Misn Resource Problem

Just to be sure, I'm uploading an archive of all three. 1 is before accepting. 2 is after accepting. 3 is after completing.

Attached File(s)

Your pilotlog also shows you didn't complete the mission. The mission shows you need to take the cargo from Earth to New Ireland and then go back to Earth in order to complete the mission. Your last two pilotlogs were also made in the same place, the Mera system, obviously the new system you created.

Are you sure you're completing the mission correctly? You sure you're going back to Earth after going to New Ireland?

You did not complete the first mission.

A helpful technique is to use <DST>, <DSY>, <RST>, and <RSY> (also <DL>, <PAY>, etc.) in mission offer and briefing descriptions so you know where you need to go.

All right guys, here's the thing. I said earlier in the topic that the plug that the resources are from was too large to upload. Now, knowing that there are two new syst/spobs that are in the plug (you guys didn't (couldn't have) know), I know that you had to take it from Mera to Earth. I obviously had to change that in order to make it work. Before you ask, I did copy everything correctly, and changed it from Mera to Earth to Earth to New Ireland. Now, I wasn't really awake, so I accidentally made it so you have to go to New Ireland. The original intention was for it to have you go to New England. I was one off. Sorry, but I didn't think that far ahead (having never done this before). Now I'm going to create more pilotlogs with the mission file I uploaded. Sorry about that... I'll upload those as soon as I get time.

P.S. You CAN call me a moron. I already figured that out.

This post has been edited by Spartan Jai : 08 August 2010 - 01:24 AM

Wait a minute, wait a minute. Let me get this straight: you couldn't get the next mission to show up because you were on the wrong planet? :huh: 😮 :rolleyes: :hector_bird:

EDIT: Hey, how'd the parrot get in there?

This post has been edited by StarSword : 08 August 2010 - 01:44 AM

Nonononononono. Not what I said. I copied the missions to a separate plug, which I changed the planets that you get them at because I couldn't upload the entire plug. Ex: Misn 1 is at spob 3984. Spob 3984 is part of a plug. The whole plug cannot be uploaded. It's too big. Therefore, you cannot have the misn still offered at spob 3984. That's what happened! So, I copied the data, and changed where you got it and where it took you, primarily for the purpose of uploading it. If you would like to have the entire plug, feel free to post an e-mail, dropbox, or anything else. Regarding the parrot, you either posted that and asked the question primarily for me to type this and look like a moron, or, you accidentally posted a picture (somehow?), or, you entered a string of symbols/letters/numbers that told the forum *whatchamacallit to post a picture of a parrot. Not that I'm betting on any of those.

*Whatever software runs these forums. I saw something like Powered By IP.Board IPS, Inc somewhere.

By the way, not to get too far off topic, but while typing this I noticed it didn't underline whatchamacallit in red. Odd, huh? Was it added to the dictionary while I wasn't paying attention?

The parrot, at least, I can answer: it's a smiley on the same principle as :), and it represents Hector D. Byrd, a real parrot who acts as Ambrosia's mascot and evil overlord.

That's actually really cool... I don't know why, but it is. I also like parrots. Anyway, the pilotlogs are gonna have to wait, because I'm leaving soon, and I just checked this really quick to see anything new. By the way, I actually found the parrot on the second page of smileys. Of course, all of you probably figured that out after reading David Arthur's post.

******** :hector_bird: :hector_bird: *********

This post has been edited by Spartan Jai : 08 August 2010 - 09:07 AM

Just to be sure, you designed the mission on purpose to not be completed till the player got back to where the mission began? That's what you have and, given your track record (no offense) I'm just making sure you completely understand how to properly make a mission.

What the mission says now is the player must pick up cargo from where they start the mission, then take it somewhere, and then go back to where the mission started to actually finish the mission. Is this what you intended?

Yes, that's what I intended. Actually, on the first mission you just (in the normal plug) go to earth, and it's done. You don't have to go anywhere else. Not true for the second mission.

******** :hector_bird: :hector_bird: :hector_bird: ********

Well that's how the first mission is coded, you go somewhere, and then you go back. Maybe that's why you're not getting the second mission and the bit isn't being set: you simply didn't complete the first mission yet.

QUOTE (David Arthur @ Aug 8 2010, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The parrot, at least, I can answer: it's a smiley on the same principle as :), and it represents Hector D. Byrd, a real parrot who acts as Ambrosia's mascot and evil overlord.

That's not quite what I meant; I meant how'd it get into the post.

(The answer, of course, is that I put it there for laughs, after coding a series of smilies to showcase my reaction.)

EDIT: Hey, three pages of threads for one bug. That's a record, I think.

QUOTE (Spartan Jai @ Aug 8 2010, 12:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, that's what I intended. Actually, on the first mission you just (in the normal plug) go to earth, and it's done. You don't have to go anywhere else. Not true for the second mission.

******** :hector_bird: :hector_bird: :hector_bird: ********

Oh no, Captain Hector's multiplying!

This post has been edited by StarSword : 08 August 2010 - 04:56 PM

QUOTE (DarthKev @ Aug 8 2010, 12:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's what you have and, given your track record (no offense) I'm just making sure you completely understand how to properly make a mission.

You are completely right. I don't understand what I'm doing. Which is why I try everything (being an inexperienced plug maker) before having to turn to you guys for help.

QUOTE (StarSword @ Aug 8 2010, 05:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

EDIT: Hey, three pages of threads for one bug. That's a record, I think.

Maybe, but not necessarily a good thing either. I apologize, but I WILL get those pilot logs to you.

If you solved your problem we don’t need the pilotlogs. Those were just to help diagnose it. The issue is you hadn’t completed the first mission.

All right, so the problem was, I wasn't completing the mission. Now, how am I supposed to fix that? I looked at the pilotlogs and noticed that the bit that is used for the first mission, 447, never got set. So is that the problem? I assume so. If I remove all bits and other requirements (there are none), it should work fine?

Earlier in this topic, Qaanol, you said that it worked just fine. Did both missions work fine? Anyway, I took away all bits, did the first mission, and went to the other planet in the plug for the second one, and it didn't show up still! I set it to appear in the mission BBS, and it says no missions are available! No bits, no requirements, no nothing! It's just set to show up in the mission BBS! Even if you don't have the cargo space! I just don't get it. I've tried filling out (and un-filling) every field! I've tried different bits, different cargo, different amount, heck, I even changed the descriptions! I don't know. This is extremely frustrating. But, not surprising.

EDIT: Hopefully you realize that it is not surprising because you guys aren't helpful, but that this is the first time I've A.) messed around with control bits, B.) tried to create a story-line like thing.

This post has been edited by Spartan Jai : 08 August 2010 - 09:31 PM

QUOTE (Spartan Jai @ Aug 8 2010, 10:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

All right, so the problem was, I wasn't completing the mission. Now, how am I supposed to fix that? I looked at the pilotlogs and noticed that the bit that is used for the first mission, 447, never got set. So is that the problem? I assume so. If I remove all bits and other requirements (there are none), it should work fine?

Barring some catastrophic disaster and you need to completely reinstall Nova, you'll be just fine.

If this mission is supposed to be triggered by the completion of another mission then you need to set up the Availability and OnComplete fields as follows:

_ Mission A:_

• Availability: !b447
  • OnComplete: b447

** Mission B:**

• Availability: b447 & !b448
  • OnComplete: b448

A textual flowchart of the above:

1. Mission A can be triggered if b447 is inactive. This starts the mission string.
  2. Completing Mission A activates b447, making Mission A unavailable.
  3. Mission B is available when b447 is active and b448 is inactive.
  4. Completing Mission B activates b448, ending the mission string and making Mission B unavailable.

This is basic mission string syntax for Nova; I'm a little surprised they don't mention it in the Nova bible.)

If you like, you can then use b448 in DESC resources to, say, make NPCs remark on the fact that your character now has a prosthetic leg (if I remember the initial post correctly). (That procedure is outlined in the Nova bible.) Or you can make upgrade OUTFs for the leg available in the outfitter or whatever. Prosthetic leg with a retractable chainsaw and bottle opener ... ok, better stop there before I start drooling on the keyboard. 😄

(By the way, I was just teasing when I mentioned that the thread had hit its third page. I've got a snide, twisted sense of humor.)

This is about the exact procedure I went through at about 12:00 last night.
Opened MissionComputer. Opened Missions plug in. Removed all control bits. Tested. Mission didn't show up. Got frustrated. Punched wall. Punched wall again*. Added bits. Mission 1 worked. Mission 2 didn't. Got more frustrated. Punched wall again. And again. And again**.
So even though I can mess around with it as much as I want, it still won't work.

*I didn't really punch the wall. I might have, though, had it been 1:00.
**Still didn't really punch the wall. Was actually thinking about it though.

QUOTE (StarSword @ Aug 9 2010, 01:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you like, you can then use b448 in DESC resources to, say, make NPCs remark on the fact that your character now has a prosthetic leg (if I remember the initial post correctly). (That procedure is outlined in the Nova bible.) Or you can make upgrade OUTFs for the leg available in the outfitter or whatever. Prosthetic leg with a retractable chainsaw and bottle opener ... ok, better stop there before I start drooling on the keyboard. 😄

(By the way, I was just teasing when I mentioned that the thread had hit its third page. I've got a snide, twisted sense of humor.)

That leg upgrade thing actually is a good idea! The endless possibilities!

And, snide twisted senses of humor can easily be appreciated.

QUOTE (StarSword @ Aug 9 2010, 01:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

_ Mission A:_

• Availability: !b447
  • OnComplete: b447

** Mission B:**

• Availability: b447 & !b448
  • OnComplete: b448

Those are the exact bits that I have, except when you go to get the second mission (with or without bits), you never can get it! I hate this... Punching all and computer and anything else repeatedly. Not really. I just play Urban Terror. Helps relieve stress.

QUOTE (Spartan Jai @ Aug 9 2010, 09:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Those are the exact bits that I have, except when you go to get the second mission (with or without bits), you never can get it! I hate this... Punching all and computer and anything else repeatedly. Not really. I just play Urban Terror. Helps relieve stress.

At what spöb are you landing to look for the second mïsn?

There is a very slight chance your computer might have corrupted your copy of EV Nova and you’ll have to reinstall it, but it is rather immensely more likely that you are either looking in the wrong place, or do not have enough cargo space, or have inadvertently made some other restriction on the availability of the mission, which your pilot does not meet.