Space Bombs

Lately the space bomb has come up a lot as peoples favorite secondary weapon, not considering the tractorbeam.

For one thing, it is the most powerful weapon available, but it's rather difficult to wield. What's your favorite tactic when it omes to space bomb? Care to share any fun moments you've had with it, or perhaps less successful moments?

Do you...
1. Drop it behind you on chasing amy's? or...
2. rush at full speed, launching the bomb and reverse thrust completely?

BTW, I'm writing this in Safari! 😄

------------------
Here's a funny thing: System 7.5.2

Originally posted by ghostdog:

**Do you...
1. Drop it behind you on chasing amy's? or...
2. rush at full speed, launching the bomb and reverse thrust completely?

1. Not often. This is one of the more difficult ways to deploy the weapon but also keeps you out of harms way.

2. When attacking, yes. Rather than reverse thrust which leaves me still and vulnerable for a moment. I swing left or right and throw on the gas to change my course.

3. My favorite method for deploying space bombs involves dropping a few to float just above a planet just before demanding tribute. I'm sure you can guess what happens when a wave of fighters lifts off into a space-bomb infested area.

-AJ

------------------
0-60 3.0s...1320ft/9.2s...Head Gasket Bursts...

I afterburn it right toward the ship, let the bomb(s) loose, speed right past ("through" the ship), and wait as the target ship screen disappears.

------------------
Social correctness has traditionally had nothing whatever to do with reason, logic, or physics.
-Douglas Adams, Salmon of Doubt

I'm with AJ on this one, my favorite thing to do with them was to deploy them above a planet and demand tribute. It was more effective in the earlier versions of EV where they wouldn't just relaunce immediately but you'd have to demand tribute again before they sent out the next wave (only applied if you destroyed ALL the ships at once, else they came out one at a time).

The other two methods of dropping them behind me or speeding forward, launching, and then reversing I've also used. Another method I've used is to launch one into an asteroid near a ship and let the blast knock it into another space bomb I've placed on it's other side previously. That's more of a showy stunt than a practical method though.

------------------
Just When You Think That You're All Right/I'm Crawlin' Out From The Inside/I Never Hurt Anyone/I Never Listen At All
Just Stay Away From The White Light/I'd Say Your Worst Side's Your Best Side/I Never Hurt Anyone/I Never Listen At All

10/31/96

Originally posted by forge:
**I'm with AJ on this one, my favorite thing to do with them was to deploy them above a planet and demand tribute. It was more effective in the earlier versions of EV where they wouldn't just relaunce immediately but you'd have to demand tribute again before they sent out the next wave (only applied if you destroyed ALL the ships at once, else they came out one at a time).

As far as I can remember, it still works like that. lemme check... Yep. Destroying all the launched ships simultaneously causes the next wave to wait until you demand tribute again.

**The other two methods of dropping them behind me or speeding forward, launching, and then reversing I've also used. Another method I've used is to launch one into an asteroid near a ship and let the blast knock it into another space bomb I've placed on it's other side previously. That's more of a showy stunt than a practical method though.

Space Bomb Pinball. It's an art.

-AJ

------------------

(This message has been edited by AJ (edited 01-07-2003).)

I can imagine that's a bit tricky, forge. Any chance you might want to put it in a short vid to show off?

I know time is limited, so just consider it a suggestion, no more.

------------------
Here's something funny: System 7.5.2

Originally posted by ghostdog:
**I can imagine that's a bit tricky, forge. Any chance you might want to put it in a short vid to show off?

I know time is limited, so just consider it a suggestion, no more.

I'd have to downloaded EV, install it, get far enough along in the game to have a ship to do it (or just cheat), and then maybe practice for a few hours...so, no.

------------------
Just When You Think That You're All Right/I'm Crawlin' Out From The Inside/I Never Hurt Anyone/I Never Listen At All
Just Stay Away From The White Light/I'd Say Your Worst Side's Your Best Side/I Never Hurt Anyone/I Never Listen At All

10/31/96

Originally posted by AJ:
3. My favorite method for deploying space bombs involves dropping a few to float just above a planet just before demanding tribute.

-AJ

How can you make Space Bombs float?

------------------
I am eager to try to ansver mission questions

Originally posted by General Cade Smart:

They float by themselves. If you lay one when you aren't moving, they stay in one place. If you lay while moving really fast, the bomb will float around at a fraction of the speed.

------------------
You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me!
-Ultimate Rebel

I once cheated to get thousands of space bombs, and laid them all over Sol... HA HA HA HA HA!!!

------------------
Visit the Rebels
webboard at (url="http://"http://www.voy.com/115814/")http://www.voy.com/115814/(/url)

Originally posted by Ultimate Rebel:
**They float by themselves. If you lay one when you aren't moving, they stay in one place. If you lay while moving really fast, the bomb will float around at a fraction of the speed.

Technically, they do have a slight forward momentum when they're launched from your ship. If you want them to hold perfectly still, you need to be drifting backwards ever so slightly.

-AJ

------------------

Originally posted by General Cade Smart:

Did you expect them to sink?

------------------
(url="http://"http://www.thangorodrim.net/")Angband(/url) in action! Constant escalation to new depths to find angrier,
meaner letters and more punctuation! -- Mattneu

Originally posted by Blackdog:
**Did you expect them to sink?

Heh heh heh. They are sinking, just not noticably. 😉

------------------
You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me!
-Ultimate Rebel

Originally posted by Blackdog:
**Did you expect them to sink?

Yes. No. No I didn't. 😛

------------------
I am eager to try to ansver mission questions

(This message has been edited by General Cade Smart (edited 01-09-2003).)

(This message has been edited by General Cade Smart (edited 01-09-2003).)

Well, the whole "float space bombs above a planet and demand tribute" doesn't work under the Nova engine :frown:

------------------
Live free or die.

Originally posted by Soviet mikee:
Well, the whole "float space bombs above a planet and demand tribute" doesn't work under the Nova engine:frown:

Sorry mikee, grenades just aren't bombs. Grenades go off after a short while, they are weak, and they are simply meant to knock ships off route. But... they're small, and cheap. That's the only thing that makes them decent.

Edit: Or... were you referring to the fact that defense fleets appear next to the planet, not on it?

------------------
Social correctness has traditionally had nothing whatever to do with reason, logic, or physics.

(This message has been edited by Rawzer (edited 01-09-2003).)

Originally posted by Rawzer:
**Sorry mikee, grenades just aren't bombs. Grenades go off after a short while, they are weak, and they are simply meant to knock ships off route. But... they're small, and cheap. That's the only thing that makes them decent.

Edit: Or... were you referring to the fact that defense fleets appear next to the planet, not on it?

No, I was talking about Space Bombs and how defense fleets don't need another "demand tribute" for the next wave if a whole wave is knocked out all at once.

------------------
Live free or die.

Ah, yes. I never encountered that in EVC, so I don't ever think about it. Thanks for clarifying. 🙂

------------------

I usually place them on a planet.

------------------
The ways of the Bounty Hunter ties with the Rebellion.
Go to Hunter HQ and aquire some vital knowledge!!

Originally posted by Ultimate Rebel:
Heh heh heh. They are sinking, just not noticably.;)

Nothing can sink in space because nothing is down or up. Thats truth not in EVC though darn.(:

------------------
Do whats politically correct
Dont pray in school but have safe sex.