[ANN] MissionComputer 4.0 is now available

Good afternoon, everyone!

At the beginning of 2007, I split off an additional copy of MissionComputer from the 3.3.3 update I was then developing. This second copy, which I called 'Crusoe' since it was 'cast off' from the main code base, allowed me to take on more complicated projects without breaking the source files on which the release version depended.

The first of these projects was to port it over to a more modern platform, which brought with it greater stability and Intel support (which we now know is coming to EV Nova itself as well); next, I disassembled and rebuilt the main document window and every editor in order to allow multiple resources to be open at the same time. Subsequent pre-release versions brought editors for the shďp and wëap resources, a revised star-map editor supporting graphical direct manipulation, and other changes numerous to mention here.

After more than a year of public alphas and betas, Crusoe - now called MissionComputer 4.0 - is now ready for final release. In homage to EV Nova 's Australian origins:

😄 Weird advert, but it works for me.

Well done on the release.

That advert is downright disturbing. Well done.

@pace, on Oct 6 2008, 02:50 PM, said in [ANN] MissionComputer 4.0 is now available:

😄 Weird advert, but it works for me.

It makes more sense if you watch the original. 🙂

Yay for the release version! 'Tis a shame it wasn't done nearly in time for it to be used in the development of CTC (I used 3.3.3, since I didn't want to use alphas and betas on such a large project).

YAY! Thanks DA!

I never got around to messing with the graphical system editor before, and it's AMAZING! 😄

Dear Sir David Arthur,

It has come to the attention of the Qaanol Committee for Awesomeness (QCA) that you are in possession of more than your share of awesome. The committee notes your willingness to share your awesomeness with the rest of us, and considers that grounds for leniency. As such you will not be charged with monopolizing awesome at this time. However, you are being warned: should your excessive awesomeness continue, corrective action may be deemed necessary in the future. Have a nice day,

~Qaanol

insert choir of small children here

"Great! Thanks, DA!"

(voice over) Mission Computer. Get it now! (/voice over)

Great job, thanks 😄

Now that's just creepy.

I like the fact that after editing a syst I can return to the galaxy map, but would it be possible for MC to remember the window position? For some reason it's opening in a window that covers only the lower right hand corner of my screen, and I have to keep expanding it.

where am I? still orbiting effing tau ceti trying to shut down these effing AI's!

@rmx256, on Oct 7 2008, 07:46 AM, said in [ANN] MissionComputer 4.0 is now available:

I like the fact that after editing a syst I can return to the galaxy map, but would it be possible for MC to remember the window position?

I'll definitely take a look at this — the new platform on which 4.0 is based makes this a lot less bother than it would have been previously.

People upgrading straight from 3.3.3 may want to delete their MC preferences before attempting to use 4.0.

Before I deleted mine, MC4 would not start up all the way (never get to the Mission Computer 4 intro window), but my computer would still be loading something. On a hunch, I guessed that 3.3.3 preferences may have been mucking it up, so I checked them. I don't know where things went wrong, but MC4 apparently was trying to write new preferences or something, because the preferences folder had over 50,000 files and took up over one gigabyte of memory, after which I noticed I had about that much free space missing. I deleted them and MC4 loaded up fine.

That's odd — MissionComputer 4 doesn't even save its preferences file in the same location as 3.3.3. Perhaps there was something left over in your old cache folder that was confusing it. What sort of files were the ones in the preferences folder?

Don't know, I used "Get Info" to find out those statistics. It was weird and may have something to do with the fact that I dragged and dropped MC4 in the same folder where MC 3.3.3 was and replaced it.

Also, MC4 complains about CTC's Graphics file, warning about corruption, even though it's just fine at 16 megs (though I recall correctly, that's pretty much the safe limit).

lol

what type of files are they?
}don't know, but i got info on them.
...., wtf?

@joshtigerheart, on Oct 7 2008, 09:35 PM, said in [ANN] MissionComputer 4.0 is now available:

Also, MC4 complains about CTC's Graphics file, warning about corruption, even though it's just fine at 16 megs (though I recall correctly, that's pretty much the safe limit).

16 MB isn't the 'safe' limit: it's the maximum. Being that close is a bad idea, especially considering that file size is not the only limit that applies to resource files. The developers of both EV Override and EV Nova experienced corruption well before 16 MB; that's why there are so many separate data files.

Congrats, David! I'm amazed at the amount of work you've put into this app, and very grateful.

Cool ad, but.... Where the bloody what are you? Was the audio clearer pre-YouTube?

@dr--trowel, on Oct 8 2008, 09:38 AM, said in [ANN] MissionComputer 4.0 is now available:

Cool ad, but.... Where the bloody what are you? Was the audio clearer pre-YouTube?

Yeah, the audio wasn't clear either. But I checked out the actual YouTube page and the description indicates she's saying "Krim-Hwa" as in that religion in the Nova universe.