Can't create Engineers

I have just started playing Darwinia and noticed that I can create Squads but no engineers. While the program almost constantly reminds me of what gesture I have to use the create an engineer I only receive a syntax error. When I use the option key and scroll to the left I see that there are no engineers available (no bar). I have now played for a while as I thought they become available later. I have now kill every virus on the first island and have to get across to the next but I have to reposition the dish ... I have also created a new profile hoping to get engineers but no joy.

Any ideas? What did I miss?

Wow... that is odd. First, let us see what your game file looks like. In the directory ~/Library/Application Support/Darwinia/full/users/(USERNAME)/ , you should see a file called 'game.txt'. The first line of this file should begin with 'redshirt2', and the rest is gibberish. This file has been encrypted using an algorithm called 'Redshirt2' (makes sense, yes?). Decrypt this file. There is a topic on this forum that will help you figure out how to do this: http://www.ambrosias...showtopic=94112

Once you have decrypted the file, you should see several lines like this:

Research_StartDefinition
Research Darwinian     0       2
Research Squad         0       1
Research Engineer      0       1
Research Laser         0       1
Research Grenade       0       0
Research Rocket        0       0
Research AirStrike     0       0
Research Controller    0       0
Research Officer       0       0
Research Armour        0       0
Research TaskManager   0       2
CurrentResearch         Squad
Research_EndDefinition

The first number in each column is the number of research points that have been applied to a given program, while the second number is the current level. The code shown above is what it should look like at the beginning of the game. If it does not, fix it and save it. You can then put this file back into ~/Library/.../(USERNAME)/ . You will not have to re-encrypt it -- the game should be able to use the text file as is.

That should do it.

xander

EDIT: Formatting

This post has been edited by darwinian : 20 April 2005 - 09:27 AM

Try creating a new user profile.

many thanks for the fast reply guys. I am at profile number seven right now. I also had a go at the game.txt file but it actually looks alright - still no fun. I can not image that I get the gesture wrong as I can create squad every time just the engineers end up in a syntax error.
I am runing a dual G5 and OS 10.3.8 any issues with this?

I'll keep trying a few more times before I can it.

Have you tried deleting the game entirely and reinstalling?

Make sure you're following the path exactly. You could also try video-capturing it with Snapz, and I may be able to tell you what's wrong with it, if indeed there's something funky with your drawing.

Thanks, I have installed from scratch, deleted every file from Darwinia before I installed again. I have attached an image which shows the path the mouse takes to create an engineer it also shows the resulting Syntax Error.

http://homepage.mac....rmapl/Darwinia/

Matariki, on Apr 20 2005, 04:57 AM, said:

Thanks, I have installed from scratch, deleted every file from Darwinia before I installed again. I have attached an image which shows the path the mouse takes to create an engineer it also shows the resulting Syntax Error.

http://homepage.mac....rmapl/Darwinia/
View Post

Um... that link causes the download of a .exe .

xander

I too have had this problem. I think it may be a bug in how the task manager reads gestures. I have found a way to get around it though. If you draw the engineer gesture without the last line (the downward stroke) it will sometimes create an engineer. Same for officers. If you just make the first diagonal line, it will eventually pick it up.

Matariki, on Apr 18 2005, 04:51 AM, said:

When I use the option key and scroll to the left I see that there are no engineers available (no bar).
View Post

You're misunderstanding that. A bar simply indicates an upgrade. If an item is listed at all, it is available.

Edit: Also, this took me a long time (too long, don't ask) to figure out: if you let go of option before letting go of the mouse button after drawing a command, the program won't be run.

This post has been edited by Rawzer : 21 April 2005 - 12:59 AM

hey there,

are you sure you're moving the mouse in the right direction? some gestures are from left to right while others are from right to left, you can check this in your taskmanager.

This post has been edited by Samoosa : 21 April 2005 - 01:58 AM

Thanks again guys.

To darwinian: It works for me but it might work for you using .../Darwinian/index.html
anyway, thanks for looking.

To Rawzer: I have actually realized that after my first post but thanks for confirming it. Regarding the option key I wait till the Syntax Error appears befor I release it. But nice to know what to avoid.

To Q11484: You made my day man! It actually works and so far every time. Many thanks. You'll get a choclate fish if you ever come to New Zealand 🙂

Many thanks to all of you for your help.

Cheers

This sometomes happens to me as well.

I found the easyest way to fix it is to draw the engineer synatx backwards

I had severe problems w/ this only while in Pattern Buffer level. It seems that w/ many darwinians running around and shooting the evil darwinians, the frame rate nearly dies (and times does die). When this happens, the ability to quickly draw the symbol for engineers is totally inhibited - it seems to be that if the symbol is not drawn quickly enough nor clearly enough (one of the strokes having a SLIGHT diagonal to it) then SYTAX ERROR occurs ad nauseum. The changing frame rate also can warp the recorded drawing of the symbol so that one stroke is too short, or becomes diagonal...

I am still stuck in Pattern Buffer due to frame rate issues. Sounds continue to play uninterrupted, even insinuating explosions where there shouldn't be any, but visuals get all tweaked out, frozen, and time warping... Worm holes in Darwinia..?!

It might also be helpful to mention to Matariki that after scrolling to the left when holding down the option button (thus seeing the status/version bars of weapons/engineers/darwinians/etc.), you can also click on any one of these bars to set the priority for which you'd like to see developed fastest. So, if you were to click on the Engineer bar, you'd see Dr. Sepulveda tell you that he will work on that program from here on out.

Just thought I'd clarify that so that you can begin to see improvements in the engineers!