Movement

I'm not sure how involved I'll be with Coldstone when it is released, but something has caught my eye from the movies - walking around is painfully slow. First of all, to make it practical, I think it would be nice the character walked a little more briskly, and it would nice if there was a "run" feature that was based on fatigue or something.

------------------
"Si hanc sententiam legere potes, tum es
et optime educatus et non habitus vitam."

Originally posted by LoneIgadzra:
**I'm not sure how involved I'll be with Coldstone when it is released, but something has caught my eye from the movies - walking around is painfully slow. First of all, to make it practical, I think it would be nice the character walked a little more briskly, and it would nice if there was a "run" feature that was based on fatigue or something.

Sounds nice, I notced that the chracer moves about as fat as a turtle, too. A "run" feature would be cool. 😄 😄 😄

------------------
"Have the lambs stopped screaming yet?"
"Heh heh, delicious...." (Toblerones :D)
"Soppy?!?! That's an insult!"
"And who's to blame? I could assume the loneliness of my white room."

That would definitely be a nice feature. If any of you have played Diablo, you know how annoying it is just walking across the town. 😛

/me votes for a run setting. (where you can toggle between running and walking)

------------------
The sentient Glue
Bubble waves to
everyone.

Even better, a hotkeyed run feature! Which is basically exactly like diablo II but is very cool.

------------------
I swear your honour! He was like that when I found him
Alex Hawkins**********

That was basically what I was saying.....example....Press "R", and you will run until you press "R" again, at which point you will walk.

------------------
The sentient Glue
Bubble waves to
everyone.

In games like FF3, "running" is controlled by a special item you must equip. This always bugged me; I don't see why I should have to pay an in-game price for convenience of game play.

Chrono Trigger's solution - having a "run" button - was not much better. Anyone who's played CT, tell me, how much time did you spend not running?

A much better solution, which I've only seen in Prince of Persia (hardly an RPG), is to have run the default option, not walk. In those rare situations that require slower movement, (puzzles, minefields, etc), let the player press a button to switch to "walk" or "cautious" mode. In other words, make the more common preference the default, not the less commonly used one. Please?

------------------
“If a little knowledge is dangerous, where is the man who has so much as to be out of danger?” - T.H. Huxley

I'm sure you would be able to set something like that. Remember, we make the games. 🙂

------------------
The sentient Glue
Bubble waves to
everyone.

I think that if you use a keydown event you would be able to set one of the keys (such as shift) to set an event that made the player move faster. You would need to make a new animation though, as it would look stupid otherwise... 🙂

------------------
(url="http://"http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/webboard/Forum10/HTML/001524.html")The Tides of War(/url)
(url="http://"http://www.ohhla.com")The Original Hip-Hop Lyrics Archive(/url)
Hip Hop Recomendation of the week: Rawkus Presents Soundbombin'
------------------

Realize that this is based on tiles. Your movement can depend on hitting keys or clicking on the next place to go (painfully slow). The only real way to alleviate the problem you brought up is by formatting the game into a joystick to allow faster movement. I never played Diablo or the other games you mentioned but I think if someone was to give a comparison to Realmz or other RPGs, I might be able to piece together what you are talking about.

------------------
Had to alter sig because it was pissing me off

Is there any possibilty for real time movement, rather than turn based? It would be much better for the game I have in mind.....also, if it were real time, modifying how fast a unit is would be super nice. 🙂

------------------
The sentient Glue
Bubble waves to
everyone.

(quote)Originally posted by theGlueBubble:
**Is there any possibilty for real time movement, rather than turn based? It would be much better for the game I have in mind.....also, if it were real time, modifying how fast a unit is would be super nice.:p j/k

------------------
(url="http://"http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/webboard/Forum10/HTML/001524.html")The Tides of War(/url)
(url="http://"http://www.ohhla.com")The Original Hip-Hop Lyrics Archive(/url)
Hip Hop Recomendation of the week:** Rawkus Presents Soundbombin'
------------------

Ok, that's good....and you are sure it isn't just an illusion? I couldn't save the movies for some reason, and I don't want to download them again. 🙂 I know Cythera was turn-based, but it looked real time when you moved......

------------------
The sentient Glue
Bubble waves to
everyone.

When was the last time an RPG didn't come out with real-time movement? The real question these days is if the option was for real time or turn based combat. Or something in between? I consider Secret of Mana true real-time combat in an RPG, since there was no pausing the action to choose options (it's released sequel, Legend of Mana, was almost identical, but they ruined the great menu system and forced the character into a set area for combat); the only real exception was choosing magic, but it made sense, because it doesn't take much time to decide what spell you want to cast. Hell, I loved that game so much because I could speed cast all the attack spells while attacking with the main char! Then there's total turn based... we're talking chess, now. Then we get into what people call 'real-time' combat systems. All too common, although a lovely system when it came to CT and FF7. (BTW, if you ever want to see the most furious discussion about the better game, just ask) Those are really just glorified turn based, where there are no real 'turns', just the ability to attack at certain intervals. Personally, I'd like to see the SoM combat system return. And perhaps it will in CSGE.

yeah I hope this finds its way into the movement discussion part. Anyone played Baldur's Gate? You moved really really slow, just like in Diablo(the first Diablo, the second one is much faster). I really support the hotkeyed running thing cuz I do NOT want to go through that slow running crap AGAIN! But I think items that make you move faster would be great, provided you are just by yourself, not in a party like in Baldur's Gate, cuz poor old Minsc always got too far ahead of the party and hehe things got kinda gruesome. 😉

------------------
Yeah I'm confused by
this signature thing...
Lorenoth? right...

I think battle should not be turn based because...

1. It gives you almost no fair chance to guard against attacks.
  2. Real-Time battle is more realistic, and in my opinion, more fun.
  3. example:Look at Zelda and Secret of Mana, and look at Final Fantasy and other turn-based games. Which was more fun?
    4)In my experience, you usually have more weapon and attack selections in real-time battles.
  4. Turn Based just takes too darn long.

I'm done rambling for now.

------------------
Look, I only speak two languages. English and bad English.~Bruce Willis
~Nick

In combat, the best way I think is complete real-time for one character, but if you have more in your party, each person takes turns, but you can choose who's turn it is. For instance, if I were fighting fifty units with a meager five units, each of my units would take turns fighting. Whenever each unit finished, it would pass on the turn to someone else in my party. However, I could click on whoever I liked and make that person have the turn if I wanted.

-cybergnu

------------------

One thing I'm not sure of is how rigid the battle system is in terms of customizability. I am hoping that it will be flexible enough to allow the creation of a strategic battle system like Final Fantasy Tactics'. It would not, of course, be appropriate to have every game work like this, but I think that we'd be missing out on something if there were no games of this type or for that matter any other rare type.

------------------