New level designs?

I believe there is a level editing manual that came with Avara.

If you're like most Mac users (but not me), you run OS X and have developer tools readily available. If you are like some other Mac users, you have a copy of Linux on your other drive and can use that to build a level editor. Have fun.

Yeah, I attempted to read it once. It made me very confused.

Cocoa is perfect for a level editor. (Katana abandons level set project to work on level editor). Well, I actually won't abandon my set project. BTW HOW MANY LEVELS SHOULD IT BE? It's coming slow because I'm actually experimenting with level editing TOOLS. Hehehe. I've a few small projects that are pretty cool.

JUST KIDDING!

Hah.

Anyway, I've recently switched over from my old configuration-the one that I've used for several years-to focus on a new one. I'll lose much of my original skill from this move, but I believe I have quite a bit to gain, in the long run.

-Captain Bob

What configuration are you referring to, §torm? Computer configuration, or what?

Keyboard configuration.

-Storm

OK, I'm back. Gentlemen, start your servers.

Whenever you're good and ready.

Semper fidelis.

Right, so am I. I've now scrapped all previous projects in favor of something new. All bets are off, and my new set involves an adventure game-style plotline and progressive levels designed for co-op play, up to 6 players.

Note: In "Underwater," (name subject to change) I strongly suggest using a heavy hull.

Sounds awesome. Avara doesn't have enough solo levels.

If I use a light hull, it's probably not me. In fact, i drive a heavy.

If I was online in the past two weeks, it definitely wasn't me. I've been all over the Midwest U.S. with nothing more powerful than an eMate.

Pilot. Please.

"Drive" is only used for cars-not for planes and the like. And it's a bit inappropriate to say "Drive" for HECTORs, since they can actually jump.

§torm

Yup, it is very important that we are politically correct about these things... <_<

Bah, I don't find see that it is important that one "pilots" there HECTOR rather than "drive" it. I figure as long as everyone understands that the HECTOR is being operated it really doesn't matter. I just like to play and blow up the other people wether I'm piloting or driving the HECTOR.

Please try to stay on topic 🙂
Oh, and I hope none of you mind, I will soon post a preview (written up by yours truly) of my set 🙂
Q-Lok, if you get some working betas of your solo levels, I'd like to see 'em.

Hey, I was just commenting on a comment. I'd like to test someone's betas as well, though.

Right. I suppose I'll create a working beta of the first few when they're done. For the most part, they shouldn't be too difficult to make.

Oh, and I could use some help on a customized BSPT model for the set. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate a PM on the subject.

About the heavy hull, it's actually more up to the player. If you think you're best at dodging, you can probably get by on a light or a medium. And, I decideded on the new name for the underwater level, but you guys don't get to see it 'til it's done...

If you're into making solo levels, take a look at "The Keys" by Mondo--it's pretty amazing. Oh, and about the BSPT thing, if you can contact Sphinx, he might do it for you. Or perhaps PC could solve your problem (Plastic Chicken).

Hmm. I've already played Keys, although the Spires set is the only solo/co-op set I intend to make. The BSPT should be fairly simple, I just need the actual shape for the Spires themselves for use in a couple of levels. Only problem, of course, is that I have just about exactly no idea how to work MeshWorks.

Uh... I seem to have run into a rather large number of problems. At once.

First off: my progress on the level I'm working on has ground to a halt due to a large amount of different scripting mistakes, none of which I have been able to diagnose properly so far.

Second: I have a .sit of the Spires set so far (going very slowly on the good days; only two half-good levels), but I can't really send it to anyone because I don't have your e-mail adresses. If you're interested, you can PM me with your e-mail address, I supppose.

Third: My outgoing e-mail server is having problems, so I can receive e-mail but not send. I'll try to upload the file to Geocities for now, but I'm skeptical of that working.

Whew. Anyways, I need at least one person to give me their address, so that I may send them the problematic level file (AppleWorks 6 file) -- complete with comments and debugging instructions -- and have them deal with the problem. I'll send it complete with set file, PICTs, AW6 files, and, as an added bonus, a working version of the Underwater level (real name to be released). Any takers?

EDIT: The GeoCities upload seems to have worked. The file is at www.geocities.com/qloktheinvincible/spires.sit. In case you're interested. The level that unlocks after "beating" The Beginning is not available yet, so I didn't really think it was really necessary to un-program the unlocker. Underwater works, and is presently enabled, but will not stay that way for too much longer. (The Beginning, by the way, is the level with the problems in it. I don't suggest even trying it yet unless you are actually going to try to fix something.) When and if you guys fix any of the problems, just e-mail it back to vdg@ypc.net and I'll take a look at your work. Thanks, guys! Q-Lok out.

This post has been edited by Q-Lok : 07 July 2005 - 01:10 PM

I'll take a looksee at it.

So... Uh... What do you think? very insecure Hehehe...