does anybody know?

anybody knows if Coldstone will ever have net support?

It won't.

------------------
'You can either be on the stage, just a performer, just going through the lines...or you can be outside it, and know how the script works, where the scenery hangs, and where the trapdoors are. Isn't that better?'
-- T. Pratchett

what about isometric views?

------------------
Pilky
(url="http://"http://www.mcubed.cjb.net")M cubed homepage(/url)
Cheesiest film line of all time "Flash I love you but we only have 14 hours to save the earth" from Flash Gorden

Hope not

------------------

Why not !
Isometric would look a lot better

------------------
Pilky
Cheesiest film line of all time "Flash I love you but we only have 14 hours to save the earth" from Flash Gorden

Are any of you aware that CGE has added only 2 meaningful features in its nmore than 6 year existence;
animation
transparencies

heads up...

------------------

... bwahhaaaaahaaaaaugh fooooolish sammurai.

Originally posted by ellrx:
Are any of you aware that CGE has added only 2 meaningful features in its nmore than 6 year existence;
animation
transparencies**

Eh, I think the switch from turn-based to real-time combat, whatever you may think of it, was at least significant. 🙂

Then there's the switch from "encounters" to maps, if memory serves...

------------------
'You can either be on the stage, just a performer, just going through the lines...or you can be outside it, and know how the script works, where the scenery hangs, and where the trapdoors are. Isn't that better?'
-- T. Pratchett

aaaawwww
:frown:

------------------

Glenn sez:
**Eh, I think the switch from turn-based to real-time combat, whatever you may think of it, was at least significant.

there were always maps, i believe they were arenas which are...battle maps...
i never said significant, just meaningful...that's just toggling an existing feature.

Let's not foster the miconception that i have something against real-Time, the fact remains that there's nothing to it.

seriously at every screen refresh (frame) each NPC executes a small subroutine that decides based on whatever where they should incrementally move to next, if your character has a random animation equipped to it then it operates that as well.

the point being that turnBased while it seems cryptic is actually more controlled, instead of loops and subroutines constantly updating they have a more conditional paramter, either a switch (you move, i move) or a timer (30 seconds til next turn)

considering the fact that the engine was written in C++ and that being object oriented you can set up classes such as;
batista.NPC.initial_position = 10
batista.NPC.chase=false

better yet, you can bypass C++ altogether and head directly for RB.

the real set up comes from creating the objects, which could be 3rd generation, there are many APIs, SDKs that provide advanced stepping stones.

in any event, that brings the count to 4...in six + years , i believe its existed since 95, but i came on board in 97.

if CGE fits you, run with it , if not run away.
------------------

(This message has been edited by ellrx (edited 08-05-2003).)

hehehe, only cowards run away..... i say if coldstone fits you, run with it, if not.... you can always make another game that does 😄

------------------

(quote)Originally posted by Gyptal-IV:
**hehehe, only cowards run away..... i say if coldstone fits you, run with it, if not.... you can always make another game that does:) Coldstone is the key.....For now.

Gyptal-IV sez:
**hehehe, only cowards run away..... i say if coldstone fits you, run with it, if not.... you can always make another game that does

the point has eluded you.

------------------

{ edit }

(This message has been edited by ellrx (edited 08-06-2003).)

Originally posted by Pilky:
**Why not !
Isometric would look a lot better

I like the fact that i can use any graphic i like to create a game with coldstone: renders, pictures, complete background images and animations. And they can have a very high quality plus I can create the ilusion of space by using renders placed in layers. I'm afraid that a switch to isometric would force me to use tiles and only tiles annd that it would reduce the quality of the graphics. That is something i would really dislike.

And i tried an isometric game editor once and did not like what I saw. But maybe I am mistaken, dunno.

------------------

ellrx...:
the point has eluded you.

no, it's just i did.... i wanna make a net game.... i'll use TNT
i wanna make a 1p rpg, mac and windoze able, i'll use coldstone

------------------

Originally posted by jeroen goulooze:
**I'm afraid that a switch to isometric would force me to use tiles and only tiles annd that it would reduce the quality of the graphics. That is something i would really dislike.

Why can't you just render in isometric. It isn't that hard as it is one of the camera presets in almost all 3d packages. In fact it would be easier than having to make the top down view.

------------------
Pilky

Originally posted by Pilky:
**Why can't you just render in isometric. It isn't that hard as it is one of the camera presets in almost all 3d packages. In fact it would be easier than having to make the top down view.

Right now i am working with a pen drawing done by someone by hand on a piece of paper. I scanned it and use it as a map. I have a character rendered in inkstripes/handdrawing style in poser 4. And that character walks over my map.

I really like having this possibility that coldstone offers. I think that by going to isometric this would be lost.

And besides: i can now create a very complex and detailed 3D model, render it, tweak it the way i want it and put the image in CGE. If i had to use the model in an isometric game engine, i would have to reduce the poly-count thereby making it less detailed.

------------------