Factory Glitch 1.1

Beta please?

New version of Factory Glitch, my SketchMap is now made. I don't want to submit it to the page without better testing then i had last time, so i'm putting it here as a beta. Please download it and tell me what you think and if i should submit it.
EDIT: New version up. Scroll on down.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by PiSketch : 15 January 2007 - 02:51 PM

@pisketch, on Jan 13 2007, 10:13 PM, said in Factory Glitch 1.1:

New version of Factory Glitch, my SketchMap is now made. I don't want to submit it to the page without better testing then i had last time, so i'm putting it here as a beta. Please download it and tell me what you think and if i should submit it.

Attachment MapByPi.SketchMap.zip

Awesome stuff! I like it better than the other ones. The glitch conspet is awesome. I might make the boss a little stronger however. Other than that, it's awesome. Go The Donkey Club!

Yeah, the boss is plenty easy... IF you know where the upgrades are. Try beating it without them.

@pisketch, on Jan 13 2007, 08:13 PM, said in Factory Glitch 1.1:

I may have forgotten to mention this last time, but I recommend giving your maps more unique file names than "Map By Pi". After all, you may make another map some day. 😛

As for the actual test results:

• The new selection of enemies is nice (I particularly like the armored spinner in the passage just before the boss- nice use of the fixed relative positions with parent-child links).

• There is half of a white block visible in the dark section. Is this intentional?

• The colored flickers do 5 damage and are invincible. This is annoying, but I must admit the flicker swarms become much nastier if one of these is leading them.

• The boss appears to be vulnerable to missiles if you ram him (for which fact I am profoundly grateful, as the selection of turrets you've given it is extremely lethal- perhaps too much so with no saving ability).

• Of course, he's also quite vulnerable to the Super Wave gun, but not everyone will find that (nice job hiding it, by the way).

• The boxes around the lights leading into the boss room are destroyable.

• The lights also don't turn off either when the player kills the boss or when they kill the Core.

• You may wish to add a message to be displayed if the player does kill the Core, warning them that they have failed. Perhaps even rig the map to blow up, although I'm not quite sure how I'd go about doing that. Invisible Mega Mine-toting flickers behind a wall that goes poof when the Core dies, perhaps?

• There's a wall that sucks you in on the outside of the left-hand side of the triangle at the bottom of the corridor with the red gun.

• Whatever is hauling around the moving turret is solid, invisible, and is not easily destroyable. I would recommend making it "Not Solid" so that it won't pester the player once they've destroyed the gun.

• An end of your spare "If you want, you can have" label is sometimes visible from the upper corridor, if the spins work out properly.

• That intangible flying box goes through walls. That AI appears to only bounce off of walls if its Solid Type is Enemy.

Oh, and nice avatar.

Edwards

This post has been edited by Edwards : 13 January 2007 - 11:13 PM

Who is in charge of the addons here anyway?

@edwards@edwards

@edwards, but I recommend giving your maps more unique file names than "Map By Pi". After all, you may make another map some day. 😛

Lol, yeah. I should do that.

View PostQuote

As for the actual test results:

• There is half of a white block visible in the dark section. Is this intentional?

Not quite. It's supposed to be a "Light Pulse"ing white block.

View PostQuote

@pisketch, on Jan 13 2007, 10:10 PM, said in Factory Glitch 1.1:

Yeah. one of those things forgot to fix before uploading it. I couldn't figure out how to make them turn off. I could probably do it with the core, but how do i do it with the boss?

Just give the lights the same Extra2 as the boss, it seems. You may need to make them Not Solid as well.

Bugeyed You can add those pop up messages? Tell me how! I must know!

Not without a lot of hacking, but you can fake it with text objects that become visible when the core dies, either by Extra2 links turning them black or by removing a background sprite carefully aligned over them. Just blowing up the map might make things a bit more clear, with less fuss, though.

I don't quite get what you're saying here. Do you mean that you can see the text in the room from the hallway, or that i left one lying around somewhere else?

You left one lying around in the upper-left-hand corner of the map.

Edwards

OK, thanks. I'll fix and reupload it when i can access the Mini again. Tomorrow, in other words.

@guy, on Jan 14 2007, 06:08 AM, said in Factory Glitch 1.1:

Who is in charge of the addons here anyway?

The current responsibles are Mackilroy and Zacha Pedro.

- I've been hit by the invisible thing that carries the right triple turret, perhaps you could make it non-solid indeed.
- the box that blinks white in the dark zone is half masked by a black thing, probably a layer issue (all the black things might as well be background stuff, unless you have a special reason; indeed if they're background everything is above them but since most everything is black it has the same effect).
- I've seen one of the box child of the first carrier after the mapping error spontaneously explode... normal? At any rate, it is very interesting...
- There are some places where backgrounds are missing (besides, of course, the places where it's intended).

- What the Heck are these "Enemy bullet round"s doing there?! Oh, okay, it's probably an editor bug, which forgot to remove these after a sim; I believe it is fixed now for 1.0.1.
- What does this "Flicker Rock" with the "ENEMY: Mine" script mean?!
- The shield ring does not completely protec the Boss, but the explosed parts are so small it doesn't matter (reminder: for collision detection purposes, it's the contact box which is important)
- Do you think it's reasonable to have these non-ENEMY and non-ENV scripts in your level? I don't think you should count on them.

All in all, it's very interesting, with a lot of unsual stuff. I'll even go as far as saying it reminds me of voidspace.

Invisible thing is fixed.
Blinking box is fixed.
Exploding box is normal. Sort of. It has the Mega Mine script.
Missing background is unintended. I'll fix them if people really want.
Enemy bullet rounds is indeed a editor glitch. A REALLY ANNOYING ONE.
Flicker rock has the mine script so that it spins. I wanted that in there for some reason.
Shield ring not entirely protecting boss is intended.
Non enemy/env scripts are mostly in there for glitch effects, so it doesn't matter if they don't work.

Thanks!

Pi

Very cool, but the boss is a bit hard.

The only bug i noticed was the red lights at the boss chamber entrance can be blown up. Otherwise a great level. keep up the good work!

@gray-shirt-ninja, on Jan 14 2007, 05:32 PM, said in Factory Glitch 1.1:

Very cool, but the boss is a bit hard.

Get the super wave gun, and he falls in a second or less.

New version up. Most bugs mentioned in this topic were fixed.

Attached File FactoryGlitch.SketchMap.zip (27.05K)
Number of downloads: 7

Pi

@pisketch, on Jan 15 2007, 05:04 PM, said in Factory Glitch 1.1:

New version up. Most bugs mentioned in this topic were fixed.

Attachment FactoryG...ketchMap.zip

Pi

Like it - much more atmospheric than last time too. 🙂 Unfortunately, though the invisible turret holder others mentioned still seems to be there. It 'got' me a fair bit. Otherwise, I thought that was a much better difficulty level. Made much easier by the S. wave gun, but as Edwards said - very nicely hidden - I must confess to going straight past it because I thought that 'secret' area was the same as in the v1.0 version!

I'm not sure whether I like personally like the 'invulnerable homing bombs', but at least they don't do that much damage and there are plenty of boxes about.

Minor gripe - that number flickers there caused quite a sprite slow down on my PbG4 (1.67Mhz, 1.5Gb, 128Mb card, running full-screen at 1024*768). Was great fun blasting them all though 🙂

Best time: 5:15. 100%. Why is there cream colored text in the boss room? You can't read it oh. I know what it is.

Yeah. Blow up the Control?

Can't access the file.

Latest version has been uploaded, should be on page soon. You can get it there.