New level designs?

I need to see if this'll work or not-if you see my server tonight, please attempt to connect to it.

I'm going to download as many Avara levels as possible-for when the time comes. I'd also like some of you to PM me (if you have my old levels), so we can work out something. I'm going to need to get some of my old equipment and the levels I made with them for my old projects.

Thanks,
-§torm

D'you guys know what Avara most needs? A freaking level-editor program!!! That would solve all of our problems right now, don't you guys think?

Also, I would have gotten on two days ago to help if I hadn't been in southern Utah at the time. Sorry, Storm.

This post has been edited by Q-Lok : 30 May 2005 - 03:42 PM

Ok. Who here wants to code a level editor?

I don't think anybody's really feeling up to it. By the time it would be done, I think we would have five more level sets made.

Well, at least §torm's server works again. At least, it did a few hours ago. I can't seem to connect right now.

OK, what did you do to bypass that evil router? I'd like to start a server of my own.

Well, you need to discover your router's address, first. It takes a bit of doing, but you'll figure it out at some point.

How it worked for me is that I connected to said address and typed in the correct name and password (that being "admin" and "password", or, sometimes, "123" (on the password field).). Then, I went to the handy-dandy "Port Forwarding/Triggering" section of the NetGear router's configuration page.

Now, what you want to do is to turn on the port forwarding bit (somehow) on port 19567, on your computer's IP address. (Which should be listed in either "Network" for OS X, or "TCP/IP" (I believe) for 9 and below.)
My configuration for that resembles:
Service Name: Avara
Service Type: TCP/UDP
Starting Port/Ending Port: 19567
Server IP Address xxx.xxx.x.x

Port triggering, I believe, is the next major step. My settings resemble
this:
Service Name: Test-Avara
Service User: Any
(There's several IP address boxes under that on my side-however, they don't need to be filled.)
Service Type: TCP
Triggering Port: 19567

Required Inbound Connection
Connection Type: TCP/UDP
Starting/Ending Port: 19567

That should technically be enough to get Avara working again. Of course, this can be done with anything you have in mind-basically, it gives you mastery over your previously defiant connection.

Hopefully, this will be at least of some help to you.

-§carlet §torm

This post has been edited by Consul Bob : 31 May 2005 - 04:44 AM

6-_- Um... Can't you just use the AvaraTracker? It still works.

Yeah §§'s server is up now, but I can't join.

I had some new ideas for levels in school today, like an abnormal set. I think if I make one, it'll be called "Particle Accelerator" or "1984" or "Y2K" or something like that. So far I don't have ANY abnormal levels in Thallium or Moribund and I like KOTH levels. Just throwin' random ideas out the window though. My levels should be ready for beta by the end of--oh, say next week 🙂 My teacher's are really piling on the school work to teach us standards and s### so I need a break from level making.

Now, I know I am not an expert in the field of networking. After looking at §§'s steps, and looking at my router configuration, they are totally different (silly belkins).

Anyway, my "special application port" page looks kinda like this:

Trigger Port Trigger Type Public Port Public Type Enabled
(field for 5 #s) (TCP/UDP) (large field) (TCP/UDP) (Check box)

There are some other pages such as DMZ enabling and a virtual server. Since the Virtual Server looks important I'll put that here too:

Private IP Private Port Type Public Port
(192.168.2.__) (5 # field) (TCP/UDP) (5 # field)

So, if any of you smarter networking people can decipher that, that'd be cool. I could try serving, though I don't have an incredibly fast computer or internet. But it would still be fun to try anyway...

-Y

Any computer that can play Starcraft with me and complain about the lag is fast enough to serve six people, so long as there isn't a 28.8k connection between the server and the served.

... or you could take a 68060-accelerated Mac (I'm not quite sure Avara is PPC-native) and serve with it. Just make sure you still aren't using said 28.8 connection.

The Apple Cřre, on Jun 1 2005, 04:00 PM, said:

... or you could take a 68060-accelerated Mac (I'm not quite sure Avara is PPC-native) and serve with it. Just make sure you still aren't using said 28.8 connection.View Post

OK, OK. I know when I'm out-technobabbled. I now see that you were referring to a network (meaning that you guys know each other and I'm the outsider). If I'm wrong again, I'd appreciate knowing. Anyways, assuming that we're playing this over the 'net on a standard Avara server registered on AvaraTracker, then I have no problems with it.

The Apple Cřre, on Jun 1 2005, 04:00 PM, said:

... or you could take a 68060-accelerated Mac (I'm not quite sure Avara is PPC-native) and serve with it. Just make sure you still aren't using said 28.8 connection.View Post

OK, OK. I know when I'm out-technobabbled. I now see that you were referring to a network (meaning that you guys know each other and I'm the outsider). If I'm wrong again, I'd appreciate knowing. Anyways, assuming that we're playing this over the 'net on a standard Avara server registered on AvaraTracker, then I have no problems with it.

Actually, Q-Lok, I don't "know" many of the people talking on this forum. I'm acquainted with some, but don't feel left out.

I probably considered that my computer was slow earlier. But considering Apple Cřre's comment a 500 Mhz G3 on a 256k internet connection might not be that bad. I won't be able to find out if i might get the router fixed. :mellow:

-Y

I think that's the plan.

About the 68060:
It was meant to power the Performas of the day when the 601 was hot. Unfortunately, Motorola built it too well, and it could play rough with the 601, so Apple never made a line of 68060-based macs.

I ran across this fooling around on this website in the m68k section.

It's still a 68k chip, and isn't well suited to playing high-polygon-count Avara (I think).

But, yeah, we're going through the tracker, like normal. I was just speculating about a possible (and highly unlikely... you won't find many of these chips even on ebay) server configuration.

Well, it takes a bit of experimentation. I'm not particularly skillful in the field of networking.

The server (and my computer) crashed the other day-what did you load on my server, anyhow?

It should be back up soon.

-Bob

What did who load on your server?

Somebody better not be impersonating me.

Ah. Thank you for clarifying, AC, and thank you for your remarks, Ymi. I, for one, haven't checked the trackers for some time, but I get the feeling that he's referring to someone else. If he isn't, AC may have something to worry about. In the meantime, we ought to set up a time for Avara play. I'm way out of practice.

Avara needs originality, so today I deleted a plains of vast clone and another boring level. ALL my levels will be new designs. I'm working really hard on this set, but I've found out my style is a bit like Mondo's. Please don't complain. I'm trying my best.

Agreed. That's why I came up with my original "Last Hurrah" idea. It was to be a 3-on-3 capture the flag set in two fortresses with mounted guns and defenses, along with balconies for defense and a semi-enclosed path between the two fortress gates. I only wish I understood Avara a tad better. That would make my job easier, of course. Also, I think that if I ever do finish it, I'll rename it. After all, LH was going to be the big bang that Avara went out with. But, now people seem to be regaining interest... So LH is no longer a suitable name.

Hmm... people seem to be regaining interest in EVC as well.

Long live the Classics!

Long live the classics indeed. Of course, the main reason I mostly play the classics is that I cannot download really big files on my crappy internet connection, without being online for about a month for one download.

I have no idea about creating levels for Avara, although I have some inteesting ideas.