The World's Greatest Sketchfighter

Since the dawn of time, mankind has been plagued with a single profoundly deep question: Who is the greatest Sketchfighter in the world? In an effort to find out, I propose a tournament where all contestants design a map containing a monstrously difficult challenge. Each contestant plays each map (including their own) and posts their times for each one, and the contestant with the lowest combined map time is crowned The World's Greatest Sketchfighter! Some standards for designs would need to be drawn up, but I don't think it would be too complicated.

So, what say ye all?

I'm in. Any guidelines for the size of the challenge?

I think that aspect should be a group decision, but my personal opinion on size limitation is no more than 20x20 graph paper sprites.

Sadly I'll have to sit this one out. My skill at Sketchfighter can be described, in kind language, as "Fair to middlin'".

:mad: Me too.sniff
2:44:00
100% complete
Exploded 99 times 😮 :huh:

:unsure: But maybe I will try it...

Please give me 24 hrs to decide, and leave a message after the tone.
beep
(:)

I'm in, and I agree about there needing to be a time limit. Also, there should be a limit on number-of-sprite-onscreen, for those of us who don't yet have computers that can run the game flawlessly.

Edwards

I got framerate death on PMS1.
EDIT: Lots.

This post has been edited by Sidepipe : 07 February 2008 - 12:45 AM

When are we starting? (I know it would help to have more members.)

I will, just cuz it'll be fun, I'm sure. Winning isn't everything.

@freq245, on Feb 5 2008, 04:22 PM, said in The World's Greatest Sketchfighter:

I'm in. Any guidelines for the size of the challenge?

I vote 20x20.

@sidepipe, on Feb 7 2008, 02:52 PM, said in The World's Greatest Sketchfighter:

When are we starting? (I know it would help to have more members.)

There's no reason why participants can't start designing their maps now.

As for a sprite limit as Ed mentioned, it needs to be fairly high to allow for world class challenges. Do you have a number in mind?

@silverwind, on Feb 8 2008, 01:22 AM, said in The World's Greatest Sketchfighter:

As for a sprite limit as Ed mentioned, it needs to be fairly high to allow for world class challenges. Do you have a number in mind?

Sprites-on-map should not be limited, but sprite-on-screen should be limited such that the map does not bog down on a 1GHz processor.

Also, having looked at a 20x20 graph paper sprite grid (clarification: we are talking about graph paper squares scaled to 100%, not the 186% that the auto-background places, right?), that seems like a reasonable size.

Edwards

@edwards, on Feb 8 2008, 09:20 PM, said in The World's Greatest Sketchfighter:

Sprites-on-map should not be limited, but sprite-on-screen should be limited such that the map does not bog down on a 1GHz processor.

Also, having looked at a 20x20 graph paper sprite grid (clarification: we are talking about graph paper squares scaled to 100%, not the 186 % that the auto-background places, right?), that seems like a reasonable size.

Edwards

Drawback: We'll have to lay and align every single background sprite!
Heck, I guess we'll have to anyway.

@sidepipe, on Feb 9 2008, 07:34 AM, said in The World's Greatest Sketchfighter:

Drawback: We'll have to lay and align every single background sprite!
Heck, I guess we'll have to anyway.

You could use 11 auto tiles instead if you want, as that's pretty much the same size. Just make sure you're still using the graph paper tiles.

I'm thinking of doing a race track obstacle coarse.

I won't get much time to work on my map until after March, but I do intend to go through with the tournament.