Coldstone bugs and Panther

Restarting instead of resurrecting

How are you going to get Colstone working in Panther when Panther doesn't work in Panther?

I just recently bought OS X so I haven't any version earlier than 10.3.2 on the CDs. And I made the mistake of upgrading through Software Update to 10.3.5 before trying out my existing, and new, applications.

But I can tell you this - 10.3.5 is an entomologist's delight. I have downloaded several apps which were tested under 10.3.1, according to the source sites, and were therefore Panther compatible. Except that they bug out in 10.3.5. Try the latest version of Lemke's FontBook, for instance.

And a broken Safari - didn't have half the toolbar icons until I loaded them from a skin. And I still can't get the Activity window to display when Safari tells me there was an error in loading a page and I should see the Activity window. And a regularly re-occurring message in the Finder that a doc is going to open an app for the first time etc., when I just quit the app from a different document ten minutes ago! And Finder windows that can't remember their configuration for ten SECONDS! Close 'em and reopen 'em and you have to reset them!

And my biggest current gripe. I don't get the full File Manager display when I use Save As in an application. I get a little dialog which only displays the top level of my Finder, disks, the Applications and Documents folders, and Recent Items. And I haven't yet discovered a way to navigate down level from this dialog to put something in a sub-folder.

I am getting so frustrated with this version of OS X that I am seriously considering writing off the cost and going back to good old OS 9.

p.s. What's the "Warn - 0%" in my little message box?

This post has been edited by JohnnyAndrews : 22 September 2004 - 10:25 PM

Try having Disk Utility repair permissions on your HD and also run norton and disk warrior if you have them. By the way, the second part of that post belongs in the "Help on the Way" forum...

As for Coldstone status, I don't know. Some of the mods may have more info, but I wouldn't get your hopes up for any major news any time soon. I project a month or two at least... (I could be completely wrong, but that's my guess...).

EDIT: That warn thing is to tell you how many times you've been warned for inappropriate posts by a moderator. I think that if it gets to 100%, you're banned...

This post has been edited by CI-Ia0s : 22 September 2004 - 10:32 PM

by the by, i had a bit of an issue when i first upgraded to panther ( all 3 days ago ), i initially set up a custom instal for panther picking and choosing what to install, when i relaunched under panther the finder would not work, it literally would relaunch and quit and relaunch and quite incesssantly until i managed to jump in before it did it itself to stop the infinite loop.

Anyhow i resintalled 10.3.4 and hit archive and install, mind you it was aobut 10x quicker, all my prefs and real applications ( the ones i acquired on my own) were in place.

Also i'd avoid combo updates if at all possible, update in the proper grade don't;
upgrade from 10.2.4 to 10.2.8 wth a combo upgrade its suicide.
go 10.2.6 then 10.28...etc so forth

random etc

ellrx, on Sep 23 2004, 03:17 PM, said:

by the by, i had a bit of an issue when i first upgraded to panther ( all 3 days ago ), i initially set up a custom instal for panther picking and choosing what to install, when i relaunched under panther the finder would not work, it literally would relaunch and quit and relaunch and quite incesssantly until i managed to jump in before it did it itself to stop the infinite loop.

Anyhow i resintalled 10.3.4 and hit archive and install, mind you it was aobut 10x quicker, all my prefs and real applications ( the ones i acquired on my own) were in place.

Also i'd avoid combo updates if at all possible, update in the proper grade don't;
upgrade from 10.2.4 to 10.2.8 wth a combo upgrade its suicide.
go 10.2.6 then 10.28...etc so forth

random etc
View Post

I haven't had any problems with Panther such as you seem to have had, Johnny, or you ell. The only thing that really broke for me in Panther was Coldstone et al. - but that'd been broken since before Jaguar for me, as I'd already migrated to OSX before Coldstone was even released, and the OSX version has never been up to par with the Classic version. But be that as it may - yes, Panther did apparently break a few apps. But if they aren't patched by now I'd be rather surprised - although I'll admit I went directly from 10.3.2 (I believe was on my CDs) to 10.3.4 - and I'm now on 10.3.5. I haven't given a few things a whirl since updating - Photoshop, Dreamweaver etc. as they aren't my everyday use apps when I'm just doing Uni etc, but so far no problems. Mind you though, if I remember correctly I did a clean install of Panther - dumped everything worth saving over my network to a laptop, erased, installed, and then copied back all my goodies. Worked for me - maybe that's your problem.

As to the combo updates - what? I've always used the combo updates, almost never use the smaller ones, for a simple reason - I am on dialup. I have trouble downloading all of the updates as singles, but I can get the combo ones easier at Uni, or at friend's houses who don't happen to be outside broadband limits. Sure, I download them at home too - takes ages, but I do do it. But when I do, I almost always get the combos where I can - as although it does take longer, whether here or at a mate's place, it's a lot easier to restore from if something does go belly up. Which has never happened.

Heck, sometimes I just let the updates roll past me for a bit - because I read what the update fixes and think, "Well, I'm cool at the moment, don't really need it" and then I embark upon an orgy of patching all at once with combos. Whatever works, really. ^_^

-Andiyar

CI-Ia0s, on Sep 22 2004, 11:31 PM, said:

By the way, the second part of that post belongs in the "Help on the Way" forum...
View Post

Actually, it doesn't go there either because "Help on the Way" is for Ambrosia's products. A better spot is "Just Tech" but the best place is right on Apple's doorstep.

CI-Ia0s, on Sep 22 2004, 11:31 PM, said:

As for Coldstone status, I don't know. Some of the mods may have more info, but I wouldn't get your hopes up for any major news any time soon. I project a month or two at least... (I could be completely wrong, but that's my guess...).
View Post

Your guess is as good as mine.

I think that we could see the update around christmas 🙂

Your guess is as good as mine, too. I guess by Easter. (what year?) :rolleyes:

Well, last time I had contact with Carm she said that she had most of the easily reproducible bugs fixed, so I guess that Dominic will just have to clean up the loose ends. Though as you said, we just don't know.

This is why I am organising a crack squad to infiltrate the Ambrosia HQ and find how far they have got with Coldstone 😉

eLL, I think your problem was that there were two versions of loginwindow.plist and 10.3 is stupid about which one to use. I think the original (bad one) was com.apple.loginwindow.plist and the new (good one) is loginwindow.plist. I had the problem at first too, but after a bit of work I got it fixed. 🙂

i just clean swept instead of selectively overwriting 10.2.8, the issue was fixed before i upgraded to 10.3.5 ( from 10.3.4)

its been hell on wheels since 10.2.4...
i can identify with the dialup issue, but it beats the crap out of having a $1200 paperweight because of a faulty upgrade

Before I used Software Update I looked at the updates on Apple's board. The 10.3.5 update said it needed 10.3.4, and the 10.3.4 update said it needed 10.3.3. But nothing said what the difference was between the updates and the combined updates.

So I figured I would use Software Update and let it tell me which ones I needed. Quite possible I should, in fact, have installed each separate update from 10.3.2 to 10.3.5, including all the Security updates individually. However, that would have been three! 70 MB downloads (10.3.3, 10.3.4, and 10.3.5) on my hapless dial-up. Plus the Security updates.

As it was, even with just one 10.3.5 Combined download, plus Java 1.4.1 and some other applications, it tied up my computer for 11 and 1/2 hours over two days to bring everything up to date. If the 10.3.5 Combined update was only supposed to be installed to 10.3.4, then Apple should have set it to check the current system and pass a message if necessary.