One Page to Rule Them All Voting

Poll: One Page to Rule Them All Voting (17 member(s) have cast votes)
Vote for your favorite entry in the One Page to Rule Them All contest:
Acme Sketch
(0 votes [0.00%])
Percentage of vote: 0.00%
Droopy Heart
(0 votes [0.00%])
Miniland
(2 votes [11.76%])
Percentage of vote: 11.76%
Mirror Maze
(1 votes [5.88%])
Percentage of vote: 5.88%
One Page Boot Camp
(2 votes [11.76%])
Percentage of vote: 11.76%
One Page Clouds
(1 votes [5.88%])
Push It To The Limit
(0 votes [0.00%])
Scare Crow Attack
(1 votes [5.88%])
Shooting Gallery
(5 votes [29.41%])
Percentage of vote: 29.41%
Small Circuit
(5 votes [29.41%])
Percentage of vote: 29.41%
Volcanic Soil
(0 votes [0.00%])
Wasteland Narrows
(0 votes [0.00%])

This is the official thread for voting for the winner of the One Page to Rule Them All map design contest. Please download the complete set of final entries here and play them all before voting. This poll will be open until midnight Mountain Standard Time on Friday, March 9th, 2007 (one week from right now), at which point the winner will be announced, so be sure to vote before then.

Edwards

Very nice maps guys!

This post has been edited by FireFalcon : 03 March 2007 - 08:05 AM

@edwards, on Mar 3 2007, 03:07 AM, said in One Page to Rule Them All Voting:

This is the official thread for voting for the winner of the One Page to Rule Them All map design contest. Please download the complete set of final entries here and play them all before voting. This poll will be open until midnight Mountain Standard Time on Friday, March 9th, 2007 (one week from right now), at which point the winner will be announced, so be sure to vote before then.

Edwards

what do you get for winning?

I voted for the "Small Circuit", because it's a really challenging and interesting map. 🙂 The "Shooting Gallery" is my second choice and maybe would have even been my first one, but because this computer is too slow for it I wasn't able to play that map properly, so I'm not sure how good it is.
The third one for me is "Droopy Heart", because of the small story which is told there.

Can you vote for yourself?

Wow! 🙂 I'm pleased to see Small Circuit holding it's own among great levels like Boot Camp and Shooting Gallery (pure genius)

@d-attack, on Mar 3 2007, 06:06 AM, said in One Page to Rule Them All Voting:

what do you get for winning?

Good question. How does a trophy built in the SketchFighter editor and a pre-release version of The Frozen North* sound?

*When I get it into a playable state, which won't occur until 1.0.1's auto-backgrounding feature at the earliest.

@shishkabibal, on Mar 3 2007, 09:55 AM, said in One Page to Rule Them All Voting:

Can you vote for yourself?

If you truly believe that one of your own levels is the best, then yes.

Edwards

@edwards, on Mar 5 2007, 01:10 AM, said in One Page to Rule Them All Voting:

Good question. How does a trophy built in the SketchFighter editor and a pre-release version of The Frozen North* sound?

Nice . . .

Warning: If D-ATTACK wins, I warn you he hasn't gone further than the 3rd boss in solo.

This post has been edited by FireFalcon : 05 March 2007 - 09:31 AM

Acme Sketch -- Not a bad level, overall. There were a couple of buggy walls, but the level played fairly well in general. That being said, it didn't really stand out in my mind that much. I liked the level, but it wasn't stunning. 6/10

Droopy Heart -- An interesting idea, trying to tell a mini-story in a very small level. However, I think the execution was not the best possible. I didn't understand the invincible face at the beginning, I kept getting nailed to the wall by an invisible sprite, and I found success in the level to be as much about luck as skill. The very rectangular rooms also didn't impress me greatly. With some polish, this could be a really fun little level. As is, I didn't really like it that much. 4/10

Miniland -- Another great concept that failed a bit in the execution. I loved the little mini-sprites, but felt that the ammo needed to take out walls was excessive, and made the level take a lot longer than it should have. That, coupled with the non-obviousness of getting into several of the rooms made the level a bit tedious and frustrating for me. I did eventually finish it, but only after passing through a wall that I suspect I was not supposed to be able to pass through. 3/10

Mirror Maze -- Again, a great idea, but it didn't work well for me, I think largely due to the fact that I kept getting bounced through walls. That being said, I am not sure that the particular idea could be much improved, due to limitations with the Sketchfigher engine. I appreciate the originallity of it, and didn't become overly frustrated by some of the technical limitations. 6/10

One Page Boot Camp -- This was a really pretty map, but lacked a bit in substance, I thought. The boss at the end was really quite easy, especially given the fact that the invisible turret could be shot off of its back, even when it was invincible. The enemies on the way to the boss were not really a challenge, and didn't hinder me at all. Also, the patch of water was obviously just a blue rectangle. It would have helped the aesthetic if that had been made to look a bit better. On the other hand, I had no technical problems with this map -- no bouncing through walls, or impossibly narrow passages. If it were a bit more challenging, it would be a great map. 5/10

One Page Clouds -- Aesthetically speaking, this is, in my opinion, the best map of the bunch. It is really very different from the rest, the setup is near perfect, and the cloud effect is pretty cool. However, it is possible to exploit the initial positions of the player's ship and the boss to finish the level very quickly. Once the trick is figured out, there is not much challenge to it. That being said, I love the look of the level, and encountered no technical glitches. Given the size of the map, it is really quite impressive. 9/10

Volcanic Soil -- This is a cute little map. The actual getting to the goal part of it was quite easy, though the lava blobs, I can see, could make things difficult if they are not dealt with properly. Again, the lack of technical difficulties automatically warmed my heart to this map. Really, the only thing that I can fault the map for is a lack of originality -- it looked like any old level from the game, and I don't think that it really took advantage of the size limitation. Oh, and a time limit may have helped increase the level of tension. 7/10

Push It to the Limit -- For such a small map, I was quite impressed by the variety of bosses. The whole map was well choreographed, the bosses were difficult without being impossible, and the map really took advantage of the small area and time limits to create tension and challenge. Unfortunately, the first boss was able to shoot through the walls when it was in certain places, and I don't think that the last boss behaved quite as it was supposed to. Overall, I really liked the map, despite the technical issues. 8/10

Scare Crow Attack -- This level pleased me, though I can't say exactly why. Perhaps it took me back to some of the bosses from earlier shoot-em-ups. Whatever it was, I really liked the map. The boss was perhaps a little too easy, as there were tons of items in the level, but I had no technical difficulties with the level, and it appealed on some sub-conscious level. 8/10

Shooting Gallery -- What in incredibly wonderful concept! Like the level's author, I felt that the super pellet was vastly under-used in the base campaign. I was excited when I read about this level on the boards. However, I feel that the level was hurt immensly by the small size of the map. The corridors were too narrow to effectively fly through, and many of the triggers were far to non-obvious (not that things should be obvious, but they were too cryptic). I'm still not sure what I hit to open some of the doors. Furthermore, because of the small size of the map, I was bumped through several walls, and got stuck many times and was forced to restart because of it. Again, this is a map with a great concept that, in my opinion, fell flat due to technical limitations, and the unsuitability of the map concept to the size of the map. 5/10

Small Circuit -- This map frustrated the hell out of me, and I still managed to like it. Good concept, great execution, fit the theme of the contest quite well, and I had no technical problems with it. I really can't fault it for anything. Honestly, the only problem I had with the map was that it just wasn't really my style. 9/10

Wasteland Narrows -- For a map with such narrow passages, I wasn't bounced around all over the place like I was in several of the other maps. Technically, this map performed best of all of the "get through tight spaces" maps. However, technical performance is only one aspect of a map. I thought that the concept and design of the map were a bit dull. There was only one enemy type, and, after collecting the first star or two, it was very repetitive. It was also very square at the top, and a bit more organic at the bottom, which was a bit dissonant to me. It is not a bad map by any stretch of the imagination, but it left me feeling a bit "meh." 6/10

-----

In the end, I am rather torn between the One Page Clouds and the Small Circuit. Technically, the Small Circuit is a nearly perfect map, but the concept didn't really appeal to me that much. On the other hand, the concept behind One Page Clouds was far and away my favorite, but it suffered a bit in the execution. I could flip a coin to pick the winner. That being said, I only get one vote, so I shall prioritize concept over execution. It shall be One Page Clouds.

xander

@darwinian, on Mar 5 2007, 10:17 PM, said in One Page to Rule Them All Voting:

--snip--

In the end, I am rather torn between the One Page Clouds and the Small Circuit. Technically, the Small Circuit is a nearly perfect map, but the concept didn't really appeal to me that much. On the other hand, the concept behind One Page Clouds was far and away my favorite, but it suffered a bit in the execution. I could flip a coin to pick the winner. That being said, I only get one vote, so I shall prioritize concept over execution. It shall be One Page Clouds.

xander

Small Circuit gets my vote. I also found shooting gallery to be a great idea, and although I never got stuck and don't personally agree with your view that the switches are too cryptic - I did find that the tactic which worked best was to turn on the spot whilst firing. Then there was the ability to rocket through walls too. I'd love to see a version of it used in a larger map 🙂

Clouds was very cute visually, but just too easy. Moreover, even if you don't know about the shoot-on-starting, the fastest way to beat the boss is simply to go right up to him and hold down rocket - he'll die before you do. I prefer a bit more strategy 😉

I also really like the mirror-maze but (thanks to the game engine) was just that little bit too narrow with its passage-ways. Not that I personally mind narrow passageways at all - I loved the Obstacle course's 'Narrows' section. Just in this setting it was a bit tedious thanks to the way the game engine's sprite collision detection "'works'". 😛

Shooting Gallery all the way. I like it mostly because I prefer puzzles to just shooting and blowing up stuff... something I would have liked to see more of in the solo game. Because there are so many shrunk down sprites, it does get a little jerky and slow, but I think it was a brilliant use of such a small space. No space was wasted, either. Every inch has something going on. I was a bit stumped when I came to the grey targets... until I realized I started out with 10 missiles... Heh.

As for the others, they're all good. The only other one I had an issue with is Miniland. The walls are too hard to break, and take forever, there's no indication that the volcano walls are being "hit," and every time I play, the last star disappears after I get the fourth one. Why is it impossible to win...???

I don't know why the last star disappears and I wish someone had told me that they thought the walls were too hard to break. I could have done something about that <_<

Well, well, well. It seems that we have a tie between Shooting Gallery and Small Circuit. Given that the title of the contest is " One Page to Rule Them All", this calls for a run-off. Vote in this thread- the run-off will run until I get back next weekend.

Edwards