Earth Quest

This topic serves 3 functions

To announce to the world that I have uploaded Earth Quest upon you
I managed to bungle my first 2 attempts, just in case there are 2 indecipherable files up there...
An alternative to email feedback

Please post your thoughts on Earth Quest. And remember - any post is a good post.

----------------
You only find humour in what terrifies you - Freud

Normally I don't reply to my own posts, but I thought it was worth mentioning that I have found a bug just after uploading my game.

- TRT machineguns and railguns are NOT supposed to have nuclear explosions.

I'm upgrading the preview of my upcoming plugin. If moderators find something called 'EarthQuest1.0.6' or whatever then please do not hesitate to replace the one there.

I've also added a couple of new ships, and the addictive quality of my nuclear explosion and accompiment will make you throw your Ishiman gunship in the bin.

-----------
"One cannot communicate without making judgements."

best graphics ive ever seen for ares. I commend you. Keep up the good work!

------------------
just take my post, and imagine everything is speeled right.
nickel count: 9

Thankyou, I put quite a lot of work into those graphics. If you want you can go and edit it. Finding a few ships you don't get during the normal course of playing.

I would also like people who visit this topic fill in a small questionnaire:

What did you like most about Earth Quest?
A) Graphics
🆒 Physics
C) Other

What did you hate about Earth Quest?
(Same as the above)

What would like to see added?
(")

Did you think level 1 was decent enough?
(")

Are the ships well enough balanced for their price?
(")

Something else...

Dankerschun!

-----------------
Intelligence is the function of our minds that controls our desire, a force of selfishness and identity. We destroy self in order to preserve the greater whole, and suppress desire in order to survive. - The Mesonic Creed

1. Graphics.

2. Not much of anything was really terrible. Although, if you get the rest of the plug as good as the graphics, you'll have a really great plug.

3. I'd like to see the completed version, for one.

4. Sure.

5. They seemed all right.

------------------
"I am the supreme dictator of the universe, it's just that nobody knows about it yet."
"Never do today what you can put off until tomorrow."

The graphics are a lot more detailed than they appear (except the station)... I've just decided to turn this into a progress log.

- 1.0.0. Initial release

- 1.0.1. Fixed bug with railgun

- 1.0.2. Added proper nuclear explosion with accompiniment

- 1.0.3. Added level 2 '...and into the asteroids.'

- 1.0.4. Began work on preview update

- 1.0.5. Finished modelling Meson ship the 'Karashoun.'

This post will be edited constantly.

---------------
Intelligence is the function of our minds that controls our desire, a force of selfishness and identity. We destroy self in order to preserve the greater whole, and suppress desire to maintain our Foresight. - The Mesonic Creed

1. graphics, but im not saying the rest is bad...

2. uh....

3. nukes really need a ney graphic, like a shockwave or something

4. it was easy, but o well, ive been playing mags plug so any level is easy for me 😛

5. sure, i guess

------------------
nickel count: 9

Yay! The plug by the guy who made the excellent Ishiman Quest is here! Rejoice! I will download it immediately!

I like the plot... 😄 Still not at home, so I can't comment on the graphics...

------------------
--Talon_Karrde, MoD, 61:4--
Visit (url="http://"http://www.planetarion.com")www.planetarion.com(/url) and sign up for some real gaming experience!

(This message has been edited by Talon Karrde (edited 02-27-2001).)

Hmm... not many people seem to have downloaded it as yet. Either they are hopeless idiots beyond recognition of sentience or don't visit the add-ons section very much.

Storyline: I'm glad that you think so. I basically thought it up in one period of an extremely boring maths lesson and voila! I'm a great fan of storylines, and so expect more in that regard soon.

Although I rated myself 60 on the Review site, I think Ishiman Quest was good as well. It astounds me how many people download my NewShips utility, and yet I see not a single plugin with them in it! I plan on releasing TheZhukovCollection soon.

-------------
Intelligence is the function of our minds that controls our desire, a force of selfishness and identity. We destroy self in order to preserve the greater whole, and suppress desire in order to survive. - The Mesonic Creed

I would really appreciate, say, 3 new ship sets that would enable me to create my own storyline, instead of just having to implement the new ships in the Ares universe. That would be cool, as I have my own plot set up already, it's pretty complicated... 😄

Can you do that? Please? (I don't know how to do graphics...:-(

------------------
Visit (url="http://"http://www.planetarion.com")www.planetarion.com(/url) and sign up for some real gaming experience!

Actually, the Zhukov Collection contains:

Sol Federation Fighter
" " Bomber
" " Frigate
" " Cruiser
Argeisian Interceptor
" Corvette
Coranusian Tankship
" Scythe
Pirate Corvette
" Cruiser
{Naarad Fighter
Naarad Frigate
Naarad Destroyer
" HVD
Naarad Carrier}
Unused ESF Graphic 'Heavy Bomber'
Earth Quest Explosion
Planet Graphic 1
" " 2
Mining Station
Sun

The {} signifies that I am seriously considering not giving those ships away, because, although they are not detailed enough for my plugin, I am still using the complex texture design they have when I remodel them.

Of course, if you make another post telling me your storyline I might even make some for you specially (they're not hard really. Just make a couple of rectangles and slap a texture on them).

--------------

Originally posted by Count Altair El Alemein:
Of course, if you make another post telling me your storyline I might even make some for you specially (they're not hard really. Just make a couple of rectangles and slap a texture on them).

Could you give me some suggestions on making textures? Right now what I do is just go into Photoshop and use filters on a color.

------------------

i will talk to you about your generous offer to make graphics as soon as i get a storyline worked out (1-2 days)

------------------
nickel count: 10

For instance, for making the armour in EQ:

1. Photoshop - make new 300 square pixels. Add noise - amount 100 and monochromatic.
2. Blur until it attains uniformly grey colour.
3. Create a new layer (layer 1)
4. Draw lots of lines, as in planks of steel.
5. Colour in as patches, then fragment or something fancy.
6. Adjust the opacity of layer 1 to about 36%.

Now you must merge visible and save in JPEG format.

(I have StrataProStudio 2.0 so this may sound a little off-beat)

Go into your 3-D ap.
Create new surface texture, put JPEG picture on top. Modify colour of it to whatever race colour you have.
Adjust micro-shine to preset: Titanium, and adjust it a little shinier.
Make a totally different JPEG and use it for Opacity.
Go to every single picture filter except transparency and put either your first or second picture in.
Do whatever you have to do to make it shiny.

And remember, - consistency is the key to immortality.

---------------

Thanks, I'll post my plot in the Plugin Development board.

------------------

Nice ships and explosions!

I agree with Admiral Grammaticus--the ships are cool, the explosions even better. IYou might want to make it clearer in the mission briefing of level one what you ae trying to do.

------------------

You know you've got skill when the Admiral himself commends you. And I agree wholeheartedly (although the first level could be a little tougher). Once I can comendeer control of ASI (the "head" of the company seems to have fallen off the face of the earth) I'll see if we could use you.

------------------
The Oracular Net would like to know your favorite color

Hmmm... Slug has mentioned that I might be able to get into ASI a couple times... but I really don't know anything about contacts, the site... pretty much nothing except it's an elite group of Ares, EV/O programmers, and what the acronym stands for.

------------------
-=MoC 94:19=-
"Cheaters don't really win, and winners don't really cheat. Unless you're talking politics." -Durandal
"Fate protects fools, children, and ships named Enterprise." -Riker to Bridge Crew
(This message has been edited by Pallas Athene (edited 11-27-2830).)

I'm not sure about joining ASI, although the offer pleases me. Napoleon once said: 'It is better to fight allies than be one.' And it seems that since ASI have produced no plugs for ages that they have grown defunct in their workings. Otherwise one-man plugin makers like me wouldn't be able to steal the spotlight.

The first level is intended to be so easy that people who have never played Ares before should be able to finish it. I'm thinking of Earth Quest's full-blown counterpart as something approaching an Expansion Set, not just your average-joe plug.

Actually, I'm going to announce it's full name in a topic circa 800 hours from now.

----------
The insane possess knowledge that we don't.

(This message has been edited by Count Altair El Alemein (edited 03-01-2001).)