Werewolf Game Meta-Discussion

@mackilroy, on Apr 30 2008, 09:48 AM, said in Werewolf Game Meta-Discussion:

And this is the DEFCON board, not the Cops-'n-Robbers board.

So?

@mackilroy, on Apr 30 2008, 09:48 AM, said in Werewolf Game Meta-Discussion:

And if you have to add a role because of imbalance, then you've got too many unbalanced roles to begin with.

Listen. The game was unbalanced in favor of the cops. I kid you not.

So if you're doing Mafia, do it in the BnB. 😛

Right from the horse's mouth! You agree it's unbalanced!

Seriously, SIB. It's not like you can't host, but you seem predicated to unsustainable games.

EDIT: I'll note you're missing xander's point regarding 'fairness.' What he's talking about is players-vs-players-vs-GM. With the Democratic Party candidates, there isn't a GM at all. It's Obama's supporters against Hillary's supporters. That's different.

I hate to tell you all "I told you so." but I did point out that SIB still failed to recognize overpowered roles as a problem.

All right, uncle, whatever. You got me. I just ask that you wait until the end of the game before you start throwing rotten fruit. Again.

Give him a break at least until the end of the game when everything will be laid out. We don't know what else he has planned.

@lnsu, on Apr 30 2008, 05:58 PM, said in Werewolf Game Meta-Discussion:

We don't know what else he has planned.

Exactly.

xander

@mackilroy, on Apr 30 2008, 07:41 AM, said in Werewolf Game Meta-Discussion:

You're not getting what I mean, SIB. You already manipulated the rules when you changed it from GTW to Mafia, made people who can't be killed, and so on and so forth. So yes, you've already twisted things.

He didn't "twist" them, he changed them, and because he's the host, he could. You signed up the play the game so stop nitpicking. The people who didn't trust him to run a fun game didn't sign up. This game will be over soon, so let's just see what happens.

@mackilroy, on Apr 30 2008, 12:23 PM, said in Werewolf Game Meta-Discussion:

So if you're doing Mafia, do it in the BnB. 😛

Absolutely not.

This originated as a werewolf game then became a GTW game I've played it as a mafia game where you find the mobsters. Its been changed before and if anyone else did this I'm sure yall would be fine with it.

I have no real objection to it being an actual game of mafia, but this game is pretty ridiculous, and I knew it as soon as I read my role description.

@ekhawkman, on Apr 30 2008, 05:50 PM, said in Werewolf Game Meta-Discussion:

This originated as a werewolf game then became a GTW game I've played it as a mafia game where you find the mobsters. Its been changed before and if anyone else did this I'm sure yall would be fine with it.

Sure it's been changed before.

And when it was introduced to the DEFCON board, it was changed from Mafia/Werewolf into Global Thermonuclear War, specifically to fit the theme of this board.

SIB could easily have themed his game around a world-controlling Evil Empire Ruling Council, and had the enemy players as Rebel Spies trying to overthrow the Empire by nuking it's strongholds one-at-a-time. That would have fit the existing theme, and still allowed SIB to turn the usual conceptions of good and evil on its head.
(I'll admit to toying around with just this idea... But the Stasi are darn-well Not invulnerable, and No Undead Revenge. )

I have no problem with Mafia or Werewolf... But they can't rightly be called Global Thermonuclear War, which is what SIB is trying to pass his game off to be.

(EDIT) And let's face it: If SIB starts dropping Nukes in the game (Or on the players) at this late hour, I doubt you'd appreciate the effect.

This post has been edited by Eugene Chin : 30 April 2008 - 05:40 PM

@eugene-chin, on Apr 30 2008, 03:27 PM, said in Werewolf Game Meta-Discussion:

I have no problem with Mafia or Werewolf... But they can't rightly be called Global Thermonuclear War, which is what SIB is trying to pass his game off to be.

(EDIT) And let's face it: If SIB starts dropping Nukes in the game (Or on the players) at this late hour, I doubt you'd appreciate the effect.

So it's Global Thermonuclear Mafia. 🙂

And re the nukes: How do you know? >:)

This post has been edited by SoItBegins : 30 April 2008 - 06:25 PM

@soitbegins, on Apr 30 2008, 07:23 PM, said in Werewolf Game Meta-Discussion:

So it's Global Thermonuclear Mafia. 🙂

And re the nukes: How do you know? >:)

Oh, that part was simple.

I've seen your sense of humor at work.
I observed that you titled your game Global Thermonuclear War, despite the Mafia theme, and the (current) lack of nukes.

I put the above two together, and assumed the worst.

---------------------------------
This part is just speculation, but the way I figure it, the Mafia Boss is working towards obtaining a nuclear warhead, hence the recent heat from the Cops, and thus the driving force of the plot of the game.

What exactly the Mafia Boss wants with a nuke I'm not certain, but an attempt to hold the city for ransom is a possibility. However, if something goes wrong with this plan, and results in somebody thinking a First Strike is occurring, it could easily lead into the titular Global Thermonuclear War.

Else, the Mafia Boss is aiming to deliberately start said War, right from the start, to further some plan of his own, possibly to eliminate the major world powers in a bid for power in the long term.

An outside chance is that the Mafia Boss has learned about corrupt Cops trying to sell a nuke to a foreign power, and he stole the bomb, either to stop the deal or to sell it himself, thus drawing the recent heat.

This post has been edited by Eugene Chin : 30 April 2008 - 06:56 PM

I would love to come back as a nuclear radiated hitman. All in all I believe more of the players like the game than don't. Most aren't even complaining.

@darth_vader, on Apr 30 2008, 04:35 PM, said in Werewolf Game Meta-Discussion:

He didn't "twist" them, he changed them, and because he's the host, he could. You signed up the play the game so stop nitpicking. The people who didn't trust him to run a fun game didn't sign up. This game will be over soon, so let's just see what happens.

Twist, change, two sides of the same coin. And I actually didn't sign up for this round. I don't mind waiting to see what happens in any case, though.

@darth_vader, on Apr 30 2008, 04:35 PM, said in Werewolf Game Meta-Discussion:

Absolutely not.

Heh. You might have a point there.

Xander, because mrxak had listed you as innocent, because of the incorrectness factor, you were pretty much safe for the game. Without your death, you would have stomped over all opposition. That's not really fair.

Though I would have preferred proper IA, personally.

SIB, you can't blame me.

@templar98921, on May 1 2008, 03:27 AM, said in Werewolf Game Meta-Discussion:

Xander, because mrxak had listed you as innocent, because of the incorrectness factor, you were pretty much safe for the game. Without your death, you would have stomped over all opposition. That's not really fair.

Though I would have preferred proper IA, personally.

SIB, you can't blame me.

I agree. The game was not fair. When you find out what was really going on, you will be even more aware of that fact. My argument has nothing to do with the fact that I am dead. I wish that you would all stop assuming this is just sour grapes. I still think that the cops have a good chance of winning, thanks to the imbalances in the game. If they do win, it will be a hollow victory. The game was incredibly unbalanced from the beginning. The reason that it was unbalanced was an over-abundance of special roles, and an inability for anyone to actually understand what the fsck is going on.

xander

@darwinian, on Apr 30 2008, 10:42 PM, said in Werewolf Game Meta-Discussion:

I agree. The game was not fair. When you find out what was really going on, you will be even more aware of that fact. My argument has nothing to do with the fact that I am dead. I wish that you would all stop assuming this is just sour grapes. I still think that the cops have a good chance of winning, thanks to the imbalances in the game. If they do win, it will be a hollow victory. The game was incredibly unbalanced from the beginning. The reason that it was unbalanced was an over-abundance of special roles, and an inability for anyone to actually understand what the fsck is going on.

xander

Meh. Sometimes I don't care as much about winning. In a more traditional game I'd play to win, but in this game I'm content to let SIB run it more like a slightly over the top RPG scenario. It's different, but still fun.

I'm enjoying this game, and I'm pretty sure I know whats goin' on.

Although I'm probably wrong, and can't do much now...

Still I think it's more fun and relies on more skill than you seem to be giving it credit for, xander.

Yeah. When you find out the big surprise at the end of the game, all of you are probably going to be super++mad at me. If you aren't: Thanks in advance.

P.S: Here's three rules that may help you.

Never trust everything the game host says.
Never assume. This goes double for the really common assumptions.
Finally, Never, ever, ever put your trust in someone unless they can prove they deserve it.

@soitbegins, on May 1 2008, 04:11 AM, said in Werewolf Game Meta-Discussion:

Never trust everything the game host says.

And, with that sentence, you have exactly described my complaint. The werewolf game should be player-vs-player, not player-vs-GM. What you are describing is a player-vs-GM game.

xander