EV Nova: United Galactic Federation

The progress log for the EVN:UGF total conversion.

Jeez, I'm out of it for a little while, everything goes to hell in a handbasket.

• holds a moment of silence for EV Nova.net *

Well, where was I?

I'm still chugging away. I have need of helpers for programming the potency of the weapons, and I haven't even started working on the missions yet.

If you want to help out with the weaponsmithing, there's a ZIP file you can download from the "Downloads" section of the website. Also available is the first of the preambles. Sorry, but it's in DOC format; I don't have the software to convert it to PDF. Yet.

For those of you who are new to EVN:UGF , it takes place just over a thousand years after the end of the Rebel storyline in EV Nova. The events of the interval are explained in detail in the preamble.

Technical Specs: I'm using EVNEW on Windows XP to build the plugin.

That's everything for now.

For those of you who are new to EVN:UGF, it takes place just over a thousand years after the end of the Rebel storyline in EV Nova. The events of the interval are explained in detail in the preamble.

That is interesting, but not very informative. What is it about? What is going on? How good are your ship graphics?

And most importantly.....

What's the big idea?

This post has been edited by Shlimazel : 19 September 2007 - 06:03 PM

I am experienced with EVNew, but I currently have projects of my own and I am beta testing anathema.

I'd be happy to answer your questions concerning EVNew if you have some, but other than that, I am afraid I don't have the time to work on other projects right now.

Maybe I could give you a hand after I'm done with anathema, though. Seems interesting and the progress log is still going since February, looks like you've got some motivation.

@Shlimazel: you can see info about his plug on the links in his sig.

Everybody and their grandma is either...

A.) Beta Testing SOMETHING
B.) Making their own TC
C.) Doing something TC-related

Good luck finding help.

Actually, my grandma just finished her TC, so she should be free.

yourgrandmasnamehere@randomsite.com

It'd be funny to see if a spambot picked that up. 😄

The "Age of the TC" is upon us! Repent from your evil ways or face destruction at the hands of the developers and thier super pers ships!

The fact that a number of people who know what they are doing are making TCs is a good thing. I'm glad I started over a year ago so I can throw around bits of advice from the large amount of experience I've picked up.

@joshtigerheart, on Sep 19 2007, 10:30 PM, said in EV Nova: United Galactic Federation:

The "Age of the TC" is upon us! Repent from your evil ways or face destruction at the hands of the developers and thier super pers ships!

The fact that a number of people who know what they are doing are making TCs is a good thing. I'm glad I started over a year ago so I can throw around bits of advice from the large amount of experience I've picked up.

What about those of us who probably couldn't claim to have any idea what we're doing, and are making TCs anyway?

@otter, on Sep 20 2007, 06:29 AM, said in EV Nova: United Galactic Federation:

What about those of us who probably couldn't claim to have any idea what we're doing, and are making TCs anyway?

Sounds like me! 🙂

This post has been edited by SoItBegins : 20 September 2007 - 09:28 AM

Sshhhhh, be quiet! You're going to ruin my sermon: "Players in the Hands of an Angry Developer".

For the record I'd like to state that my TC is finished and in beta. You will worship me as though I were a god.

For the record I'd like to state that my TC is finished and in beta. You will worship me as though I were a god.

Of COURSE it is. This is the age of completed total conversions prophesised by the ancients. 'It will begin when the SHLIMAZEL walks the web' they said, and behold....

Actually, it was more like: "In the beginning, there was a plug. And the plug was Nebula. And it was good."

@cosmic_nusiance, on Sep 20 2007, 03:09 PM, said in EV Nova: United Galactic Federation:

Actually, it was more like: "In the beginning, there was a plug. And the plug was ARPIA 2. And it was good."

Fixed.

Actually, it was more like: "In the beginning, there were a plug s. And the plug s were ARPIA 2 and Nebula. And they were good."

And fixed again! 😄

And don't forget Polycon, the first TC. Actually, in addition to ARPIA2, four TCs have been released. There are at least two TCs in beta. All of which were started before you came to this board and announced Nebula.

There was mine, in alpha version, if that counts. :rolleyes:

I believe the order of TCs is Polycon, Miners, Teacup, and then Paintball (though the latter does not have original graphics). The next one is either going to be Colosseum or Ashen Galaxy. While Colosseum is already in Final Candidate stage, GSN has the advantage of being able to produce his own graphics.

If I was willing to forgo beta testing I could release AG right now.

Note from Beta Tester:

Allow me to explore all systems, do all missions, and test all ships/outfits before you release. That way, I can find all possible bugs before release.

Oh for crying out loud...

I don't know about the rest of you clowns, but I am serious about EVN:UGF.

Okay, I'll try and answer some of your questions.

@shlimazel, on Sep 19 2007, 07:03 PM, said in EV Nova: United Galactic Federation:

That is interesting, but not very informative. What is it about? What is going on? How good are your ship graphics?

And most importantly.....

What's the big idea?

My ship graphics are currently still at the concept art level; I don't even have any design software and was planning to outsource some of the work when it gets to that stage.

EVN:UGF combines elements of EV Nova, Star Wars, StarCraft, and my own writings. The plug basically starts you off the same way as in EVN, but a thousand-some years further in the future.

There are six major star nations involved, the largest and most powerful being the United Galactic Federation. The Galactics, as they are commonly called by other star nations, consist of over a hundred million species on five hundred million worlds (I'm going to push the SPOB and SYST resources to the limit, like Uncle Twitchy’s SFA), with a government much like our own United States, and a population upwards of 983 trillion citizens. The Galactic storyline has the player work either as a James Bond-style operative, or as a member of the United Galactic Navy. You get to choose.

The neighboring Varellavite Imperium is much smaller and poorer than the UGF. Unlike most empires it's actually not all that imperial. Though some member systems were conquered, most joined on their own terms. Its government is ostensibly a constitutional monarchy headed by a parliament, prime minister, and the emperor, but lately the Masterminds, a group of tactician-generals who command the Varellan military, have basically gained control over the Imperium. One of the storylines seeks to correct this; the player joins the Gryphon's Children, a rebel group headed by an embittered ex-Imperial advisor who was railroaded into early retirement by Mastermind Bokontlarka.

The Ganbar Empire is economically and technologically on a par with the UGF, though population- and size-wise it doesn't even come close to its giant neighbor. They used to be warm allies with the Galactics, but their relationship has recently cooled; border skirmishes are increasingly common between the United Galactic Navy and the Ganbar Imperial Fleet. Like the Imperium, the Ganbar Empire is nominally a constitutional monarchy, but it’s moving closer to a dictatorship as Emperor Tazzo gathers more and more power to himself. A rebel group calling itself the Churgos Revolutionary Front seeks to reverse this trend, spurred on by the recent mysterious deaths and disappearances of a series of prominent reformist politicians. The player gets to choose whether or not to join with the emperor’s supporters, or the CRF. Either way, you get access to Ganba ships and outfits; the imperialist substring is more combat-oriented, whereas the CRF substring is more story-oriented.

Star Wars fans may recognize the Chiss Ascendancy. They are extremely isolationist, but are friendly with the UGF. Their main opponents are renegades and pirates, notably the Vagaari. These are a race of piratical nomads who raid worlds for treasure and slaves; they make no distinction between governments, attacking independent traders, Chiss colonies, and Galactic border worlds with equal malice. The Chiss string is story-oriented, and sends the player on diplomatic missions to the other governments, as well as a substring that has the player fighting a Vagaari chieftain who has become a particular threat.

The Balcrusians are one of my own creations. These purple-skinned, stalk-eyed, clawed humanoids are hot-headed but clever. Several million Balcrusians are Galactic citizens, but these are refugees and children thereof, refugees from the two horrific Balcrusian Civil Wars. The first came very early in the hundred-year history of the UGF, when fascist rebels overthrew the Balcrusian Empire and replaced it with the Balcrusian People’s Republic, ruled by the High Council (one High Councilor who has ultimate power, and eight Councilors who represent the various ministries, or “Lower Councils”). The second was just over thirty years before the start of the game, when a coalition of interests in Balcrusian space rebelled, and were bloodily suppressed by the Republic’s Scimitars, a paramilitary organization under the command of the Balcrusian Security Council. The Scimitars also provide deep-cover operatives to keep an eye on the other governments’ dealings from close up. The player becomes first a member of the Balcrusian People’s Navy, then is transferred to the Scimitars following a “tryout” mission. He or she helps to provoke a war between the BPR and the UGF, then fights to keep the plan from catastrophically backfiring, and ends up on the High Council.

Lastly, the Protoss. StarCraft fans should definitely know who they are. For those of you who don’t, they are a race of tall, smooth-skinned humanoids with no mouths or noses. They have immense innate psychic abilities, and are by far the most technologically advanced race in Known Space; their ships are easily the most powerful vessels in the game. They are, in other words, the Polaris of EVN:UGF. They are ruled by the Conclave, an elected council of the most meritorious members of the four castes: the Templar, Judicators, Khalai, and Dark Templar. The Templar are the Protoss military; the Judicators are administrators; the Khalai are scientists, doctors, laborers, and the like; and the Dark Templar, in addition to aiding the other castes, help to keep the peace. I haven’t really worked out the details of the Protoss string yet, but it will be something similar to a cross between the Vell-os and Polaris strings. (By the way, I’m not including the StarCraft II storylines in this, because quite apart from the fact that nobody except Blizzard knows what they are yet, EVN:UGF was in development before SC2 was announced.)

@geek, on Sep 21 2007, 02:45 AM, said in EV Nova: United Galactic Federation:

Note from Beta Tester:

Allow me to explore all systems, do all missions, and test all ships/outfits before you release. That way, I can find all possible bugs before release.

I appreciate it, Geek. I'll take you up on that when it gets to that stage. It'll be a while, though.

By the way, folks who help with construction, or are extremely helpful, will get a PERS resource.