Not quite, but..?

Has anyone messed with naev? I've moved to Ubuntu from OS 9 (rip) and this seems to have potential to bear a strange fruit...

No, but welcome back rmx256.

I have, and it's actually kinda dead now. Check the time stamp, their last update to the blog was a while ago. In the forums they mentioned that the original team members have kinda gotten too busy to work on it, and they released all their notes and resources to the public to continue, but no one's done anything as far as I've seen. Plus their latest release (which is still kinda old) doesn't even work properly on anything above 10.6 for Mac, due to a lack of X11 support.

In other words, you've kinda missed the party.

I was involved for quite a while once. I gave them tons of ideas of things to improve, new story elements, etc. This was their response:
Posted Image

Yeah. I kinda moved on. They only wanted coders, not creative minds.

EDIT: Haha. The hotline worked for me. Fixed.

This post has been edited by Geek : 27 December 2013 - 01:33 PM

They gave you an IMG404? The nerve...

edit: I, for one, would be encouraged by penguins.

This post has been edited by Sklent : 29 December 2013 - 10:41 AM

I messed with it last night. Seemed like fun. I remember it from "back in the day" and was impressed... I should have looked at the last updated date, however. I couldn't find anything else "EV"-ish for Ubuntu that looked worth a damn, and then remembered the naev.
Oh well... Ubuntu is at least much more impressive than X. Not a substitute for os9, of course, but good enough and free :)/>

BTW /bows respectfully towards Pipeline.

This post has been edited by rmx256 : 27 December 2013 - 10:27 PM

Anyway, I'd love to have something EVesque that didn't have the damnable multiplayer crap. Are there any other linuxy options that I should know about?

I've heard rumours of a successor to Elite.

Just wanted to point out to people that NAEV is still in development and has been spurred back to life by it being "greenlighted" on steam.

Ooo, I should check that out. Last time I tried running NAEV the latest version wasn't even compatible with 10.8 anymore.

It ran well for me when I downloaded it the other day and played. I have 10.6.8 though.

I must admit, I find it a LOT more challenging than EVNova in starting out. I don't recall ever having too much of a hard time playing through the whole game (though, I started playing back in EVO, which I found very challenging for a while and I never found a great way of making money other than pirating "traders" and renegades. But I learned from that game), NAEV seems to have an even harder learning curve as it's hard to acquire/find jump links between systems. Also, pirates being quite frequent in almost all systems I've entered.... very challenging.

Glad I could spur some interests again in the forums here 🙂

@darthkev, on 27 December 2013 - 02:04 AM, said in Not quite, but..?:

I have, and it's actually kinda dead now. Check the time stamp, their last update to the blog was a while ago. In the forums they mentioned that the original team members have kinda gotten too busy to work on it, and they released all their notes and resources to the public to continue, but no one's done anything as far as I've seen. Plus their latest release (which is still kinda old) doesn't even work properly on anything above 10.6 for Mac, due to a lack of X11 support.

In other words, you've kinda missed the party.

As of february 2015 it is alive again. The engine and scripting could be realy cool. The base scenario content is pretty uninteresting though, and there's no plugin architecutre yet, but lot's of potential now. Works on OSX again.

@user_bland, on 07 March 2015 - 06:35 AM, said in Not quite, but..?:

As of february 2015 it is alive again. The engine and scripting could be realy cool. The base scenario content is pretty uninteresting though, and there's no plugin architecutre yet, but lot's of potential now. Works on OSX again.

giddy dance