New level designs?

Uh...heh heh. Sorry, neither of the levels have any defined goals and don't make much sense. Keep working at it.

Ahh... Actually, Underwater does. In that level, you destroy all of the enemies in the first room. A teleporter opens. Do the same with the next room. Another teleporter opens. Same again. In the first room, there are now three 'porters. In all but the last room, one uniquely colored Ball object rests on the ground. The last room has three enemies and three goals. Coincidence? Uh, no. Put the balls in the goals and the win teleporter opens.

The beginning level is still in flux. I want you to kind of proofread the level and see if you can figure out why I'm having so many problems. That's why I put in so many comments. The version of the levels in "files" are in Appleworks 6 format, so they should be fully editable.

Also, in other news, while I was (still am) waiting for a reply from Katana on the topic of why The Beginning is so screwed up, I began work on my other new set, Perspectives. It's made up of two separate level sets, detailing aspects of colors (don't ask until you've played them): Positivity and Negativity. The levels are generally pretty simple, so I should have a lot less trouble making them. I suspect that this is one of those things that's going to make me glad I added the Designers Guild to the Avara Guild forum.

Well, for one thing, I never use baseheight unless it is necessary. In your level, it doesn't look like you need it. Avoid making your own ramps for right now. Instead, copy and paste someone else's or at least study their code, because your arc doesn't look right--other than that, everything about your ramp is fine. Your scripting looks fine to me for the most part. I was just saying that the level itself made no sense though I understand that most likely you were just testing things.
Underwater makes sense after you explain it. I think if the level is to stay the way it is, then a readme is mandatory to tell the player what to do.

Whew, slow down, Katana.

At the moment, I'm in the process of attempting to hunt down Plastic Chicken-he seems to have an acute understanding of fields, which will be necessary in my latest Avara project.

I have a concept I'd like to describe on a future date-or on another topic, anyway. Stay tuned.

-§torm

Katana !!!, on Jul 12 2005, 01:30 PM, said:

Well, for one thing, I never use baseheight unless it is necessary.View Post

Yeah. I was just trying to find out if baseHeight would meet with less disaster than did all of my other attempts. Obviously, I failed.

Avoid making your own ramps for right now. Instead, copy and paste someone else's or at least study their code, because your arc doesn't look right--other than that, everything about your ramp is fine.
View Post

Since I made that version of The Beginning, I've figured ramps out in quite a bit more detail. The ramp I had there was just to find out how they worked. (turns out I was trying to do it sideways and backwards, lol) I'm still having a problem with getting ramps to extend over normal wall blocks, though. Every time I try to extend the ramp, it seems to just get furher away from where I want it. Any ideas?

Your scripting looks fine to me for the most part. I was just saying that the level itself made no sense though I understand that most likely you were just testing things.View Post

Yeah, I know. I was just experimenting with different variants on the code blocks I was using; a lot of the stuff found there will be long-gone when I'm done.

Underwater makes sense after you explain it. I think if the level is to stay the way it is, then a readme is mandatory to tell the player what to do.View Post

Yeah. So I figured after your first comment. What I'm probably going to do is make a readme for the level set itself, then also include a walkthrough.

Underwater has some problems. When I play the level, I keep accidentally throwing the ball away from me, so that I can't get it. When I try to retrieve the ball, I get teleported.

But I wanna nade you while flying annoying circles around you. Oh, well...

Ummmm...WTF?
😄

Yeah. I know. I could fix that pretty easily if I knew how to make domes solid-walled. 'Course, then I couldn't guarantee that they don't go completely solid on you...

Yeah. If you made the domes solid you wouldn't need to restrict certain parts of the level by using teleporters.

On the other hand, I've never seen how a Dome object reacts to being made solid. What if it solidifies on the inside?

Is there a problem with that happening?

Yes. What happens when the area that surrounds the incarnator point suddenly becomes solid, mid-warp-in, do you suppose?

Uh. Try having the incarnators NOT warp into the dome?

I can't. If I did that, the domes would be useless. Did you miss the part where I explained what was inside them? Or am I just being stupid and forgetting that I haven't told you yet?

Your being stupid.

<QUOTE> But I wanna nade you while flying annoying circles around you. Oh, well... </QUOTE>
AC, is this another one of your hopeless attempts to be funny? Because once again you've failed miserably...

The entire level is inside the bubbles/domes. If the inside solidifies, HECTOR incarnation is impossible and the level cannot be played. Understand? If you want an example, just try placing any solid object with the same arc as the incarnator point.

Hmmmm. Weird.

Katana: Sorta an attempt at being funny, but it also points out a limit on the flying technique.

Graphically, nothing is solid, because it doesn't need to be.

Only one way to find out.

Hmmm. Well, the results are less than spectacular.