Changing ships then changing back

Da Uncatchable's secret is out!

@slouch, on Sep 13 2007, 09:47 AM, said in Changing ships then changing back:

It can be done... within certain limitations. The greatest limiting factor is the number of crons required to accomodate each non-persistent outfit item. It takes 3 crons for each item, plus an additional 7 control crons. So, if your scenario has 168 or fewer non-persistent outfit items, it could work. Of course... that would leave you with 1 cron for the rest of your scenario... and that's just to accomodate a single ship in storage...

... still interested?

Could you use invisible missions that activate when you land instead of crons?

There's only about a hundred and fifty missions beyond the ones in Nova that you can use without replacing any.

@guy, on Sep 12 2007, 11:26 PM, said in Changing ships then changing back:

Could you use invisible missions that activate when you land instead of crons?

I suppose it's possible... though it has been a long time since I did any work on this project. The only way I was ever able to wrap my head around this was using continuous iterative crons...

I think it might be best to just mark this idea with a large red rubber stamp reading "Possible, but not Practical".

Done. 😄

Attached File idea.gif (42.33K)
Number of downloads: 21

@slouch, on Sep 14 2007, 07:22 AM, said in Changing ships then changing back:

I suppose it's possible... though it has been a long time since I did any work on this project. The only way I was ever able to wrap my head around this was using continuous iterative crons...

Oh right, the iterative ones. They would certainly be tricky with missions.

@cosmic_nusiance, on Sep 13 2007, 06:30 PM, said in Changing ships then changing back:

Done. 😄

Attachment idea.gif

SWEET!

@slouch, on Sep 12 2007, 02:47 PM, said in Changing ships then changing back:

It can be done... within certain limitations. The greatest limiting factor is the number of crons required to accomodate each non-persistent outfit item. It takes 3 crons for each item, plus an additional 7 control crons. So, if your scenario has 168 or fewer non-persistent outfit items, it could work. Of course... that would leave you with 1 cron for the rest of your scenario... and that's just to accomodate a single ship in storage...

... still interested?

Hey, I managed a mission set without any crons. For a mission to happen later in the future, just set the mission chance quite low. If it's a reasearch thing, then it makes more sense, because they might have very good luck one time, and then the worst luck in the universe the next.

You'd think it would be possible to just do some kind of push/pop thing. That shouldn't be too difficult to add to the engine.

It won't be, of course. But it wouldn't be too difficult, probably.

@lindley, on Oct 14 2007, 08:10 AM, said in Changing ships then changing back:

You'd think it would be possible to just do some kind of push/pop thing. That shouldn't be too difficult to add to the engine.

It won't be, of course. But it wouldn't be too difficult, probably.

How do you mean? I have actually just figured out how to make crons, so I might use some in my mission set. I have made one, but haven't tested it yet.

I'm expressing thinly veiled frustration at the "no engine modifications will be forthcoming" policy, and simultaneously hinting that if an open-source alternative to the EVN engine is ever worked on, that would be a good feature.

Why not just duplicate your pilot file? One file with one ship, another with the other ship.

@lnsu, on Oct 14 2007, 02:38 PM, said in Changing ships then changing back:

Why not just duplicate your pilot file? One file with one ship, another with the other ship.

I don't think there's a way to have the game access the other one.

Not at the same time. Just open whichever one you want to use.

@lnsu, on Oct 15 2007, 01:02 PM, said in Changing ships then changing back:

Not at the same time. Just open whichever one you want to use.

Um, I think he was talking about having the game retrieve ship data from the other file, to restore the ship.
Anyway, I have a semi-solution. You can have the game set a differant bit for every ship you buy, except for the one you get for the mission. Have it so you keep all of your outfits, and then give a new ship depending on what ship you used to have. I would do that by filling up about fifty differant outfits, only showing if the bit is set, and when you buy one, you get your origanal ship back. Would take a lot of programming though, and you'd have to edit the core files.

@0101181920, on 15 October 2007 - 06:17 PM, said in Changing ships then changing back:

Um, I think he was talking about having the game retrieve ship data from the other file, to restore the ship.
Anyway, I have a semi-solution. You can have the game set a differant bit for every ship you buy, except for the one you get for the mission. Have it so you keep all of your outfits, and then give a new ship depending on what ship you used to have. I would do that by filling up about fifty differant outfits, only showing if the bit is set, and when you buy one, you get your origanal ship back. Would take a lot of programming though, and you'd have to edit the core files.

why not just simplify the process. instead of having the ship/outfits stored why not just make a station in which one could sell off the outfits of. Base quantity would be 0 making the station have no available outfits for purchase but still being able to sell the items for no resale value. once the item itself was sold to station outfitters the quantity level of said outfit would mirror however many of that item type was sold.

the same could be done for ships as trading the ship in would bump quantity level from 0 to 1. making the ship repurchasable from said shipyard for the cost of 0 credits and a resale value of 0 credits. the player would have to resell all the outfits on the current ship first as inconveniant as this is or selling the ship would dump all the outfits and the player would receive no compensation.

i dont really see the complication of scripting it if all your doing is buying and selling to a very specific station designed solely for the purpose of acting like a hangar for the player. though again i wouldnt know how to accomplish such a feat since im only now starting to view other peoples plug ins and see how they tick. but this method sounds alot less complicated then actually having the game try to remember specific ships and there specific outfits. the only thing that i could see as a potential problem would be items like mass expansions/cargo expanders since you cant resell them. but again this could be solved by making the hangar station have them for sale for a cost since there quantity level would be set to unlimited.

In essence all you'd be doing is buying a new ship and buying the outfits all over again but the only difference is that there all centralized in a specific station.

or an even simplier idea would be just to have all the outfits and ships available at a marked up price to hamper player abuse. or perhaps the station itself could be made out of the way from the actual gaming area to limit its use. or a combination of general annoyance tactics to limit its abuse. if ya wanna "store" your ship resell it for its estimated worth which would pay you that payout and you could purchase a new ship and outfit it right then and there. not really a hangar per say but it would simplify the process of outfitting by not having to travel halfway across the universe for one outfit then back again for another outfit.
though sounding unfair at the marked up prices the rationale would be that instead of traveling all over the universe to find the best outfits the trade off would be less travel/higher prices. if you wanna do it the harder way it would cost you less but again as game progession happens wealth comes regardless. initially it wouldnt be cost productive to even consider buying from this station. or maybe even making the station itself unavailable until a mission string is completed that would require the player itself to reach a certain "level" of monetary wealth.

and coupling that with specific mission requirements ie sneaking into a pirate base via a pirate porsche or a mission that time and again blows away the wrong ship type to accomplish the mission itself, No more super raven being able to beam burn threw the mission, by making the mission itself use enemies designed to counter shield tankers by making phasic weapons that pass threw shields and inflict armor damage directly. using mission specific enemies you would force the player itself to have armor tankers and shield tanking setups. or by making certain ships resistant to certain weapons. again this is all here say since i dont know how to pull it off but conceptually it sounds feasible and far more tactical.

This post has been edited by Sleipnir : 23 January 2011 - 06:34 AM

@sleipnir, on 23 January 2011 - 06:12 AM, said in Changing ships then changing back:

why not just simplify the process. instead of having the ship/outfits stored why not just make a station in which one could sell off the outfits of. Base quantity would be 0 making the station have no available outfits for purchase but still being able to sell the items for no resale value. once the item itself was sold to station outfitters the quantity level of said outfit would mirror however many of that item type was sold.

the same could be done for ships as trading the ship in would bump quantity level from 0 to 1. making the ship repurchasable from said shipyard for the cost of 0 credits and a resale value of 0 credits. the player would have to resell all the outfits on the current ship first as inconveniant as this is or selling the ship would dump all the outfits and the player would receive no compensation.

Doesn't work like that. Stations have an infinite quantity of all outfits they sell. Either they sell them or they don't.

I don't want to sound mean, but...
It has been done before for EVO and EVC. It is possible, but complex and not what I would suggest you do as your first foray into plug-making.
You can find the EVO and EVC versions here:
http://www.ambrosias....php?addon=2017
http://www.ambrosias....php?addon=2018
http://www.ambrosias....php?addon=2019

though sounding unfair at the marked up prices the rationale would be that instead of traveling all over the universe to find the best outfits the trade off would be less travel/higher prices. if you wanna do it the harder way it would cost you less but again as game progession happens wealth comes regardless. initially it wouldnt be cost productive to even consider buying from this station. or maybe even making the station itself unavailable until a mission string is completed that would require the player itself to reach a certain "level" of monetary wealth.

That would work fine, but to increase cost IIRC you need a duplicate set of ships and outfits with higher costs, and that high-cost set is only available at said station.

Actually, the ränk resource may work, I'm not familiar with the behavior of its cost modifier.

Doesn't work like that. Stations have an infinite quantity of all outfits they sell. Either they sell them or they don't.

Well in the Archenar system theres a station called Sirrusa (might be part of the plug pack) which in the outfitters section ONLY lets you sell off your current inventory at that station. If the game can read your current outfits and quantity only then why cant it add one one more step ie memory? simply selling and remembering those specific outfits and quantity at that specific station? I mean it doesnt sound like that hard of a step up.. or maybe the games mechanics just arent setup for it idk honestly. just seems like an easier thing when a station does 2 out of 3 steps already.

again forgive my ignorance. im using rational and logic with no technical expertise to back up my statements.

just downloaded mission comp and cracked open lohengrin plug in. figured id dissect something small before i cracked open acheron or polycon.

on a side note anyone know any small mission only plug ins i can dissect?

@sleipnir, on 23 January 2011 - 12:55 PM, said in Changing ships then changing back:

Well in the Archenar system theres a station called Sirrusa (might be part of the plug pack) which in the outfitters section ONLY lets you sell off your current inventory at that station.

Sirrusa has a special tag set which causes it to buy back any outfit that the player has, whether it is sold there or not. The idea is so that if, for example, you capture a ship that has technology not available in your storyline, you aren't stuck with useless items you can’t get rid of. But I’m afraid this feature can’t be extended to produce the behaviour you’re looking for.