Delphi Ship Creations

Three things.
1.) Sp3cies, that turret is sweet!
2.) I decided to change the forward hull structure, as I wasn't having much luck, to the one DarthKev used.
3.) I didn't have a whole lot of luck...

...Until about five minutes ago. The only reason I have the background as more of a gray than black (if you can tell), is because if I set it as dead black, all of the lines in the model would turn white. So, it looks cooler, because of the changes and the fog effect, and stealthier because I changed the forward hull and the bridge. Let me know what you think!

QUOTE (DarthKev @ Aug 14 2010, 12:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The front, though, just doesn't scream 'stealth' to me.

DarthKev, stealth ships aren't supposed to scream. 🙂

EDIT: Full emphasis on STEALTH! 😛
*** :hector_bird: ***

This post has been edited by Spartan Jai : 14 August 2010 - 10:21 PM

Nice, much better. In fact, it reminds me a bit of Athenian Warships. They were designed with narrow front ends made of metal for battering rams. Your ship looks like it could do the same thing.

This post has been edited by DarthKev : 15 August 2010 - 12:23 PM

Thanks. That's an interesting thought though. You could theoretically make an outfit that was so short (probably a beam) that in order for it to hit, you had to be right on top of the target ship for it to hit, ie it being a battering ram. Anyway, thanks for that tip. Concerning pictures below, I decided that I wanted to do some more work on my Blue Heavy Fighter, and I really wanted to add what I have dubbed the 'minigun effect'. Take a look at the old nose gun in the other post, and look at the new one. Then, I decided I wanted more angles, and came up with the other shots.

Now, I didn't put all of the barrels exactly right, but you get the idea.

For this I just wanted a different angle on the nose gun.

I wanted another view from the back, but decided that I needed to add an engine. So I did. I also added the translucent (it's at 75% opacity, so...) engine 'glow' effect.
Just in case anyone wants it, or wants to fix the barrels, I've uploaded the gun as an attachment.
EDIT: Just in case you didn't know, even thought you know more than I do, it's easier to make the square pyramid just bu taking a rectangle, using the push/pull tool, and rotating only the face 180 degrees. Lot simpler than making a bunch of lines to make faces. Well, actually only 8 lines, but...

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Spartan Jai : 15 August 2010 - 12:57 AM

Okay, decided to make another custom rebel ship for my friend, as he is obsessed. Pics posted below.

Let me know what you think. By the way, the last picture is there just 'cause. The ship doesn't look like that.
EDIT: Maybe it should look like that...

This post has been edited by Spartan Jai : 15 August 2010 - 03:35 PM

I like the other images better than the last. Those white lines don't do it justice. This ship, though, also reminds me of the Viper but without the forward wings. Basically a civy Viper with Rebel colors.

This post has been edited by DarthKev : 15 August 2010 - 06:20 PM

That was the basis of the idea. I was trying to mix different viper variants to create this. I made it for one of my friends, once I get the hang of making shans (I actually had to create a topic on it), because he's obsessed (as stated before) with the rebels. I don't think the bottom picture looks too bad, but you are right. See this link if you think you can help. http://www.ambrosiasw.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=129085

Revised Cambiare, or just a larger ship from the same company? I dunno~. Still need to make the large weaponry that is going to be mounted on the upper pods.

Umm. How is that a revised cambaire? doesn't even look like the original. Still looks completely awesome.

I don't know if anyone has noticed, but I like fighters and miniguns (especially together). Unfortunately, I do have larger ships for me to take care of. So I developed this.

Viola! Minigun Turret! Best. Weapon. Ever. Except maybe the battering ram I developed (with darthkev's help).

QUOTE (Spartan Jai @ Aug 15 2010, 08:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Except maybe the battering ram I developed (with darthkev's help).

Hate to burst your bubble there, but that idea's been used before in EVN. You're not the first to try implementing it. I'm sure there are more somewhere, but the only plug-ins I can think of at the moment that added a battering ram weapon are Arpia and one (or more) of the Empire plug-ins. No, nothing to do with Star Wars, I'm talking about a series of 6 (with a 7th in the making) pseudo-TCs for EVC that changed the Confederation to the Terran Star Empire, a tyrannical government bent on the enslavement/annihilation of anything not human, and the Rebels are transformed into the Weave, an alliance of the very alien races threatened by the TSE.

I realize that arpia used it. I've completed all three storylines. I just like to overindulge myself in, well, my own little world. I know I'm not the first to use any of these ideas. I just like writing stupid stuff like that. And when I mentioned your name, I did so purely so that everyone knows that a certain plug containing a certain weapon that is only for a certain person's use was inspired by you. Not that you would mind if I didn't have you there, I presume. Besides, with the turret, I really wanted to make a high detail one, and I was able to! That makes me happy. Just because I am easily satisfied with what I do.
EDIT: Usually satisfied.

This post has been edited by Spartan Jai : 15 August 2010 - 11:49 PM

QUOTE (Spartan Jai @ Aug 14 2010, 10:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

...I wanted another view from the back, but decided that I needed to add an engine. So I did. I also added the translucent (it's at 75% opacity, so...) engine 'glow' effect.
Just in case anyone wants it, or wants to fix the barrels, I've uploaded the gun as an attachment.
EDIT: Just in case you didn't know, even thought you know more than...

When I've made 'glow' effects, I use the eraser and hold down the 'Ctrl' key to smooth out the lines of whatever shape I've used. That gives it a little more of a halo-effect and it looks less like an actual shape and more like an amorphous cloud. Holding down 'Shift' hides the lines, FYI. And when I need to make pyrimids, I draw two lines across a rectangle and use the move tool to pull the center out (don't select anything, just hover the move tool over the intersection and move it perpendicular to the surface).

QUOTE (DarthKev @ Aug 15 2010, 08:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hate to burst your bubble there, but that idea's been used before in EVN. You're not the first to try implementing it...

Actually, I am.* Bottom of the page, the two "Khamikazi.sea" files. And we went one further, we made it so that you use the weapon to ram someone and it does damage to you (in this case, destroys you... well, actually your AI fighters, which is harder to do, because the AI doesn't like suicidal weapons).

(Edit: *Several people have pointed out that I did not invent the battering ram in the EV series, however I will maintain that AGDenton and I implemented and released a plug which uses a battering ram effectively for AI in NOVA first. I meant it slightly tongue-in-cheek, as the creator of the battering ram was being discussed and I had actually created a plug which utilized it. /Edit)

This post has been edited by Meaker VI : 16 August 2010 - 06:19 PM

That looks much better! Thanks! Here, take a look:

QUOTE (Meaker VI @ Aug 16 2010, 09:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, I am.

No you're not. You released those plug-ins in 2004, according to the page you linked to, and for EVN. Didn't you read my entire post? The Empire TCs were for EVC. The first installment was released back in 1997, five years before EVN was even released in 2002. Don't believe me? Check out this page. Scroll down, you'll see even the last of the six TCs* was released in 2003, still one year before your plug-ins. I can't say for sure the Empire TCs were the first, but they were definitely before your plug-in. You were not the first.

• Yes, I mean six. It was originally three, but three more were added later. There's currently a seventh in the works for EVN named Heart and Sol. It is currently awaiting missions.

This post has been edited by DarthKev : 16 August 2010 - 03:29 PM

QUOTE (DarthKev @ Aug 16 2010, 01:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No you're not. You released those plug-ins in 2004, according to the page you linked to, and for EVN. Didn't you read my entire post? The Empire TCs were for EVC. The first installment was released back in 1997, five years before EVN was even released in 2002. Don't believe me? Check out this page. Scroll down, you'll see even the last of the six TCs* was released in 2003, still one year before your plug-ins. I can't say for sure the Empire TCs were the first, but they were definitely before your plug-in. You were not the first.

• Yes, I mean six. It was originally three, but three more were added later. There's currently a seventh in the works for EVN named Heart and Sol. It is currently awaiting missions.

Hmm... You seem to have gotten me. I did not notice that you were writing regarding EVC. However, I think I (/we, AGDenton worked with me to figure it out) may have been the first to get the computer to use it self-destructively in NOVA.

As for your star, that is the unfortunate thing about NOVA, it is much more difficult to make a successful TC- I haven't decided if it's because people expect more due to the larger NOVA-verse and greater capabilities of the engine, or if it is because it actually is that much more difficult to develop for, or if there aren't as many capable people as there once were (due to either the expansion of the gaming base or the advancement of computing technology past NOVA).

This post has been edited by Meaker VI : 16 August 2010 - 06:15 PM

QUOTE (Meaker VI @ Aug 16 2010, 11:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, I am.

I disgree. Martin Turner's Frozen Heart TC has a collision weapon, which makes for a powerful short-range (no-range?) weapon on the Tachyon Fighter. Not sure of the date of release on his plug, but I recall playing it in high school, around 1999-2002 timeframe. Well before any 2004 plug releases.

Ultimately, new ideas in a game like this have probably been used a few times in devs' pet plugs before any published plugs ever demo them. Can you still claim them as your idea if no one else has finished a plug that uses them? I don't know. If it is important to have some sort of reputation as a developer of novelties, I wouldn't stop you even if I had come up with the same idea 6 years earlier in my own unreleased plugin. I'm of the bent that reputation (specific to EV plug-in development) should come from the ability to tell a good story and build a well-crafted plug around that story with solid gameplay and a feeling of accomplishment.

It'd be nice to claim 'firsts' for a lot of neat features in EV, but I'd just advise humility

-Werhner

edit: I realized that EVC was mentioned in some of the earlier posts. Frozen Heart wasn't released for EVN, so disregard.

This post has been edited by Werhner : 16 August 2010 - 04:59 PM

QUOTE (Werhner @ Aug 16 2010, 02:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

(snip)
It'd be nice to claim 'firsts' for a lot of neat features in EV, but I'd just advise humility

-Werhner

edit: I realized that EVC was mentioned in some of the earlier posts. Frozen Heart wasn't released for EVN, so disregard.

Yes, DarthKev pointed that out and I clarified a post or so up. While I was developing for EVC, I never released any of that stuff.

Also, I did specifically quote the part referring to EVN, not any other portion and thus was not trying to infer that I'm the first to do that ever, but I'm pretty sure that AGDenton and I implemented it in a plug released for EVN first. However, the battering ram wasn't really even the point of the plug- the real innovation was getting an AI to properly commit suicide while battering someone else.

Finished the Gunpods. I rather like the idea of Highly modular pieces for spaceships. It allows a great deal of flexibility for mission needs, and should something fail or get damaged it can easily be detached, even mid-flight should it become hazardous.

Meh one picture doesn't want to cooperate.

This post has been edited by Dracheseele : 16 August 2010 - 06:36 PM

When it comes to playing Nova, space combat is everyone's favorite part. As always, everyone likes different ships. My favorites are the IDA Frigate and the Mod Starbridge. I like the IDA more, so I decided to make a revamp of it, which would be considered a New Earth IDA Frigate, instead of old.
"The scary floaty thing told me to use Tucker's imagination. I don't have Tucker's imagination, so I used my own imagination to pretend that I had Tucker's! And look what I came up with!

Tucker is very smart!"~Caboose during ODST Mythic Map Tour with 343 Guilty Spark's twin. Anyway, let me know if these are horrible. I'll be sure to blame Caboose (or should I blame Tucker?) if they look horrible. If not, I take all credit.