Importing images as maps

Hi. I'm really new to this. I am in the proccess of creating my maps( for my characters to walk around in) for my Coldstone game in Bryce 5, but am having difficulty importing them into Coldstone. I've saved them as a pict files but i'm not really sure how to import them as maps. Any help will be much appreciated. Incase this makes a difference I'm working with the Coldstone demo. i wanted to try to make someting before I bought the whole package.

Thanks.

Pedrith

------------------

Welcome!

If I understand you correctly, you want to have the entire map made from one big image rather than individual tiles. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

If that's right, here's how to use it for your map. (Sorry if I get a bit technical; I'll be happy to clarify anything if necessary. I also assume that you're familiar with the basics of using Coldstone already.)

Place the image in a subfolder of your game's "Pictures" folder. Create a new map. Use whatever value you want for the movement tiles, and choose the map dimensions such that it will be the same size as your image. (For example, if you're using a 640x480 image with 32x32 movement tiles, the map dimensions would need to be (640/32)x(480/32) = 20x15 tiles.) The ground tiles can be more or less any size, as you'll not be using them.

Once the map is created, create a new layer and position it behind the "player" layer. (That is, above the player layer in the list, which might be somewhat unintuitive.)

Switch to Layers mode and select your new layer. Navigate through the Tile Set window to locate and select your image. Click in the lower-right corner of your map to place the image in the layer. (The click indicates the lower right corner of the image.) You can position the image more precisely with the movement (crosshairs) tool after it's been placed.

Save your map, create a matching location, and you're ready to go.

------------------
"I hate quotations." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just a quick note: using images as backgrounds can (depending upon image complexity) be very RAM-consuming. Just something to keep in mind. 🙂

-Andiyar

------------------
"Any good that I may do here, let me do now, for I may not pass this way again"

Hi. Thank you. It seems to work. When i compiled my game and the player teleports to the new location (the picture I made) appears but the character cannot be see on the screen anywhere. I think I messed up, but i don't know where. Again help will be appreciated.

------------------

Originally posted by Pedrith:

Hi. Thank you. It seems to work. When i compiled my game and the player teleports to the new location (the picture I made) appears but the character cannot be see on the screen anywhere. I think I messed up, but i don't know where. Again help will be appreciated.

Mr. Pedrith,

Switch the players layer and the layer that you put your image in. The layer directly beneath the player in the list Y-sorts, which means if the player is standing "above" the image then he is drawn behind it. In your case your whole image is the background and since your player can never get "below" the screen, he will always be drawn behind it.

Put the player level beneath the image layer and he should always appear over the map. The problem with this though is if you have any scenery on your image that you would like the player to walk "behind" it will not be possible by doing this. That is why there are layers to do these things, instead of making the map all as 1 image.

Good luck.

------------------
Calvin: People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world.

Hobbes: Isn't your pants' zipper supposed to be in the front?