Any Bugs, Post Em here.

Seems to me that the only mice that work in OS 9 are the generic Apple mice. Can anyone tell if a Logitech or Kensington, or some other mouse brand works as well? It's not down to another issue causing the mouse to stop working, since getting out the old one-button fixes the problem.

Problem 1: Sometimes on early missions that require a "delete" or "copy file", the file will not be there.

Problem 2: I performed a mission were I was to break in and delete all files on a computer. I did so, even deleting all the logs, yet the game still said the mission was incomplete.

Problem 3: I took a regular job from ARC. Upon completing the mission they sent me a response e-mail congratulating me and offering me the job with the Revelation virus. However, I was not paid for the regular job I had just performed, and I was forced to click "Abandon" to get rid of the mission. Also, when Aurumor sent me their counter-mission, I completed it succesfully and I was sent a congradtulatory e-mail, yet I was not paid and the mission did not go away, I was forced to click "Abandon", which caused my hard-earned ranking to drop.

If you have a mission where you have to delete all files on a computer or destroy a system, you have to wait for it to appear in the news before they will pay you. Just fast forward 3 hrs or so.

Problem 4: I was asked to copy all files from a computer, decrypt them, then dump them onto another company's server. I downloaded all files, decrypted them, but I could not put the last two files onto the fileserver. I was punished by only being paid a portion of the money.

Originally posted by KJK150:
Problem 4: I was asked to copy all files from a computer, decrypt them, then dump them onto another company's server. I downloaded all files, decrypted them, but I could not put the last two files onto the fileserver. I was punished by only being paid a portion of the money.

Thats not a bug, itjust happens sometimes.

------------------
(url="http://"http://geocities.com/plasticwarz/main.html")http://geocities.com...cwarz/main.html(/url)
(url="http://"http://www.geocities.com/coldstoneGE/")http://www.geocities.com/coldstoneGE/(/url) <~~ Check out my latest CGE project!!!

Originally posted by bodadem:
Thats not a bug, itjust happens sometimes.

-heh-

That's what bugs do. They 'happen somtimes'. When they're not suppsed to. Now this may very well not be a 'bug' (did you delete every other file on the fileserver?), but who are you to decide if it is or not?

-admirald

(This message has been edited by Admiral Dennis (edited 06-07-2003).)

Problem 5: The little telephone pad that appears when you connect to a computer and the software button down in the left corner are both blurry. OSX, Nvidia Gerforce 2 MX.

Originally posted by KJK150:
The little telephone pad that appears when you connect to a computer

Nitpick: IP numbers (and telephone numbers) often contain "0"'s, but the pad doesn't have a "0" key. It manages to type out the "0", though...

'glove

------------------
Compilers - the ultimate god games.
(edit) I wish there was a preview feature on this board. (/edit)

Just as I was quitting, Uplink crashed with a type 2 error. The user file seems corrupted in that Uplink will die when it trys to load it. I'll be happy to email the .USR file somewhere if it helps.

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this rather large bug/exploit:
Apparently you can sell gateways below yours for a profit...
You can also buy multiple gateways at a time...
When buying gateways, it always uses your current gateway to determine price...
Effectively, as soon as you have the 16000 credits for the R-Access Gateway, you can repeatedly buy the starter gateway for a 5000 something profit. Doing this from the Trinity nets about 80000 per "downgrade"
It is sort of fun to humble anything you could have done through illegal transfers, but this should be fixed in a future version (or exploited in the current one)

------------------
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher has not said it
Marcus Tullis Cicero

Okay, this is a little strange. I'll number what happened to help it make sense:
1. I just recently got the message for the first ARC mission and completed "maidenflight" w/ no problems.
2. For some reason unknown to even me, I decided to try and speed up the process of getting the next mission by replying to ARC's congragulatory (sp?) e-mail (just clicked reply then send)
3. I then got the mission prompt for maidenflight again
4. I replyed to that since I had already infected the Arunmor Machine, and I got yet another copy of the maidenflight mission (and so on).
5. Now I have 4 items in the Uplink internal services machine that all say "Faith Progress" (I know that ONE is part of the game).
6. To top it all off, I finally got the prompt for the next mission and Uplink spontaneously quit. I am on a 300mhz computer running Mac 0S 9
i beg someone to fix this or make sense of it.

------------------
Don't conscience-stricken before they hatch.(say this out loud if you dont get it)

I was again experience the problem where there is not enough room on a fileserver to upload a rival company's files. This really needs to be fixed.

I cannot accomplish framing missions. I hack the system, delete the files, and then alter the logs to match the IP of the person I'm supposed to frame. No matter how long I wait, the person is never charged. Do I need to bounce through that person's computer and wait until the active trace reaches them? What's the deal?

Two times, I was order to transfer money from one person's account to another. I did so, but my employer kept saying the transfer had not been completed. Fortunatley, the target had enough money that I was able to do the transfer a second time and I completed the mission. If not, I would have been forced to abort. Please fix these problems!

Two times, I was order to transfer money from one person's account to another. I did so, but my employer kept saying the transfer had not been completed. Fortunatley, the target had enough money that I was able to do the transfer a second time and I completed the mission. If not, I would have been forced to abort. Please fix these problems!

If they say the transfer hasn't been completed, and your target has no money left, you can sometimes still take out a loan in your target's name. 🙂 Just borrow $4000 or so from the bank with the "Change loan" option and transfer that money.

Okay, so it's been some time since I've seen any kind of patch, and I'd LIKE to play this game on my LCD monitor and actually have it work - as I said before, currently, the mouse clicks on the second monitor do nothing.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I discovered that if you locate where those clicks 'should' appear on the primary monitor the game thinks it's on, then you'll get the associated action on the second monitor where it's being displayed.

I've further discovered that 'software cursor' can be used to show you where your cursor actually is on the screen you're not actually on when performing these clicks, proving that the game is confused as to what the correct mouse coordinates are in multimonitor configs of this nature.

Moreover, I've been able to do even more hacking. If you hex-edit your config file, you'll see there's a comment about setting refresh rate; by default, it's set to the hex equivalent of 60; in order to get the LCD working, a note located along side that options file says to set it to -1. Setting 01, however, had the effect of getting it working correctly.

In other words, please 1) default the game to the current refresh setting of the desktop, and at minimum, 2) allow us to select 'same as desktop' as a valid refresh rate to provide that -1 value to config.

While you're at it, turn that into a plain text file please - there's no point in making me go through a hex editor for something I could have just as easily done in TextEdit.

Again, I urge you to get the core UI bugs fixed - multimonitor support is not optional, and neither is getting it to work on my LCD. Until that happens, I'm not buying a product I can't guarantee will work, and this bug has been here since demo - and was reported then, too.

------------------

Originally posted by Jericon:
**Okay, this display problem has been brought to the attention of the developer and they are looking into it. We don't need it to be posted anymore unless anyone has some insight as to what is causing it.

-J

As a sidenote, details were provided on Introspection boards during demo, and provided in the Tech Help forum on this site almost immediately after the day of release. The problems with monitor selection and with mouse pointers being unresponsive in multimonitor setups are more than just transparently obvious - they're previously documented.

Please hurry up with whatever patch you're working on - you've had a broken game shipped since 26 May, and I'm a bit surprised to wait this long for what is fundamentally a requisite patch for anyone with an LCD setup
- probably a good 50% of your customer base.

------------------

well, this is'nt exactly a bug, more like a helpful glitch:
when i accepted a mission from ARC, I completed the mission and when i replied they asked me to tryout the revelation software. Knowing its dangers , info from a friend, i waited for uplink's reply and after i got the money i tried to get the money from the original mission, academic database, and ARC sent me the same revelation mission. In the end I continued the cycle and now I have 138,740 credits.
I am shopping right now and happy as a clam but wanted to point this out for anyone who needs money and hasn't passed this part.

Originally posted by Hacker_999Omega:
well, this is'nt exactly a bug, more like a helpful glitch:
when i accepted a mission from ARC, I completed the mission and when i replied they asked me to tryout the revelation software. Knowing its dangers , info from a friend, i waited for uplink's reply and after i got the money i tried to get the money from the original mission, academic database, and ARC sent me the same revelation mission. In the end I continued the cycle and now I have 138,740 credits.
I am shopping right now and happy as a clam but wanted to point this out for anyone who needs money and hasn't passed this part.

I've had something like this happen too. I ended up having to do every ARC mission twice (or at least claim the money for doing it twice) for every mission.

------------------
Phoenix_br
-------------------------
Witty comment removed on advice from lawyers.
-------------------------

I am happy that I got rich but, what will ARC do to me?
they said my actions wont go unpunished so, what will they do? i installed a motion sensor and tried the self destruct but I dont have enough space. I have gotten as much stuff as I can to assist myself for any and all missions. Personally I would not like to lose all that by them trying to arrest me or something. What will they do and what should I do?

I know I've asked this before and you're all probably sick and tired of hearing it, but can someone please tell me a sure-fire way to frame people. I go in, change the logs to the target's IP, wait for two days, three, four, but he's never arrested. I wouldn't make a big deal about this except that these are the only missions on the Mission List, and I want to make it to the next Ranking.

(first post here, been meaning to register, really I have...)

I've had the same weirdness with the ARC missions, except for one thing:
I'm not registered, I shouldn't have even gotten them. What happened was...

I got the email from the dead agent, and the notice about needing to register.
I decided to play around for a while and have some fun...

4 months later (game time, obviously!), I took a "copy research from server"
mission, which turned out to be from ARC. When I replied, I got the
"maidenflight" emails, but the original mission never went away. The
Arunmor response followed, and the news stories about ARC (that should
be surpressed because I'm not registered) suddenly appeared.

The original missions never go away, even if completed...same with later
missions. (I would assume this is because I'm not registered, but is
that true of everyone else who has had this problem?).

The only thing I'd done with that .usr file was run InterNARC (well, and
make backups I never actually used).

(And, to answer the obvious question -- I am planning to register soon
enough, it's a funding issue...this wasn't a screwed up attempt to get
around the registration, honest!)

------------------
---
...soon I discovered that this rock thing was true.