two handed weapons

hey, I wanna have a two handed sword that you can block with. I was wondering can you block without a sheild equiped, or do you need to have one to defend.
Thanx for the help in advance

~Crayon_EaTeR

im not too down with the engine itself, thats my buds job, but i can imagine, make a "block" set of animations for the two handed sword, so its still a shield that looks like a sword. i guess you run into the thing, does it auto equip the shield when you use the sword etc. i dont know if you can do that but you can definately have the look ingame of the two handed sword just by making the shield look like a sword? maybe if it cant auto equip in pairs of shields and swords etc how but possibly making the two handed a combo weapon, and tell the gamer they need both swords in both slots to get a full advantage or bonus. the bonus could be giving the shield some sort of damage or something special so gamers equip both. or another wei is maybe if the graphics arent too detailed, when you get another sword, it still uses the same sword block animation so nobody knows the difference. im sorry im just rambling........ maybe you got some idea or something.

------------------
Morvera ner Morden

You have to have a shield equipped to block. So what you need to do is create a shield called "Hand Full" or something similiar. Give it a custom inventory icon that looks like a red x or a "no" symbol. Now make every two handed weapon you want to be able to block a one handed weapon and give it an "equip" link that adds and equips the "Hand Full" shield when the two handed weapon is equipped, and an "unequip" link that unequips the shield and removes it from the player's inventory when the two handed weapon is unequipped.

In the inventory screen it will look like the shield hand is merely being crossed out to provide for using both hands to hold a weapon, and your player will be able to block.

I'm not always very clear, so here is a review:

-you have to create your 2h weapon as one handed
-create a shield disguised as a "hand full" marker
-link an event to add and equip the disguised shield when the 2h wpn is equipped
-link and event to unequip and remove the shield when the 2h wpn is unequipped

myshkyn

------------------
"I'll give the fans just what they want, and nothing else at all."

Originally posted by Crayon_Eater:
I was wondering can you block without a sheild equiped, or do you need to have one to defend.

I would be inclined to say that you can block whether you have a shield or not, but I can't seem to find any clear documentation one way or another. I'm not sure why these two are so convinced that a shield is necessary; maybe they know something I don't.

If a shield is necessary to block, just make all of your 2-handed weapons into 2-handed shields - yes, Coldstone allows such a thing (!)

------------------
I don't know what I'm talking about.
Oh no, here comes another learning experience.
Oderint dum metuant?

No shields are not required, shields are no different than the rest of the equipment items, they could be called artifacts 1-7 the only difference is that a shield must be worn on the hand and it takes up vital weapon carrying space.

Documentation? Just run a build of the medieval demo and press z in the face of the first spider you see...

the 'proud hero' in't really actually raising his shield he's just nullifying physical attacks...i believe non natural damage type spells and weapons can still do damage to a guarded PC.

(edit)
shields and other items can supposedly cause damage(fields not greyed out/disabled, i'd test it but its 5 am)...which if you were to equip someone with a spiked helmet and steeel toed boots i'd expect to be able to cause damage.

------------------
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
()(url="http://"http://www.geocities.com/ellrx/index.html")eLL' softWare.(/url)
(
)(url="http://"http://www.geocities.com/ellrx/index.html")Par eLL' el(/url)
(*)Cute Girls work at Target.

(This message has been edited by ellrx (edited 02-26-2003).)

Originally posted by ellrx:
**No shields are not required, shields are no different than the rest of the equipment items, they could be called artifacts 1-7 the only difference is that a shield must be worn on the hand and it takes up vital weapon carrying space.

Thanx

I would just like to state, for the record, that my method would work like a charm if you actually did need a shield to block. Heh. Oh well.

myshkyn

------------------
"I'll give the fans just what they want, and nothing else at all."