Something that hasn't been done in a while

Lately I've been neglecting two thing: My creative tendons and the Ares community. I feel it's time to at least propose the notion of firing up another RPG. However I've been out of the loop a while and I'm not certain the tides of the boards are right for that sort of wave. So please, discuss, banter, debate, reminisce, propose, et al.

------------------
(url="http://"http://www.leapinglaughter.org") Dig a little deeper (/url)
As below, so above.

Seems like it would be a good idea to me.

------------------
"Humans are hicks."
- Paff's Law
It explains so much...

Well, how closely is it going to be tied to the actual Ares universe?

------------------
"What we do not know, we cannot begin to understand."

By "something that hasn't been done in awhile" I thought you meant "Posting in the officers club" and not only that, but "Sargatanus actually posting".

😛

Anyways... I might do an rpg if you guys started one but I highly recommend you just do a strict construction on the ares universe so there will be no stupid made up crap that people argue over all the time.

------------------
_The leaves rustling.
When is the last time you heard
that in a city.
_

Sounds good to me. There's been far too little going on around here anyway.

------------------
-Traek Cicion, barkeep extraordinaire
"PS: If nothing's working around here, it's because I'm laughing so hard."
-Durandal

I like the idea, although for some reason, previous RPGs here have failed to match the success of that first one "The Buildup". I believe that this is the result of not having enough people involved, a problem which will probably be more acute now that there are a grand total of tree people posting at all.

Now the Universe.

Strict Ares has been done, but there is a tremendous ammount of ambiguity, as the Ares universe is not strictly defined by the game language.

------------------
NEW NAME FOR THE DREADNOUGHT
The Hard-Boiled Egg
Why?
Because she cant be beaten!

This is, by its nature, made up crap. That said, I'll try and participate. I'm taking psychotic Ishiman client race military officer in ISN.

------------------
"In literature as in love we are astounded by what is chosen by others." Andre Maurois
Onii7/Frinkruds and his funky forums
macgamer.net

Well, this is a start. And on that note, why not an RPG that follows exactly the story of the game? There are so many different aspects to explore and write from that we could easily compile quite a load of literature. To start, we may have one post about Earth/Sol just prior to invasion, in the next the top brass of the Cantharan Star League planning a massive military cover-up of the Boodan "virus", and after that the Ishimans deciding to intervene with the UNS before the invasion. We can cover the goings-on aboard the Apollo, the first contact, the glorious battles that followed, and much more with the sheer amount of detail and ambiguity provided with the Ares Universe.

If this is agreeable to everyone I'll begin with a mid-ranking officer in the newly born UNS, born fresh off the heels of a world war. I'd like this to start from many different viewpoints that remain seperate as long as is prudent. Don't worry about "claiming" a race/faction to write for; leave it open for all.

I think that about covers my proposal for now, what say the rest?

------------------
(url="http://"http://www.leapinglaughter.org") Dig a little deeper (/url)
As below, so above.

It's interesting, hasn't been done before much. Sounds good to me.

------------------
"Humans are hicks."
- Paff's Law
It explains so much...

If so, I'd like to be more specific and be commanding officer on the gateship (or is that an Admiral/Fleet Admiral thing? I might just want to be a captain this time).

------------------
"In literature as in love we are astounded by what is chosen by others." Andre Maurois
Onii7/Frinkruds and his funky forums
macgamer.net

Sounds like it'll work, if enough people remain dedicated. I think I'll try out a newly recruited UNS officer.

------------------

(This message has been edited by Avatara (edited 07-25-2003).)

I'm in. Perhaps a captain of one of the Colony Ships later converted to Carriers? Although we will need aliens, and the UNS will probably be popular.

Sarg: For background, I'm pretty sure the decisive battle of WW3 was the Battle of Luna, and that the United States was the victor. If you check through the names of UNS Carriers, you'll notice most are named after US victories: Saratoga, France - and Luna. Of course, I could be drawing the wrong conclusions, but without anything definite, they seem logical enough.

------------------
"The libertarian roots of the Internet run deep. It was the place where innovation trumped experience, where the little guy had as big a megaphone as the largest network, where the small business could reach a global market, where the public could regulate far better than any government.
"No one imagined that the megaphone would become so loud or that it would speak so often of penis enlargement pills and opportunities for unusual financial transactions in Nigeria."
-New York Times, "How to Unclog the Information Artery" Money & Business, 5-25-03

I'd kinda like to be a pirate for this one. It'll be a nice change of pace. Perhaps a human pirate captain who might become involved in the conflict on one side or another.

------------------
-Traek Cicion, barkeep extraordinaire
"PS: If nothing's working around here, it's because I'm laughing so hard."
-Durandal

Eh, i've never done an RPG before. I'll give it a spin.

How 'bout this as a char?
Admeral Ashian: One of the lesser known ishman admerals, Ashian has finaly returned from the void after leaving to explore the space beyond the galactic south. His expidition left long before the ishmans had even yet encountered the canthrian order, and its masters. Throughout the entire Ares war, Ashian and his band of explorers were probing deeper and deeper into the galactic south, finaly reaching the galactic edge, they settled down and the small ishman colony began to grow roots. Apon recieving a signal to return home because of the canthrian assault, Ashian formed a small military and returned home, only to arrive shortly after the end of the Ares war.

------------------
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."-Albert Einstein

A good plan, but unfortunately he would enter at the end of the story. The idea here is to write from just before and through the storyline of the game.

------------------
sdrawkcab dootsrednu tub sdrawrof devil si efil

Originally posted by Sargatanus:
**A good plan, but unfortunately he would enter at the end of the story. The idea here is to write from just before and through the storyline of the game.

Oops, i thought this was ment to take place after the story...

Ok, zen in zat plaze i'll tzake zee plaze of zan Salrilian comander. Slima Slugg

------------------
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."-Albert Einstein

Well it sounds like we've got our roster. I'll get to work on the first post.

------------------

And so it begins...

------------------

(This message has been edited by Avatara (edited 08-01-2003).)

C'mon guys, I thought I had something that would fire off here.

------------------

Well I suppose I should officially designate this topic as the place to post anything about the new RPG that isn't an story addition. Questions? Comments? Ideas? All of that in here.

------------------