Things getting rediculous

Ok, I was sort of hinting at a plot for an Ares/EVO plug pack with the ring and the Oracular net becoming concious and whatever else, and it just got way out of control when everyone had to jump on the "I can crush the sals without any effort" bandwagon, myself somewhat included. I tried to make seem like a difficult thing to do which would make it somewhat interesting. But then EVERYONE had to call in their personal armada and gang up on the galactic bully, and I'm sure that's not what Cicion wanted when he opened the bar. Please, we can't all belong to the most advanced race in the universe, and we can't have our own personal armada. If there's one overwhelmingly powerful "goodguy" force, it gets boring.

Ok, look at the numbers in Ares. Who was the most powerful race? The Cantharans. Not because they were so advanced, but simply because they outnumbered everyone. The only reason the humans and Ishimans won is because of blitzkrig tactics; they attacked hard, and fast. And I assume that had the gateship not been destroyed, the Cantharan backlash would have crippled the Ishimans, and drivin the Humans to extinction. So why is the game so enjoyable? Near impossible odds. Whenever you failed a mission (and yes, we all did that at least once) you were told that everything you did was in vein, and the galaxy was completely screwed because of you. Now look at technology: if you played the entire game as the Elejeetians, the game would not have been nearly as enjoyable 'cause it would've been too easy.

The point I'm trying to make, is you can't go aroud saying that you are better than everyone else in every respect. Or a majority of them for that matter. If everyone's better than everyone else, there's simply no game. Here's where I start criticising characters (and I'm really not trying to offend anyone): if you're a high ranking figure in a more advanced race which does not yet appear in Ares, make your race not as numerous, or not militarily involved. Or have your race at a constant stalemate in a war with another race, where one slip-up could lead to your demise. The Phylydions could be new to the scene, peaceful, and prefer to remain neutral because they don't have a large military. The Nijiayas (sorry about the spelling) could have been a slave race of the Sals, and beat them hard enough, where they could get their space back, and signed a treaty of soverignty with them. A declaration of independance of sorts. Something.

Anyway to sum it up, even the odds, drop the grammatical chest pounding, and add interest to your character.

Sorry to be the one to b*tch about it but something had to be said.

P.S. Anyone interested in making an Ares and/or EVO plug? (Darkk, Cicion hint, hint )

------------------
" Throught their history, these 'unenlightened' beings have continually organized to opposed the injustices and attrocities committed by their bretheran in power. We, as the prophets, would do well to learn from these humans."
-Final statement of Salrilian reformist Sirthis before his execution.

And yes, I know how much of a hypocrit I seem to be, and I am considering giving my character a demotion.

------------------
" Throught their history, these 'unenlightened' beings have continually organized to opposed the injustices and attrocities committed by their bretheran in power. We, as the prophets, would do well to learn from these humans."

Smiles faintly

Yes, I'm afraid I have to agree with you here. It's all very well being from an advanced and powerful race, and saying so, but when EVERYONE seems to have their own personal armada which just happens to be more powerful than everyone else's, well, that's a little over the top.

Personally, as a character Sundered Angel has no status, no armada, and quite possibly no ship. I haven't really decided yet, because Sundered Angel exists to serve a purpose. He's a character.

Characters on this webboard have one primary purpose: Interaction. They represent us. Most grow as an extension of our handle. But when they begin to get in the way, when they cause problems with interaction, they need to be toned down a little.

What I'm saying is, by all means, have a rank. Even have an armada. But don't flaunt anything, else your character risks becoming an ego-trip, with all the associated risks.

Just my 2 cents,

Sundered Angel,
The One and Only

PS: Sargantanus: Good luck changing your name. It's impossible without a second e-mail address. And don't worry about being a hypocrite. At least you admit it. I know I haven't. ((As an aside, am I?))

PPS: Sargantanus: If you need any help on your plug, don't hesitate to ask me. I've had a little experience with EVO plugs, and am planning an Ares one, but I'm always happy enough to help.

(This message has been edited by Sundered Angel (edited 03-02-2000).)

Admiral Sargatanus wrote:
The point I'm trying to make, is you can't go aroud saying that you are better than everyone else in every respect. Or a majority of them for that matter. If everyone's better than everyone else, there's simply no game. Here's where I start criticising characters (and I'm really not trying to offend anyone): if you're a high ranking figure in a more advanced race which does not yet appear in Ares, make your race not as numerous, or not militarily involved. Or have your race at a constant stalemate in a war with another race, where one slip-up could lead to your demise. The Phylydions could be new to the scene, peaceful, and prefer to remain neutral because they don't have a large military. The Nijiayas (sorry about the spelling) could have been a slave race of the Sals, and beat them hard enough, where they could get their space back, and signed a treaty of soverignty with them. A declaration of independance of sorts. Something.

Anyway to sum it up, even the odds, drop the grammatical chest pounding, and add interest to your character.
(/B)

I agree, man. Everything I see, every ares character on the board, doesn't have much developement, they all just yammer about how much cooler and better and more advanced their race it. It's great to see some roleplaying on the forum, but this is basically "I'm bigger than you and no one's playing a Sal so let's go beat them up." THe ishimans are scared of the Sals. Hell, Everyone is... ANyways, would the sals really be excercising the extent of their technology on a race which they see as weak such as the humans or Ishimans? The sals have been around longer than anyone, by my guess, and most people don't want to mess with them... HMMMm? Maybe there's a REASON they're still around? Maybe they're NOT so easy to beat...

------------------
Lewis,
save yourself the pain,
you'll never get there.
-Radiohead, "Lewis (Mistreated.)"

Point taken Newt. But with the kinda firepower these characters supposedly have, even a million Sal carriers would be a mere snack...

------------------
Sundered Angel ,
The One and Only

I agree. My character doesn't have a fleet or anything, and I wish the other guys wouldn't brag about theirs, and make it seem that the Sals can just be walked over. I suggest that when we get to the confrontation part of our little story, we have some whacko new tech that nobody's ever seen being used by the Sals, and our fleets get pathetically squandered.

------------------

The problem with fiction like what I see in the bar is that there is no limit to the power that one can claim that they have. If one person says they have 10 fleets of 50 ships each, another person can say that they have 100 fleets of 500 ships each, and yet another person will say that they are commander of a whole race's ships, which totals to anywhere between 1000 and 1500 ships, depending on the current administration's policy on military budget. Cicon will probably step in at this point and say he's God.

So what comes after God?

I'll tell you what comes after God: The realization that this self-characterization is absolutely absurd, and this bragging and bull-****ting can go on ad-infinitum. I would worry less about what your Ares character looks like and more about what YOU look like. Go for a run, pump some iron, play a sport, get a breath of fresh air. It's pretty obvious that there are a few people in this webboard have no life outside this game, and one's entire life is a pretty big thing to invest into a computer game, even if it is the best.

This post has been edited by Aithon : 04 January 2007 - 06:04 PM

That has to be about the most intelligent thing I've seen posted in quite some time. Conversely however, it should be implied; common sense. A computer game does not physically exist (aside from being a bunch of tiny burn marks on some form of spinning surface). So why worry about a character that also does not physically exist, not even on papaer? I sure don't, the only reason I post so much is the fact that I have a long lunch and I'm close to a Mac at work and school. Admiral Sargatanus is little more than another manifestation of my archetypical neutral wierdo character whose motive is unclear that I would roleplay in some form or another whether it be on the AWB or some imaginative figure back when myself and my second grade friends would play ninja turtles, or transformers, or power rangers or whatever. But that's where the character ends. When the digital self becomes more interesting, more meaningful, more important than the physical self, it becomes a pathological illusion; a mental illness.

I have a life beyond the keyboard. One that I'm grateful for and see as somewhat overprivileged. I go to a small yet somewhat elite leftist alternative school, I write sci-fi stories, I practice multi-form martial arts, I study theology and spirituality in different cultures, I do security and sometimes perform in the local Rocky Horror Picture Show cast, I work a boring telemarketing job, I watch a lot of movies, play a lot of computer games, and I have a lot of friends, a girlfriend, and a family whitch I sometimes take for granted.

But now I'm ranting, and I don't want to start another "life stories of AWB members"

------------------

Yes, I noticed that this was heppening with a few people. Of course, no one's given a full report on the ring's defenses so for all we know the Sals could have a huge cloaked fleet there. I hope the Phylydion infiltrator will add some depth to the attack.

------------------
Commander Cicion, commander of Phylydion Primary Armada

"Never tell me the odds!"
-Han Solo

Hey, we have been at war with the Sals on and off for almost a million years, and we have nothing but a stalemate.
We have had quite a few worlds destroyed by the Sals, and would love to kill them, but all we have been able to do so far is force them to the bargining table.

------------------
Commander-in-Chief of the Nijayias Interstellar Navy.

Oh, a Ring Warz plug would be cool. As soon as I finish Ares:Expedition, I might work on it.
BTW - The Nijayias in the plug will have the same attitude as here, and you will have to fight them some.
Also BTW, our tech isn't any better than the Sals, with one or 2 execptions (and they probably have us beat places too). We just can fight better 😉

------------------

Oh. I figured that if the Nijayias were in alliance with the Phylydion Nijayias tech would be equal to Phylydion tech.

------------------

-Han Solo

Fleet Admiral Darkk wrote:
**Hey, we have been at war with the Sals on and off for almost a million years, and we have nothing but a stalemate.

Ummm, almost a million years is almost an evolutionary time scale... the salrilians and ninawhatthehellthey'recalled would both be quite different physically by then... And that's after each race developed space travel...

------------------
Lewis,
save yourself the pain,
you'll never get there.
-Radiohead, "Lewis (Mistreated.)"

Admiral Sargatanus wrote:
That has to be about the most intelligent thing I've seen posted in quite some time.

Thank you. I've come to terms with the fact that a lot of the members on this board are much younger than myself, and so I have not expected much in the way of their articulation. On the other hand, I'm sure they have much to say. What I mean is that many of them don't know quite how to say it.

**Admiral Sargatanus is little more than another manifestation of my archetypical neutral wierdo character whose motive is unclear that I would roleplay in some form or another whether it be on the AWB or some imaginative figure back when myself and my second grade friends would play ninja turtles, or transformers, or power rangers or whatever. But that's where the character ends. When the digital self becomes more interesting, more meaningful, more important than the physical self, it becomes a pathological illusion; a mental illness.

I have a life beyond the keyboard. One that I'm grateful for and see as somewhat overprivileged. I go to a small yet somewhat elite leftist alternative school, I write sci-fi stories, I practice multi-form martial arts, I study theology and spirituality in different cultures, I do security and sometimes perform in the local Rocky Horror Picture Show cast, I work a boring telemarketing job, I watch a lot of movies, play a lot of computer games, and I have a lot of friends, a girlfriend, and a family whitch I sometimes take for granted.

Good for you. My connection with my computer is bordering on unhealthy, but I do as much as I can, both socially and physically (ahem, not the gutter version of "physically"). Just because I've put up with a lot of fake life stories, I'll tell you what I do: During the summers I wake up at four in the morning, bike 5 miles to my crew's boathouse, row for two hours (approx. 12 km), bike to my internship at SmartStuff Software (makers of FoolProof Security), and then, after a full day of work, I bike home at 3:30. I eat dinner, and fall asleep.

During the school year, my life is pretty much absorbed by my school work. I've rowed a couple of seasons during the school year, but the time investment is a little too much for me. Since I have to have some recreation, I spend a quarter of it here and three-quarters of it with my friends, doing fun things such as playing croquet (I built us a website, check it out at http://www.ductape.n...haylor/croquet/), or publishing our arrogant, ungrounded pseudo-philosophy in a journal we call "Incidental Thoughts".

Cicion: The root of my concern is that your obsession with the Ares plot and characters has stemmed only from the great gameplay. I have bad news: The Ares plot isn't THAT great. It's okay, but some of the plot of other games by Ambrosia are quite exceptional. Read a few good novels and classic movies and you'll know what I mean.

This post has been edited by Aithon : 04 January 2007 - 06:05 PM

Actualy, it is. So is the Sals new line of ships...
And keep in mind we live between 5000 and 25000 years, depending on the strength of our powers.
Those are earth years.
The new line of ships protects Saril and the Audemedon construction yards, which is why you haven't met it yet.
We still have faster ships than them, but our shields are a little worse. Suits our tactics anyway.

------------------

No offence to the salrilians, bur they appear to ba a bit paranoid. I swear : THERE IS A CLOAKED SALRILIAN CRUISER FOLLOWING ME WHEREVER I GO!!! AAAAAAA!!!!
starts flipping out :eek: GET AWAY!!! GET AWAY!!!

My own Salrilian government is after me!!
I wonder if those OTHER Salrilians like salt on their food......

- Slug (Salrilian Agent Spy, just don't tell anyone)

------------------
"In accepting the inevitable, one finds peace. In denying it, one finds hope."
-Last words of Admiral Williams before the fall of Earth.

I aggree that everyone can't have their own personal armada, but at these bar prices, you'd have to be a commodore or at least a commander to drink there 😛

-Slug (Salrilian Spy, just don't tell anyone)

------------------
"In accepting the inevitable, one finds peace. In denying it, one finds hope."
-Last words of Admiral Williams before the fall of Earth.

On seeing my large (and well-upgraded) fleet you might be surprised to learn that I agree totally with you, but I've just been kind of hoping that everyone realized what was happening...

Oh well, enough of that. I have something in store for my fleet you see, that's why I made sure to make it real large. 😉

C'mon, when will our Sal offensive get officially launched? I hope the thing is handled right, I have a really funny idea.

------------------
"Landing request denied."

- The Igadzra

Company Tritanium Enterprises: (url="http://"http://www.megalink.net/~joe1/w/")http://www.megalink.net/~joe1/w/(/url)

Nijayias lifespans may be that long, but Phylydion lifespans are not. The average Phylydion lives for about 200 years. Igadzra(thanks to some exploring I did in evo I finally found out what the frell an Igadzra is), The offensive will not be launched until Lieutenant Jralla gets in and deactivates the main shield, which is impenetrable.

------------------

-Han Solo

You may transmit the order to attack to loneigadzra@ue.gov or loneigadzra@igadzra.str 😄

------------------
"Landing request denied."

- The Igadzra

Company Tritanium Enterprises: (url="http://"http://www.megalink.net/~joe1/w/")http://www.megalink.net/~joe1/w/(/url)

(This message has been edited by LoneIgadzra (edited 03-06-2000).)