Age of the Council (AotC)

QUOTE (ElGuapo7 @ Jul 8 2008, 04:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Override inspired my writing career. Go AotC! (if i can help, yell!)

Cool its GodzFire

Qaanol? Were you ever going to elaborate on your remarks? Please don't keep us hanging!

<sorry, ignore this; posted before I read the whole topic>

This post has been edited by n64mon : 06 February 2010 - 12:23 PM

Too bad this isn't continued, it looked so promising.

While the sentiment I am sure is appreciated, we do frown upon gravedigging around here. 2 1/2 months isn't exactly epic, but still.

QUOTE (pac @ Dec 28 2006, 10:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Okay, here's a quick question which doesn't warrant a new thread. I've just been reading through Zacha Pedro's (very good!) annotated template for weapons. This has left me with lots to think about, but one immediate practical question (which is the one that started me reading it in the first place):

What is the best way to implement different sized fighter bays (for the same type of fighter)? (That is, they launch the same type of fighter, but hold different numbers of them, and might also have other different properties, like the rate at which the fighters are launched.)

As I understand it, it isn't possible to have 'shared' ammunition with fighter bays (because for a bay, ammunition doesn't point to a weapon, but to the ship that's created). (Or would it be more accurate to say that all fighter bays that launch the same type of fighter share ammunition, but you still need separate outfit resources?)

Anyway, my plan at the moment is to have separate outfits for each bay, and for the ammunition for each bay. Most bays will be non-purchasable/sellable, so they won't be seen. (Also, no ship will have more than one bay for the same ship type, in case that causes problems.) The fighter outfits will only show up if you have the right bay for them (to save the player confusion from seeing two (or more) versions of the same fighter for sale, and the developer from having to explain it in the description).

Or is there a better approach? (Or are there flaws in the one above?) Can using a common ammunition in fact work?

More generally, in fact, is using a common ammunition completely stable for non-fighter bay weapons in the Nova engine? I always avoided it like the plague � But it seems to work okay in Nova (Chainguns, etc).

Come to think of it, that's another thing I've wondered: why does Nova convert different types of fighters into a single type? (More to the point, how can it tell what class the converted fighter is supposed to be?)

I'm not sure what you mean. As far as I know, different classes of, say Pirate Vipers, need their own separate bay. One for Missile Vipers, one for Beam Vipers, etc. EVN doesn't put them together as the same craft.

Please take discussion of EV: Nova engine mechanics to a different thread.

QUOTE (Qaanol @ May 3 2010, 06:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Please take discussion of EV: Nova engine mechanics to a different thread.

Qaanol, you never told us why Pac wasn't working on this project anymore. What happened? Did he die or something?

QUOTE (Odie @ May 3 2010, 10:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Qaanol, you never told us why Pac wasn't working on this project anymore. What happened? Did he die or something?

He is, to the best of my knowledge, alive and well and occupied by other things.

What Qaanol means is he's too preoccupied with other things to work on this. Understandable as PAC is, after all, human.

Qaanol, you also said before that someone had access to PAC's work in case he gave anyone permission to continue work on it in his stead. However, you never identified that person, nor did you specify if PAC was ok with others working on it.

I know you like to be cryptic (perhaps it's just your nature if not something you do on purpose) but sometimes there's a limit to how cryptic one should be.

This post has been edited by darthkev : 05 May 2010 - 10:16 PM

QUOTE (Qaanol @ May 3 2010, 11:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He is, to the best of my knowledge, alive and well and occupied by other things.

Better than dead, for sure.