Final Fatasy kinda game...?

I would really like to make a final fantasy game, since the game style is very good, and the stories are for the most part great (although I'll be making my own plot for my game).

The only problems are that parties are impossible (?), and that I'm not very good at graphics. If anybody want to make a game like this (I'll probably co-ordinate the project) or have played final fantasy and thought it was a good game, please mail me (or reply to this topic)! I have a lot of ideas, but I don't know if cold stone will be able to make it.

Best Regards

- Andreas Andersen

aside from parties not being allowed(we have no real info on whether or not they are, but let's just assume they aren't so we don't get disappointed) fighting screens aren't supported.

I think what Beenox and Ambrosia are trying to do is make us create a CREATIVE game. They want us to come up with something completely original, partly because it's more fun that way, and partly because of copyright issues. So when you are thinking of popping some Pokemon, or Sailor Moon into your game, just think of the possible lawsuits if your game goes too public. Why can't we just come up with our own ideas?

------------------
"I felt you.. dying"
"I'm dying..?"
"I won't let you die..."

Well, first of all, there are no pokemon stuff or any other comercial childish charachters in Final Fantasy. Secondly, I'm not going to copy anything from the games themselves.

Also, I don't need any battle screen. The battles can be done whereever. I wanted to make a game of that type, like having a hero with a sword wandering in a world with monsters and such. Therefore, I probably won't have any copyright issues on me, since I won't copy anything from any game.

Best Regards

- Andreas Andersen

------------------
(email)adj_boy@hotmail.com(email) <--- email The Slayer

Originally posted by adj_boy:
Well, first of all, there are no pokemon stuff or any other comercial childish charachters in Final Fantasy. Secondly, I'm not going to copy anything from the games themselves.

Also, I don't need any battle screen. The battles can be done whereever. I wanted to make a game of that type, like having a hero with a sword wandering in a world with monsters and such. Therefore, I probably won't have any copyright issues on me, since I won't copy anything from any game.

Best Regards

- Andreas Andersen

then you're just coming up with something original, and taggin FF on it. If you design the game like you said up there than it will have nothing in common with FF(FF7 I'm guessing), and you'll just be giving unneeded credit to Squaresoft----------------and probably getting so flames from them as well.

------------------
"I felt you.. dying"
"I'm dying..?"
"I won't let you die..."

Originally posted by Lorenoth:
**then you're just coming up with something original, and taggin FF on it. If you design the game like you said up there than it will have nothing in common with FF(FF7 I'm guessing), and you'll just be giving unneeded credit to Squaresoft----------------and probably getting so flames from them as well.

I beleave he meant that he would like to creat an RPG in the style of the FF games, not make another FF game. Also, what is so origional about the combat implemented? I am not complaining about it, in fact I really like it, but I think it is just as (un)origional as battle screens. Perhaps you meant that there can be more potential for differentiation in a real time combat system; in which case I agree with you. G' Night folks.

------------------
Ships are safe in the harbor, but that is not what they are built for.

what I'm saying is.. a FF kind of game includes nothing all that extraordinary, and different from a typical RPG, except the battle screens. That's about all that's unique about it. And since battle screens aren't implemented in Coldstone, it would be impossible to make an FF-like RPG, because it could not include the one thing that makes FF games so unique. I have to say, it's hard to put what I'm thinking into words 🙂

Wait! If you really wanted to make an FF like RPG then you could simply make there be no decisions whatsoever in how you play the game, you have to play it one way, all in order, no choices, etc...

------------------
"What--"
"Don't worry. You're not going to die"

If you've ever played Cythera and any FF games, you'll see there are other differencies as well. In the old FF games, you would have those charachters with the head beeing half of the body, that's typical. I couldn't find that in Cythera. Also, in Cythera you had to think much more than in FF games.

If you've played FF8, you know there are lots of choices to make.

Best Regards

- Andreas Andersen

It would be nice to see more games that aren't in set in the medieval time period... Perhaps this is what the thread starter meant. Most rpgs (cythera included) are in the medieval time period, dealing with swords and whatnot. It would be cool to see a slew of 'modern-day' rpgs, wouldn't it?

------------------
We shall accept payment in a large briefcase. American dollar good for this purpose. LARGE briefcase, remember. -- forge

FYI, with a little creativity, you could probably use Coldstone's event scripting to make "battle screens" where the combat took place outside the main map. If you're willing to work hard enough, you could even do randomized encounters and perhaps even turn-based combat through such a method. Coldstone's event scripting is very powerful, but you must supply your own creativity. 🙂

------------------
Back in my day, we didn't have any of this here UBB nonsense. It was DiscBoard or nothing, and we liked it!
"In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane." - Mark Twain
"The answer is yes or no , depending on the interpretation." - Albert Einstein

yea, this was what i wanted to accomplish to, have more than one character under your control and random battles. I think for random batlle just make it an 'event' and when someone gets into the event it takes you to a different screen ( the battle screen )

I don't know about controlling more than one character though...
I'm not very good with ColdStone at all.

------------------

You're new here...advice: do not dredge up old topics...'out of sight is out of line' but to your obvious request and search for knowledge, i have devised a multiple chracter systeem and turnbased system, they can be used in conjunction...Note they are not easy to build as you'll be moving away from the preset framework and building a complete architecture from scratch...see sig below

------------------

Originally posted by ellrx:
**You're new here...advice: do not dredge up old topics...'out of sight is out of line' but to your obvious request and search for knowledge, i have devised a multiple chracter systeem and turnbased system, they can be used in conjunction...Note they are not easy to build as you'll be moving away from the preset framework and building a complete architecture from scratch...see sig below

Hmm. So he can't resurrect an ancient thread, but neither can he start a new thread on an old topic. That would only make sense if the problem had actually been solved. Your helpful hints aside, I believe solutions for parties and allies are still being worked on by various parties. I for one see no sense in closing off this line of inquiry.

Apropo of all that, I've come up with a new mental model to try -- instead of a combat system per se, I am looking at a scripted option set with heavy use of mechanima. If I can ever get free of other projects I might attempt a demo level. It is a model that only makes sense when there is more a puzzle-solving dimension; say, trying to find the best member of your party to look for traps or to wave a tricorder, or which of the special powers in your super-team will stop the rampaging what-not most effectively.

I also like a variation suggested by the "combat map" mentioned above; ground travel uses one animation and tile set, with perhaps a "party" of stick-tite NPCs, but for hand-to-hand you "go to a combat map" (via stamp control) and your graphic is replaced by a "hero graphic" of larger scale. This obviously works best if combat is infrequent and self-contained -- the scale changes would be very annoying if they happened all the way down an orc-infested forest trail.

------------------
"I know the stranger's name."
Turandot

Your missing the point...Would you attempt to finish a conversation more than a day old, new information has surfaced...and over and over again the fact has been
proven you can do it, there is no magic wand, no hand holding solution, no E-Z 1,2,3 you have to do it yourself...from scratch and with no support which is not easy to build as you'll be moving away from the preset framework and building a complete architecture from scratch

my intent was to get Dookie's wheels spinning, not to shamelessly self promote, you'll notice i have no weird stipulations(royalties,credits,fees) included in my writings...only a copyright notice to protect my investment/intellectual property.

And as you have offered no advice or information on how to build feature of that type, i'll thank you not to downPlay something technically sound as a hint.

as for your mechanima, you'll have to forgive me it doesn't appear to be in any English Dictionary( i dare you)
---------
Your snazzy 'stick-tite' solution
is/
can be/
boils down to/
is most efficiently/
at its base composed of a checkbox(try to reach the Player)
7 conditionals (which check the EncounterInProgress variable)
and about 10 variables...cutting edge
---------
Also this topic has almost nothing to do with the topic of building a FF style gamee, it descends into the rantings of Lorenoth about 'forced originality' and his biases of FF(7 in particular), this is a worthy line of inquiry but it deserves a fresh start not the stale scraps of
---------
perhaps this is the right topic for your discussion, siting the fact that you've once agaain truned the focus away from its original intent..."HOW CAN I BUILD a FINAL FANTASY STyLe gaMe UsING COLDSTONe!!!!"....you offer no hints...no solution, and information shrouded in self-coined buzzwords

------------------

Well I have forums for my own website and administer them and I find nothing wrong with bringing up old topics.

Thanks for the links too, but you screwed up on your coding for the website links. When you go to Downloading two PDFs have the same link, so I can't get your tutorial on making multiple party member battles =(

Creating Game Maker/Card Based games using Coldstone and
Creating Multiple characters...
tutorial both link to the same PDF.

------------------

Thank you for telling me about the proverbial food in my teeth, I wish i got more feedBack of that nature

PDF links fixed. enjoy.

------------------

(edit)Typo(/edit)

(This message has been edited by ellrx (edited 11-26-2002).)

Welcome to the boards, Dookie! Yeah, it's a kind of rule of thumb that topics that are old don't get rebrought up... in a fairly active forum it's all too easy to clutter up the front page. However, if it is a topic that you have a valid, useful contribution to, and if the topic wasn't ever resolved, I don't mind too much.

Examples are threads about bugs that disappear and crop up, etc. Normally in the case of a thread like this I'd advise just letting it lie, as of the original participants, only Glenn still frequents the board. It's really a case by case basis for me, and I'll make calls based on what the subject is.

Hmm. That didn't make much sense. Ah well, I know what I mean. 🙂

-Andiyar

------------------
"Any good that I may do here, let me do now, for I may not pass this way again"

o, ellrx, umm, somethings wrong with your site because you cant downlaod the turnbased comabt pdf, only the multiple party one. just tellin ya.

The Penguin

------------------