Winter Tempest damage and fuel use

Hi everybody, I'm noticing an odd behavior and I'd like to know if other people are seeing it. First off, I'm talking about stock EV Nova 1.0.10, meaning no plug-ins, especially not any beam fixes.

What I see is the Winter Tempest does no damage to shields. In the past I had always thought it deals damage to shields and armor at the same time, but now I see it only deals damage to armor, ignoring the shields completely. Am I accurate in this assessment? Has it always worked that way?

How fast did Winter Tempest use fuel in older version of the game, before auto-machinegunning arose? In particular, did it use 15 fuel every frame, or every 17th frame, or something else?

Also, have Flower of Spring and Summer Bloom always used fuel at the same rate as each other?

I'm pretty sure the weap resources for these weapons have not been changed at all in 1.0.10. However the WT will appear to consume fuel slower in 1.0.10 due to the high workload created by all those overlapping lightning beams.

Yes, the resources stayed the same. The engine under them changed. I'm trying to figure out exactly what used to happen before the engine changed, because I assume that to be the "correct" intended behavior. Perhaps a better question would be, does anyone have a copy of 1.0.9 (or 1.0.8 I guess) that I can use for testing purposes please?

@qaanol, on Aug 13 2008, 07:43 PM, said in Winter Tempest damage and fuel use:

What I see is the Winter Tempest does no damage to shields. In the past I had always thought it deals damage to shields and armor at the same time, but now I see it only deals damage to armor, ignoring the shields completely. Am I accurate in this assessment? Has it always worked that way?

No and yes. I remember distinctly in 1.06 that the Winter Tempest bypassed shields completely. Unfortunately, I can't think of a way to make a weapon do damage to shields AND armor at the same time... using a single weapon resource. I have some ideas utilizing at least two.

Oh, it's quite easy using two. Exact same damage, except one bypasses shields, and the other does no damage to armor. But it can't be a secondary weapon.

It's slightly more complicated than that, since you can't have an outfit resource refer to two separate weapon resources, if I recall correctly.

Well it's no trouble granting the extra weapon but you can only fire one secondary at a time.

Qaanol, the only thing that changed in 1.0.10 was how beam decay is handled. Previously, decay would not activate if you just held down the fire key (with exceptions). Now decay will always activate.

Always, it's impossible to do damage to sheilds while passing through them.

Q, I've found my copy of 1.0.9. Do you still want it, given the info others have volunteered here?

Thanks for the offer, I guess there's no need though. If you want to and have the time, however, I wouldn't mind hearing how long it takes Winter Tempest to drain 10 jumps (1,000 units) of energy. Just a ball-park figure, like, is it around 2 seconds or 30?

This post has been edited by Qaanol : 16 August 2008 - 01:35 AM