellar corp and frontier express. -sean meaney s892646@students.cdu.edu.au

seanrobertmeaney, on Oct 6 2004, 05:42 AM, said:

using shipwrite to assemble a ship (i used the deron corvette from the ev elphan 1 plug-in as the starliner: a new superfreighter by frontier express.) gave it a tech level of 149 which sells it at crockett and a missionbit associated with the tradewar between stellar corp and frontier express. -sean meaney s892646@students.cdu.edu.au
View Post

Welcome to the boards, Sean Meaney. We hope you enjoy your stay. 🙂

In case you haven't seen them already, here is All the Important Links You'll Ever Need, the Member-Run FAQ, and most importantly the Search function.

Congratulations on making a ship for Override. However, I believe we're talking about Nova in this topic (Septcanmat doesn't seem to have replied so I can't be sure), which ShipWrite isn't compatible with.

Thanks for the welcome Guy!

Conceivably however the technique is similar? I havn't had the leisure to entertain myself with the prospect of upgrading to NOVA. I assume that NOVA has a Resedit template?

Perhaps it is time to produce the "EV:series developer's tutorial" an indepth guide for the budding developer. That way the technique can be established

-Sean Meaney s892646@students.cdu.edu.au

Well yeah I suppose, only there's a lot more fields to fill out in Nova. Also new in Nova, if you've made your own sprites you should encode them into RLE format, rather than leaving them as PICT.

Nova does indeed have ResEdit templates, although I don't think anyone uses them. Mac OS 9 users have NovaTools, which are basically advanced templates for ResEdit with an easy-to-use graphical interface. There are also stand-alone editors available for both Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X.

There are also a number of tutorials and guides out there - most noticeably Zacha Pedro's annotated templates (the topics starting with "(GUIDE)"). They are still being worked on though and are slowly appearing on SpacePirate's Plugin Developer's Guide. You can find all this and more in the Important Links topic. But if you're looking for guides relating to Override then I don't think you'll find much other than what's already on the addons page.