CPT Hector's Back?

@spartan-jai, on 18 March 2011 - 02:30 PM, said in CPT Hector's Back?:

I thought the good Captain flew a Rapier then a Helian and most recently a Starbridge.

Most people first saw Captain Hector flying a Starbridge. A fair few have seen Captain Hector flying other EV: Nova ships. Very few people, perhaps not even a dozen, have ever seen Captain Hector flying a Rapier or Helian.

I am among that elite group. I have also had Captain Hector steal massive amounts of credits from me.

Part of me wants to explain what Qaanol means simply because of how excited I am to be one of the few to know what he means*. But the rest of me wants to let everyone else figure it out.

*Assuming I'm right, anyway, but I'm fairly certain I am.

Mostly I’m just nitpicking that the name changed from Cap'n Hector in EVC and EVO to Captain Hector (subtitle Shareware Enforcer) in EVN.

@qaanol, on 18 March 2011 - 07:06 PM, said in CPT Hector's Back?:

Mostly I’m just nitpicking that the name changed from Cap'n Hector in EVC and EVO to Captain Hector (subtitle Shareware Enforcer) in EVN.

And Captain Hector (subtitle "Unemployed") in EVN:UGF. 😛

@starsword, on 30 March 2011 - 06:44 PM, said in CPT Hector's Back?:

And Captain Hector (subtitle "Unemployed") in EVN:UGF. 😛

That's horrible! I like it!

I too have witnessed Cap'n Hector in its Rapier and its Helian. It sure was annoying when the good captain stole the greater part of your credits.

-K

I thought it was more annoying how, when dominating planets in EVC, if you hadn't registered and Hector came into the system and attacked you, you couldn't dominate the planet after destroying the defense fleet because Hector was still hostile towards you. In EVN, you can complete domination even if there are still hostile ships around (just as long as they aren't part of the defense fleet) but in EVC there had to be no opposition to you in order to complete domination. Especially annoying because you can't shoot Hector at all. On the bright side, she's practically harmless once she's out of ordnance, so there's no real danger, just annoying.

The addition of stealing credits in EVO made me stop playing till I registered it. I was saving up for a Freight-Courier, and didn't want all my hard work to go to waste.

In the original Escape Velocity Hector was actually the product of a përs resource, so with ResEdit you could put her into whatever ship you liked.

But yes, the stealing credits in EV Override probably pushed the product too far into the realm of nagware for its own good. I know when we were talking about the potential restrictions for unregistered users in Nova , it was generally agreed that there shouldn't be anything like that.

@darthkev, on 04 April 2011 - 06:18 PM, said in CPT Hector's Back?:

I thought it was more annoying how, when dominating planets in EVC, if you hadn't registered and Hector came into the system and attacked you, you couldn't dominate the planet after destroying the defense fleet because Hector was still hostile towards you.

Hector attacks you in EVC?

Eventually, yes. You see, when I first started playing EVC and EVO, I couldn't afford the shareware fee (yes, money was that tight) so I just played, expecting the game to stop me at some point. Eventually Hector started attacking me, but I could easily dodge her torpedoes and rockets, and her protons weren't too dangerous, so all I had to do was avoid her.

Speaking of the past, when I first played EVC and EVO, I recognized EVO was made after EVC, but mistook it for a prequel. I hadn't found the aliens in EVC yet, so when I saw "mottled red and grey alien vessels' known as Voinians, I figured those were the same aliens in EVC's documentation, mentioned by Captain Scumdog. I figured EVO told the story of EVC's 'great war'. Boy was I wrong.

@darthkev, on 05 April 2011 - 09:50 PM, said in CPT Hector's Back?:

Speaking of the past, when I first played EVC and EVO, I recognized EVO was made after EVC, but mistook it for a prequel.

A lot of people made similar assumptions. One major plug-in even had the Council flying the alien ships from Escape Velocity.

@darthkev, on 05 April 2011 - 09:50 PM, said in CPT Hector's Back?:

Speaking of the past, when I first played EVC and EVO, I recognized EVO was made after EVC, but mistook it for a prequel. I hadn't found the aliens in EVC yet, so when I saw "mottled red and grey alien vessels' known as Voinians, I figured those were the same aliens in EVC's documentation, mentioned by Captain Scumdog. I figured EVO told the story of EVC's 'great war'. Boy was I wrong.

I totally thought the same thing too.

I just didn't play much of EVO - I think the stealing of credits turned me off, but also there was just something about it I didn't like as much as EVC or EVN.

I'm pretty sure that I have killed Captain Hector though - I think the forklift hitting an adjacent ship would blow her up. Speaking of which, why did that ever get taken out of the game? Best Easter egg ever!

@meaker-vi, on 06 April 2011 - 10:07 AM, said in CPT Hector's Back?:

I'm pretty sure that I have killed Captain Hector though - I think the forklift hitting an adjacent ship would blow her up. Speaking of which, why did that ever get taken out of the game? Best Easter egg ever!

Yes, and you could achieve a similar effect by detonating a couple of bulk freighters under her — the trick was that you had to deal enough damage to completely destroy her ship in one go, since her shields never went down.

I have a question. How come you keep calling Captain Hector "she", when Hector is a guy's name?

@starsword, on 06 April 2011 - 02:16 PM, said in CPT Hector's Back?:

I have a question. How come you keep calling Captain Hector "she", when Hector is a guy's name?

<cryptic grin>

@starsword, on 06 April 2011 - 02:16 PM, said in CPT Hector's Back?:

I always thought of Captain Hector as a guy as well, but apparently it's actually named after a female parrot.

Sorry, I wasn't paying attention when the thread started.

@david-arthur, on 04 April 2011 - 07:16 PM, said in CPT Hector's Back?:

But yes, the stealing credits in EV Override probably pushed the product too far into the realm of nagware for its own good. I know when we were talking about the potential restrictions for unregistered users in Nova , it was generally agreed that there shouldn't be anything like that.

Yeah, now he just tries to blow you to kingdom come after the thirty days are up. And since his ship (I always thought of Hector as a he) is absurdly well armed and invincible, and apparently has a cloak scanner (I've tried to evade him in a Zephyr, and failed), he'll kill you every time if you don't manage to jump out before he arrives.

Opinion is split. On one hand, Ambrosia’s office parrot is definitely female. On the other, they originally believed her to be male — hence the name Hector — and didn’t make the discovery until some years after Escape Velocity and EV Override were made, so some people argue that it’s still appropriate to refer to Cap’n Hector as ‘he’.