tiling a level

i was just working on the 1st level, and the size of it, was just too big. like the jpeg at lvl 10 compression was round 22megs.

so now i have to break the level up into large tiles and reuse them in the level so all file sizes come down. i was wondering 2 things:

1. does it matter what size my tiles are? they dont all have to be the same size etc right?

2. and what about layers? say i have a dirt tile, can i pop a road and trees and walls etc on top of it using layers? is that what layers are for? or should i try and fit the roads etc as tiles themselves?

------------------
Morvera ner Morden

Originally posted by DJ:
1. does it matter what size my tiles are? they dont all have to be the same size etc right?

If you place them in the "ground" (not layers) they will all be changed to the size of your ground tiles (specified on creating the map, default is 96X96 pixels). However, you can always make a LAYER called "ground" and place them there without any changes.

Originally posted by DJ:
2. and what about layers? say i have a dirt tile, can i pop a road and trees and walls etc on top of it using layers? is that what layers are for? or should i try and fit the roads etc as tiles themselves?

Basically, yes, that is what layers are for. but not only can you pop the road on top of your ground, you can make another layer and pop the tree on top of the road. Also, note that layers below the Player layer (marked <<Player>> or something like that in the layer list) are ABOVE the player, while layers above that layer are BELOW the player. The layer directly below the Player layer (in the list, not in the game) is on the same level as the player layer. i.e. You will be able to be in front of and behind the same tree. I hope that tells you all you need to know about layers. Good luck!

------------------
CI-I@()s
(url="http://"http://www.evula.org/world-of-cha0s/")The Homepage of Cha0s(/url)

Originally posted by CI-Ia0s:
If you place them in the "ground" (not layers) they will all be changed to the size of your ground tiles (specified on creating the map, default is 96X96 pixels).

Furthermore, if you use ground tiles that are not the correct size for the map, you're likely to get some rather unpleasant graphic glitches. So don't do that. 🙂

Of course, nothing says different maps have to use the same size tiles - if you want one map to use 96x96 tiles and another to use 24x24 ones, for example, you can certainly do that.

------------------
I don't know what I'm talking about.
Oh no, here comes another learning experience.
Oderint dum metuant?

gotcha, layers should help alot then, i just finished the 1st level mockup, and so far its at 2.5 megs for a 24x36in map which isnt horrible but..... im thinking rather than just make giant jpegs for every level, that maybe i should make graphics that i can use in all the levels and save on game size. then again..........mmmm time to think some more.

okay, after about 5 minutes of deliberatin' with myself i think i can work the ground stuff into seemless tiles and the other stuff can be placed on top here and there. cuz i just thought - 20 some odd levels not counting the insides of the levels which almost doubles there size and im looking at round 100-120megs of just level graphics, not including the animations of everything plus many cutscene pics, might push the game way up. i really want to stay below 80, but if not then have a option for a cd. well see. thx, cya round.

------------------
Morvera ner Morden

(This message has been edited by DJ (edited 02-28-2003).)