New EV Override port

Sold out! Expect shipping delays. New stock arriving in 2012.

I've been working on porting Override to the new EV4 engine. It's taken a long time (and there have been many difficulties to work through) but I think I'm almost done now and will soon be ready for beta testing. As usual, the port will not be specifically taking advantage of any of EV4's new features (i.e. no 3D graphics, though since the models are available there will probably be a future addon for this) and will be as true to the original game as I can make it. Multiplayer of course works fine though. Stay tuned...

This post has been edited by Guy : 15 August 2008 - 03:38 PM

I can't wait! 🙂

@guy, on May 8 2008, 08:38 PM, said in New EV Override port:

the new EV4 engine.

But... is this for reals?

I smell a Wumpus.

:blink:

Well, uh, good luck with that, Guy.

Are the steak knives scriptable?

April Fool's was LAST month... 🙂

You people of little faith! Why do you doubt me?

This post has been edited by Guy : 11 May 2008 - 02:54 PM

Because the UE shuttle you sold me didn't have a working hyperdrive?

@guy, on May 11 2008, 08:35 AM, said in New EV Override port:

You people of little faith! Why do you doubt me?

Its not that I don't believe you, Guy; its more a matter of this announcement coming as a bit of a shock. After so many have shot for the stars and failed, it begins to strain credibility to make such a seemingly ostentatious project. I hope your work merits at least some success, if not outright completion, but I readily admit that I do not reserve much hope. Better coders have tried, after all, and with your track record, that is saying something significant.

Attached File EV_Override_for_EV4.png (31.69K)
Number of downloads: 8
It was late, I was restless and I thought "the boards around here need some exercise..."

This post has been edited by Guy : 22 October 2009 - 03:10 PM

You renamed the EV Nova app?

I'm getting an "Unexpectedly Quit" error on a 2.2 GHz Intel MacBook Pro running OS 10.4 when I activate the UE Cloaking Device on your new EVO port for EV4. This doesn't happen when I use the Rebel Cloaking Device; (legal) in the Nova port we worked on last month. In fact, it only seems to happen when the Voinian Dreadnought is onscreen. Are you sure the Intel-native code is stable in the new game engine? I can't be sure but I think the problem involves the code that bypasses 3D modeling rendering in favor of legacy sprite support, but I can't imagine why only the Dreadnought would trigger it, and only when cloaking. When can I expect v0.9a7?

Hm, I can reproduce the crash. It must be to do with the format of the sprite used for the Dreadnought. I can easily fix it in the port data (the sprites should really all be in the same format anyway) but that code is not my responsibility. Make a new ticket for the bug and hopefully someone will get around to fixing it. Unfortunately the next engine release has been delayed somewhat (due to 'technical difficulties') so you'll have to live with those other more critical issues you discovered earlier for a bit longer (I believe they have been fixed though).

@guy, on May 15 2008, 06:29 PM, said in New EV Override port:

Hm, I can reproduce the crash. It must be to do with the format of the sprite used for the Dreadnought. I can easily fix it in the port data (the sprites should really all be in the same format anyway) but that code is not my responsibility. Make a new ticket for the bug and hopefully someone will get around to fixing it. Unfortunately the next engine release has been delayed somewhat (due to 'technical difficulties') so you'll have to live with those other more critical issues you discovered earlier for a bit longer (I believe they have been fixed though).

what is this EV4 engine that you speak of?

@rudy, on May 16 2008, 10:18 PM, said in New EV Override port:

what is this EV4 engine that you speak of?

A joke?

Yes, it's a joke. 🙂 To get that screenshot, I'm positive he just changed the name of the EV Nova app before launching it in windowed view.

Guys, this topic is about the EVO port. If you have questions about the EV4 engine you should PM Dr. Trowel - he has all sorts of inside information. Geek is just annoyed with me because his pilot file got ruined (don't worry, that doesn't happen any more).

I'll take EVERYTHING with a grain of salt!

HAHAHAHA!

Okay, I'll stop messing up your joke for a while. 😛

This post has been edited by Geek : 19 May 2008 - 07:49 AM

What gets me is that that screenshot still clearly shows the game running in Thousands of colours on the Mac, which is my biggest issue with EVN; the OS looks ugly like that, not to mention the fact that some of the new Macs can't even switch to Thousands at the moment.

Please consider this as a change for EV4 - in fact, if you can get it done, post a screenshot ;).