EVO Questions

Someone's forgotten the Robots and Foundation novels by Issac Asimov. Perhaps the best of the best in "humans only" universes.

Sorry for the bit of Thread-o-mancy here, but this was a great thread. I love when you can see information from the creator first hand and it opens up stuff about the world.

Despite the complaints, I love how each EV incarnation is separate and something new. Though a sequel to EVO with the EVN engine would be amazing.

Now I have to play through ALL of the storylines and try to find it all out.

i think that EVN is boring cause its like reading a book, you dont really spend much time in space fighting stuff in any of the major storylines

and also can someone describe to me what a voinian is supposed to look like, cause they arent human right?

This post has been edited by Cardboard Tube : 27 April 2010 - 11:48 PM

The appearance of the aliens is purposely left vague, but the general consensus seems to be that the Voinians are vaguely grey รขย€ย” probably something like a cross between a Jem'Hadar and a Vogon.

I always imagined them as grey with insectoid bodies and lots of sharp pointy body parts. And red eyes, maybe some red stripes in other areas, as well. Basically, a lot like their ships.

This post has been edited by darthkev : 30 April 2010 - 04:16 PM

QUOTE (Cardboard Tube @ Apr 28 2010, 04:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i think that EVN is boring cause its like reading a book, you dont really spend much time in space fighting stuff in any of the major storylines

and also can someone describe to me what a voinian is supposed to look like, cause they arent human right?

Agree re EVN.

I imagined Voinians as grey and hulking, again like their ships; not insectoid though. Perhaps something like simulants as in Red Dwarf.

I've imagined them as somewhat lizard-like, given their somewhat reptillian view of the world.

Of course, David Aurthor's "Jem'Hadar and Vogon" description fits them to a tee; bloodthirsty, bureacratic, and completely full of themselves.

I imagine humans are grey and red skinned with a robust and average build or something. ๐Ÿ˜„

QUOTE (Coraxus @ May 5 2010, 02:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I imagine humans are grey and red skinned with a robust and average build or something. ๐Ÿ˜„

Hey now, some of them are light blue and weak with smaller builds.

QUOTE (Coraxus @ May 4 2010, 11:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This made me think of the Protoss.

QUOTE (Qaanol @ May 5 2010, 01:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey now, some of them are light blue and weak with smaller builds.

This made me think of the Navi.

QUOTE (darthkev @ May 6 2010, 03:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This made me think of the Protoss.

Red-skinned? Nah. The rest of the description, sure. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I've always envisioned the Voinians as quite similar to the Protoss, with an un-dying loyalty to their cause (much like Halo's Covenant). I find the Voinians to be quite fascinating.

-JP

Why are there so many sentient species in Voinian space?

Virtually every Voinian planet was previously inhabited by creatures who ranged from rural/agrarian society to early interstellar flight; more than a dozen self-aware alien species in one small quadrant of the galaxy, compared to a whopping three (the humans, the Miranu and the various breeds of the Gadzair) everywhere else.

Perhaps there were other alien races in Crescent space, but were killed off by the Strand War long ago. As for the Miranu, maybe they performed hostile takeovers of the planets belonging to other races, shipped the aliens off somewhere else, and covered up any indication someone else was there first. In northern Miranu space, perhaps the renegades killed them all off.

I have no explanation for UE space other than all other sentient races dying off from war/famine/viral outbreak before anyone else saw them.

@darthkev, on Dec 29 2010, 08:06 PM, said in EVO Questions:

Perhaps there were other alien races in Crescent space, but were killed off by the Strand War long ago. As for the Miranu, maybe they performed hostile takeovers of the planets belonging to other races, shipped the aliens off somewhere else, and covered up any indication someone else was there first. In northern Miranu space, perhaps the renegades killed them all off.

I have no explanation for UE space other than all other sentient races dying off from war/famine/viral outbreak before anyone else saw them.

Actually, we know there are still minor non-Gadzair-descent aliens in the Crescent. I don't have EVO handy at the moment, but South Crescent Station is stated as being run by one of them.

@lordinsane, on Jan 1 2011, 07:18 PM, said in EVO Questions:

Actually, we know there are still minor non-Gadzair-descent aliens in the Crescent. I don't have EVO handy at the moment, but South Crescent Station is stated as being run by one of them.

That's right! I had forgotten about them. And then there's Miriida, the Zacha from beyond the Crescent. Who's to say there aren't other aliens from beyond the Crescent wandering around? Or maybe some of the other Zacha belong to other alien races native the the Crescent or Miranu space, they simply were not mentioned.

With the Emalgha being right next to Voinian space, that makes humanity the loneliest race in EVO.

I'd just like to say that, like many others in this topic, EVO was my favorite game in the series too. The unadulterated sense of adventure and the sheer bizarre allure of alien spacecraft and worlds made Override just too good to pass up.

The Scoutship in Override was always a joy to buy. The range of that ship just made exploration irresistible.

While I do not want an expansion for this game built on the nova engine, as I see it as an antiquated hack of a game engine at this point, I would love to see the world of override continued in a fresh and new presentation.

Scoutship - and then heading north and finding out about the Miranu Courier.

The only shame about it at this point is there's nothing new to discover in the EVO world. But you're right, how cool would it be in some other guise!

Hi all.

I just wanted to thank you from the bottom of my heart for making this game! You wont belive how good memories I have of this game! I got a Macintosh and I got a demo disc from "IM Arvutid" in Estonia back in the 1999-2000 I think it was, and found the Shareware version of EV Override.

This game was just incredible! I was so sad that I couldnt buy the game whatever I did, internet was maybe in 1 home out of 1000-s in those years here in Estonia.

But playing this game was just a dream, doing pretty much what you wanted, capturing veery expensive ships with your tiny shuttle haha, I mean I have no words. Great great memories, playing the game with speakers set to high, plasting off aliens, incredible stuff.

So, thanks all for these great games you guys did! I so hope that ports of this old game come to a PC sometime. Maybe even make a new one in 2D.

www.youtube.com/HDTanel - Now reviewing\previewing games ๐Ÿ™‚

@hdtanel, on 19 September 2011 - 07:55 PM, said in EVO Questions:

So, thanks all for these great games you guys did! I so hope that ports of this old game come to a PC sometime.

Actually, they have already come to PC. Check out this page for the link as well as some other goodies. You will need a full purchased copy of EV Nova to use it, however.

Fascinating... just happened to be thinking about EVO and was curious if any of these boards still existed.

Without a doubt, EVO was my favorite of the EV series. Although I also enjoyed many of the plugs, especially Martin's (for whom I beta tested) and bombcat's...

Mr. Cartwright, I found your posts in this thread very interesting. Thank you for both creating the EVO universe and storylines and for discussing them in such detail here. I spent so many hours inside EVO in the 1990s... I feel very old now and I guess in the context of things, I am.

Still a classic game and one of my all time favorites ever.

Jim
(who used to post in cyan type ๐Ÿ˜‰