Congratulations to Edwards, AGDenton, simX, and Edwards again!

I give up. Meses and xander won the challenge.

I'd like to be the first to congratulate Edwards for being the first person to complete the single-player mission, check his time at http://tracker.ambro...f_1p_scores.php. That doesn't surprise me given his Nova skills, and I wouldn't be surprised if he is a Harry master as well. Plus, 2:24 is not bad at all for a first try. Now redo it, but find all items this time. 😉

Indeed! There is something different if you find all items!

Thank you! 😄
Of course, you haven't seen my death count or bullet count...

@zacha-pedro, on Dec 1 2006, 12:44 AM, said in Congratulations to Edwards, AGDenton, simX, and Edwards again!:

Now redo it, but find all items this time. 😉

I'm working on it- I now know where everything is ( including the one item I missed last time), so it should go somewhat faster this time.

Edwards

And now, I would like to congratulate AGDenton for being the first to complete it at 100%. Plus, he's French. Excellent.

Now, you guessed it. Hard mode. Good luck. 😉

@edwards, on Dec 1 2006, 09:07 AM, said in Congratulations to Edwards, AGDenton, simX, and Edwards again!:

Thank you! 😄
Of course, you haven't seen my death count or bullet count...

I'm working on it- I now know where everything is ( including the one item I missed last time), so it should go somewhat faster this time.

Edwards

Once the game's been out awhile I'm going to create a poll for # of deaths- I think I got a bit over 200 my first full game, and while I suspect that that is way above average, I don't really have any way of knowing. 🙂

Finished the game 100% after roughly 3 hours. 33 deaths and a total bullet use of a number of at least 5 digits. 😛

This post has been edited by God 2.0 : 02 December 2006 - 07:25 PM

I'm currently on the final battle of a 100% items Hard Mode game, and racking up deaths fast. The only really difficult part about hard mode is the bosses, where you can no longer afford to make any mis-steps. I suspect that about 80-90% of my deaths this round were at bosses.

Edwards

Are there any other penalties on hard mode than the double damage you take?

This post has been edited by God 2.0 : 02 December 2006 - 11:23 PM

Arg!!!! I was so incredibly stupid! I finished on hard mode, but forgot one of the stupid missile upgrades! D'oh!

Now I suppose SketchFighter is going to penalize me for using my last saved game and going to get that last item, so I'll have to start all over. 😞

Beats hard mode, with all items, in an hour less than the last time he saw on the high score list.
Watches ending.
Sees where he placed on the high score list.
Starts swearing violently.

(EDIT)
@SimX: That's about how I felt when I got that 99% complete standard game. It was probably the same missile, too.
@God 2.0: I think your weapons do half-damage, too, but I'm not certain of that.

Edwards

This post has been edited by Edwards : 02 December 2006 - 11:51 PM

@edwards, on Dec 3 2006, 04:49 AM, said in Congratulations to Edwards, AGDenton, simX, and Edwards again!:

Beats hard mode, with all items, in an hour less than the last time he saw on the high score list.
Watches ending.
Sees where he placed on the high score list.
Starts swearing violently.

Heehee! Now if only I had gotten that stupid missile upgrade behind the beam that's powered off by the yellow power button, I would've been the first to beat it on hard AND at 100%. 😞

@SimX: That's about how I felt when I got that 99% complete standard game. It was probably the same missile, too.
@God 2.0: I think your weapons do half-damage, too, but I'm not certain of that.

shakes fist Damn. Well, I guess there's no real reason for me to rush to beat hard at 100%. 😛 Do you happen to know whether I will actually have to go through the whole game in order to get my score resubmitted?

EDIT: OK I beat it at 100% on hard using my saved game, but my score was longer (obviously since I had to run back and get the extra powerup) so it wasn't resubmitted. Although I did see a bug: it said that my best time was the time from my normal game, not from my hard game that got submitted (i.e.: it said my best time was 2:39:36 instead of 1:16:30).

This post has been edited by simX : 03 December 2006 - 03:15 AM

So, congratulations to simX (appreciating a good Cocoa game Simone? I'm the Ambrosia fanboy in Wil Shipley's blog post comments 😉 ) for being the first to beat it in hard mode, and congratulation to Edwards again for being the first to beat it in hard mode AND 100%.

So now I can reveal that Freq and I alternated in owning the absolute best time, with I being the last to own it just before release, Freq not having had the time to reclaim it before they got reset. I won't reveal the exact time, it'll be a surprise. I'm leaving you people one (1) month to make your best time. Then starting from the first of january 2007, 00:00 AM (GMT+1), I'm going to start a run to beat it. Once I do beat it, I'll publish the document (more like, a collection of personal notes I've accumulated over time) that I use as a reference for beating in the shortest possible time, complete with a walkthrough of the optimal path to use (at least, I think that if it's not absolutely optimal it must be pretty darn close), to see if you can use it to do better than me. Then if you actually do beat my time, then I'll try to beat that time itself. We'll see how long this runs.

So, the challenge it out. Good luck. Notice this challenge is open to everyone, though people who have had a head start should perhaps wait for 15 days (i.e. until december the 15th) to let the others have a chance. 😉 This is not to say you shouldn't complete a single-player mission, but you should not do "time runs" until this date.

This post has been edited by Zacha Pedro : 03 December 2006 - 04:57 PM

@zacha-pedro, on Dec 3 2006, 01:49 AM, said in Congratulations to Edwards, AGDenton, simX, and Edwards again!:

So, the challenge it out. Good luck. Notice this challenge is open to everyone, though people who have had a head start should perhaps wait for 15 days to let the others have a chance. 😉

er, oops. :unsure:

I think my time is quite beatable by any mere mortal though (to say nothing of ZP/Freq).

edit: what interests me more, though, is a minimalist run...I think I'll try one of those once I have any spare time.

This post has been edited by Veritus Dartarion : 03 December 2006 - 04:56 AM

Yeah, a minimalistic run is an interesting concept. Though I can't imagine beating the game (especially the end boss) with only 5 missiles...

@zacha-pedro, on Dec 3 2006, 10:03 AM, said in Congratulations to Edwards, AGDenton, simX, and Edwards again!:

Yeah, a minimalistic run is an interesting concept. Though I can't imagine beating the game (especially the end boss) with only 5 missiles...

Isn't that impossible? From my experience, you beat the REDACTED final boss in six missile shots.

By the way, hard mode didn't seem all that hard to me. I had to adjust a little bit to start avoiding more shots, but it actually took me fewer tries to defeat the final boss than it initially did in easy mode.

... and I don't particularly care for running through the game again. I'm interested in some good internet playing action. Come on, let's fill up the lobby!

Oh, and Zacha, which Wil Shipley post? I have so many random conversations on the 'nets that I don't recall where I had them all. 🙂

This post has been edited by simX : 03 December 2006 - 05:26 AM

The "Cocoa" didn't give it away? It's the Carbonite one.

@zacha-pedro, on Dec 3 2006, 10:42 AM, said in Congratulations to Edwards, AGDenton, simX, and Edwards again!:

The "Cocoa" didn't give it away? It's the Carbonite one.

Yeah, but I searched and didn't find any Zacha or Pedro... it seemed you implied a discussion between us or at least you writing something on the post. 😛

This post has been edited by simX : 03 December 2006 - 06:22 AM

Oh yeah, I used my real name, Pierre Lebeaupin. Though I didn't really discuss with you, I only posted a long opinon there (and I checked your blog, which is how I've recognised you).

@zacha-pedro, on Dec 3 2006, 11:49 AM, said in Congratulations to Edwards, AGDenton, simX, and Edwards again!:

So now I can reveal that Freq and I alternated in owning the absolute best time, with I being the last to own it just before release, Freq not having had the time to reclaim it before they got reset. I won't reveal the exact time, it'll be a surprise. I'm leaving you people one (1) month to make your best time. Then starting from the first of january 2007, 00:00 AM (GMT+2), I'm going to start a run to beat it. Once I do beat it, I'll publish the document (more like, a collection of personal notes I've accumulated over time) that I use as a reference for beating in the shortest possible time, complete with a walkthrough of the optimal path to use (at least, I think that if it's not absolutely optimal it must be pretty darn close), to see if you can use it to do better than me. Then if you actually do beat my time, then I'll try to beat that time itself. We'll see how long this runs.

So, the challenge it out. Good luck. Notice this challenge is open to everyone, though people who have had a head start should perhaps wait for 15 days to let the others have a chance. 😉

Hehe, we'll see if I am able to beat your score again. 😛

@zacha-pedro, on Dec 3 2006, 02:03 AM, said in Congratulations to Edwards, AGDenton, simX, and Edwards again!:

Yes, that occurred to me. You would need at least one, and possibly two expansions- I haven't counted how many missiles it takes. The real pain, though, would be beating the enemies leading up to last boss with only your 100% shields.

This post has been edited by Veritus Dartarion : 03 December 2006 - 02:47 PM