Cool Nova Hacks

This is really not the place to theorise about hacks (seriously, start a topic) but...
It could be easily done with primary weapons. Not very useful I know but you would just need a whole bunch of primary weapons with different ranges. Make them planet-type and sub into the real weapon at the end of their life or whatever but it should work fine like that.

This post has been edited by Guy : 30 June 2007 - 05:35 AM

I have a thread on this, but I'll put it here too...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While trying to make a um... weapon type afterburner, I made a pretty nifty (possibly helpful) discovery. I call it, "the Swivel Booster!" (only because I can't think of a better name ).

What it does is fire a harmless yet highly explosive projectile, exploding right behind the ship. This in turn makes the player's ship move forward. But there's a bonus feature. It allows inertial ships to preform a 'sideswipe' (where a non inertial ship turns 90 degrees then fires flying sideways). I have only a vague idea why this happens.

Here's how to do it:

1. Come to a complete stop

2. fire the booster 'gun'

3. turn any direction and you will still continue to fly in your facing direction

I added a simple plug for everyone to play around with. Just buy it on any outfit (you might also want to take out your plugs, just in case).

Attached File Swivel_Booster.zip (3.99K)
Number of downloads: 4

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post any comments on this thread

This post has been edited by Snaily : 22 July 2007 - 09:36 PM

Here's a cool method to change the engine glow of a ship with an outfit. Bear with me, here goes.

You will need:

-An RlëD (and Rlë8 if you really want to go the extra mile) of the ship and the engine glow, as well as the modified glow.

-Two identical shďp resources.

-Two identical Shäns.

-An öutf and all required paraphernalia (Description, 200x200 picture).

-A good understanding of NCBs.

==================================

Let's begin.

Shän:
Set the second shän's glow to be the modified one that you should already have.

Shďp:
Make the second ship (the one that will have the modified glow) to never be available.

Make the first ship to have a Contribute bit.

Öutf:
Set the require bit to match the one that you made in the last step.

Set it so that the outfit can not be sold.

NCBs:

This is where it all comes together.

Go into the outfit and set the OnPurchase to bxxx & cyyy where xxx is a bit of your choosing and yyy is the second ship's ID.

Go into the second ship and set the OnRetire field to ^bxxx.

Go into the first ship and set the availability to !bxxx. You may have to change the "Show in shipyard only if availability is true" field to make it show up once you have the upgrade.

=================
You're done!

P.S. I may have forgotten something. I've got that weird feeling in the back of my head like I did. If I remember something that's not in here I'll edit it.

Anyway, tell me wacha think!

This post has been edited by Cosmic_Nusiance : 01 September 2007 - 09:03 PM

Interesting idea.
You don't need to make the outfit never able to be sold, just put stuff in the OnSell field to undo everything.

@desprez, on Sep 12 2007, 07:07 PM, said in Cool Nova Hacks:

Interesting idea.
You don't need to make the outfit never able to be sold, just put stuff in the OnSell field to undo everything.

Hmmm... I guess you're right. An engine isn't really the type of thing you can just sell, though.

This post has been edited by Cosmic_Nusiance : 12 September 2007 - 07:41 PM

To be fair, isn't this really just a spin on the solution for outfits changing ship appearance? I wouldn't call this much of a breakthrough.

It is a neat idea, though.

I think it also allows the illusion to be retained that you have the same ship. You might be right. Anyway, even if it's not a breakthrough, it is still nice to know how to do it.

@cosmic_nusiance, on Sep 12 2007, 04:33 PM, said in Cool Nova Hacks:

Hmmm... I guess you're right. An engine isn't really the type of thing you can just sell, though.

You just gave me the BEST IDEA for an outfit. Someone else would have to do it, because I don't know the coding, but imagine making different 'engine' outfits that mod your max speed and/or acceleration and the like. You could buy them and sell them. Give each ship a base max speed and acceleration of 0, but make them all come with a certain 'engine' for their class. You can sell this outfit and buy another engine (assuming you have the free space (weapon)) which would give you more speed (or less, depending on what you buy). This is just a little idea of what you could do.

~Zetsu~

EDIT: The engines would increase the values by certain amounts, basically setting the new speed of the ship. You can control what ship gets what by making them weigh different amounts.

This post has been edited by ~Zetsu Akira~ : 03 October 2007 - 02:06 PM

That has been done in CTC, ~Zetsu Akira~.

Is there some way to stop a ship that's about to hyperjump (or is leaving the system in mid-jump) from doing so?

Um, make a beam that instantly disables the ship? If you or another ship get disabled in the process of jumping, the jump cancels. I can't think of anyway to do it without disabling the ship.

@soitbegins, on Oct 10 2007, 05:50 PM, said in Cool Nova Hacks:

Is there some way to stop a ship that's about to hyperjump (or is leaving the system in mid-jump) from doing so?

If your ship is huge, and has a good tractor beam, it can prevent ships from accelerating into hyperspace. I haven't yet tested to see if you can stop an already accelerating ship...

Other interesting facts about tractor beams:

If you are in a small ship, and use the beam on any larger object, you will pull yourself towards the object. This can be useful to latch yourself onto a huge asteroid to avoid missiles. Unfortunately, this cannot be used to hitch a ride through hyperspace. Too bad

Tractor beams can be of varying strengths. Stronger tractor beams have a much better pull than weaker ones, obviously.

Tractor beams have no pulling effect on objects of equal mass, instead more of an immobilizing or pushing effect.

Realistic bays like the super carrier usually houses all kinds of fighters. I assume the reason why EV has to have certain kind of bays for each fighter is due to the limit of the game engine at one time. But with Nova, you can now have one bay that houses all kinds of fighters. First, create a bay, and in the onpurchase bit field, grant invisible 0 ton bays that pertains to various fighters. Finally, to really limit the number of fighters one can have, you can add a ton or two on the fighters themselves.

Hmm. How could it be donw so that you could only, say, have 4 fighters in total? so that I culd have 4 different fighters, or 4 of the same fighters, but not more than 4. Without using mass.

It's not really a good idea to have fighters take up mass as this mass is free to be used for other things when you launch the fighter. It's very difficult to properly limit fighters when using multiple types per bay. I think Derakon has done it though.

This post has been edited by Guy : 23 November 2007 - 03:43 PM

Hmm, I suppose yeah it would be difficult if you added mass to the fighters themselves.

You could just make each bay weigh and cost a lot less and hold only one fighter.

One option would be to have four variants of each fighter type, each with a different contrib/require combination. Each time you buy or sell one, a different "tier" becomes available. The fourth tier makes no fighters available.

A theoretical method for exceeding Nova's mission limit. (Here.)