Any Bugs, Post Em here.

I noticed that too. You can't complete the ARC mission, and everytime that you reply they send you a new copy of Revelation.

Originally posted by cipher:
**I don't know if these have been reported already:

1. Sometimes when you reply a message (for mission accomplishment payment), the email goes out but doesn't return, even if you change to fast time. You have to try several times before you receive a reply.
2. Sometimes you have to click several times to a terminal (in map) for it to be used (let's say, you are making server bouncing). So it's click-click-click-click and finally work (for just one terminal).**

I noticed that you have to allow the reply message to type itself out fully before you can send it.

Originally posted by cipher:
2. Sometimes you have to click several times to a terminal (in map) for it to be used (let's say, you are making server bouncing). So it's click-click-click-click and finally work (for just one terminal).

You probably have speed issues, like so many of us. It sounds like the game doesn't hear you pushing the mouse button, so it doesn't know you're clicking. Try holding the mouse button for a little while longer.

I have this problem myslef - it gets REALLY slow on the world map when you've logged into the InterNIC and gotten those links. One way to releive this problem is to filter the link list with some text that can't be found, like "asdf".

'glove

------------------
Compilers - the ultimate god games.
(edit) I wish there was a preview feature on this board. (/edit)

A few bugs with the software interface:

You cannot move the password breaker window and you cannot move the voice analyzer window (this is HIGHLY annoying, as the password breaker for example covers up some OK buttons, so that you have to close it and reopen afterwards). Also - the File Copier and File Deleter close after use, unlike Log Deleter, which doesn't. They shouldn't close - if you need to copy/delete many files, this is very irritatin.

Originally posted by zzen2:
you cannot move the voice analyzer window

Yes you can. You left-click on the title bar on the window to start moving it, and right-click to let it go. (Requires you to have a two-button mouse, I guess.)

Originally posted by zzen2:
Also - the File Copier and File Deleter close after use, unlike Log Deleter

While I agree with you, the idea seems to be that to copy or delete more than one file you open another instance of the program.

'glove

------------------

I tried moving the voice analyzer exactly the way you described. Maybe I didn't try hard enough - will do so again. BTW - I have a 2 button mouse.

------------------

sometimes the sub menus doesn't display correctly, I'm talking about the menus that have the applications (softwares), like when you select hardware and the submenu appears showing nuke gateway or the cam, etc. etc. this happens more frequently when you have a lot of apps (more than 3) in one of those sub menus.

------------------

Originally posted by Lurid:
I noticed that you have to allow the reply message to type itself out fully before you can send it.**

I never send the messages before the app finishes writing it. I wait and still they don't reply. Last night I had to send the message 5 times before I could get a response.

------------------

Aside from the occasional lock up where my computer becomes completely unresponsive I find that if I have been playing for a while like say 1/2 hour or more the computer locks up when I quit the game and I am forced to reboot the system. If I start the game and then immediately quit everything is fine.

Seems to me that this game has some serious bugs. I have never used a program that was as unstable as this one is. I'm really disappointed because I have essentially paid for a beta.

Not worth the money in my consideration.

------------------

When an administrator finds me on a LAN, I get cut off... when I come back, he never logs back on and I can do whatever I want... something tells me this isn't supposed to happen.

------------------
"If your armor is >70% after battle, you are not a true warrior" -Me
"God does not play dice" -Albert Einstein
"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity." -Albert Einstein
Et je dirai: "C'est la vie!"

I was doing the first mission (for about the 20th time) and tried copying the Uplink test file. It still said Choose Source. I exited the user, seeing if the problem with disappear when I came back. I tried to load it up. Then it said (url="http://"http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290046797&idx;=2")this(/url).

So I created a new user. Still didn't work!

------------------
Keep what ye c'n git, an' keep what ye ha'e, for that is the wey t' gettin' rich - Old Scottish Commoner Saying - "Mac users are loyal. PC users are stubborn

Further bugs:

• you cannot click-and-hold on the scrolling arrows
  • the slider bar often signalized the full list is visible, when in fact it isn't. The slider does not scale well proportionaly.
  • no scroll-wheel support. This would really, REALLY improve the game experience for those of us with such mouses.

The ability to store multiple routes on the map would be next on my wish-list, after the scroll-whell.

(BTW - thanks for the tip on moving the voice analyzer window. I tried it again and sure enough - it works.)

------------------

(beware slight plotline spoiler)

I had a mission to check on the status of a guy's bank account and email the balance back to the people. So I do so, and his balance is 1395, and I go to send my email, and once I send the email, my bank mission stayed there, but I got the ARC mission and email that comes with a copy of revelation included. I hadn't even started the storyline yet, but I got the virus file sent to me. I tried replying again to my bank mission and got another copy of the exact same ARC mission.

Of course, the only thing to do at this point was to abandon all 3 missions... so now i've fallen from intermediate back to beginner, all due to a silly bug...

So I got my rating back and sorta tiptoed my way through a mission or two for Arunmor (which didn't make much sense because I think I missed the first few plot missions). Right now I have the mission to install the RevelationTracker, and I think i've done everything I was supposed to correctly, but when I send my reply email, nothing happens at all. The mission doesn't disappear and I don't get any email. By the way, the Faith Version Tracker shows up on the uplink internal services, even though i've never even heard of Faith yet.

This character was my first one to successfully rob a bank (800k woohoo), but I fear i'll have to recreate him due to having broken my plot. Any help?

I found a new bug.

I was hacking into the criminal database.
I selected admin in my record search.
I added Parole Violation to the record and clicked arrest.

This causes Uplink to quit.

------------------

if you generate the trace on the map, it should be possible that you go back one step/station with e.g. alt pressed (like it was in ev)

but very nice game - reminds me on "hacker" (c64 🙂

Here is a annoying bug: Sometimes, in the list of programs, not everything shows up in the submenus... such as the security menu. Not quite sure how to explain this, but I have picture proof. Where do I send the picts?

------------------
"If your armor is >70% after battle, you are not a true warrior" -Me
"God does not play dice" -Albert Einstein
"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity." -Albert Einstein
Et je dirai: "C'est la vie!"

Sometimes, when i play, an then logout using the X button, it dosn't save my proggress, i played for 45 minutes (real time) and 1 month (uplink time), and when i logged out, cause i needed my gateway upgraded, it dosn't save my work.

------------------
Trust is a weakness
-Officialy been waiting since may 9th for mac version uplink 🙂
(Yess! It finally came)

Mission bug: Sometimes when stealing large amounts of files ("Steal research files" and such), the server to upload to doesn't have enough memory to store all the files, forcing you to take a pay cut.

Originally posted by phoenix9000:
Where do I send the picts?

Just upload them somewhere and post a link to them here.

'glove

------------------

Originally posted by Kidglove II:
Mission bug: Sometimes when stealing large amounts of files ("Steal research files" and such), the server to upload to doesn't have enough memory to store all the files, forcing you to take a pay cut.

I also get that bug.

If you connect to a server which you don't have visible on your map, and you have a lot of other servers visible on your map, and you go to your map, all of the server names will start shifting around for a while.

Often, when I login to something with an account on various servers, then disconnect, then connect and relogin, I've noticed that the login (which hadn't changed) is not stored on the Known Access Codes list.

Also, when the password breaker finishes breaking the password, the password is not added to the Known Access Codes list, nor does it automatically log you in (well, auto-login would be more of a nice feature, but oh well).

There seems to be a fairly large (1-2MB) memory leak on Mac OS 9. When I run the game for a short period, do something with my char, quit and backup the char (so I can use the backed up char if something goes awry with what I've done), I've noticed that the system's available memory has dropped a small amount in the "About the Finder" box. After several times of doing this, I quickly run out of memory (having only 96MB of system memory).

When I turn off the "Run in Fullscreen" option, the game never runs in full screen mode again, even when turning it back on. In order to get the game to run full screen again, I have to delete the "options" file in the Users folder.

The game should hide the system mouse if the user has elected to use the software mouse.

There are no selections in the "Game Options" menu of the options screen. If game options are only available to registered users, you should disable the menu like you'd disabled the other two menus.

There should be a way to automatically filter the map links as well as the links list (as opposed to needing to manually select whether or not to show a server on the map).

Sometimes, I get distorted images. The image distortions I've seen are (listed by most common):

1. Small map (click on it to go to large map)
  2. Game Loading Screen (Ambrosia Software splash screen)
  3. Character Loading Screen (where you stare at the face, or the weird "atomic" (?) image) - this screen isn't distorted, but is sometimes just completely white.
  4. Other images
    Often when the images are distorted, a simple reboot of either the game or the Machine fixes the problem for a short period. This problem seems to only occur shortly after creating a new character, and does not always assert itself. It does not seem to affect the execution of the game's code, but is just visually annoying.

Once, the game had crashed while I was doing something in the game's console (I forget what it was).

Additionally, there should be a message displayed if you select the wrong type for the software you are currently clicked on. For example, if you open up the log deleter/modifier/undeleter, and then click on a file, there should be a message box saying "This software is for log entries, not files", or something of that nature, and something similar for using file software on log entries, crackers on non-crackable items, etc etc. I was confounded for a short period from not being alerted to using the wrong software.

(This message has been edited by tA-Kane (edited 06-03-2003).)

Originally posted by Kidglove II:
**Mission bug: Sometimes when stealing large amounts of files ("Steal research files" and such), the server to upload to doesn't have enough memory to store all the files, forcing you to take a pay cut.

I don't think that's a bug. It's incentive to upgrade your memory banks!

Maybe we should have a topic for an Uplink wishlist vs. what we percieve to be Uplink bugs. I think that's why the "Poorest Ambrosia" topic got so many replies and a wishlist wouldn't be such a negative way of expressing our thoughts about Uplink.

------------------