MissionComputer 4.0a7 introduces the wëap editor

Needing to leave the main window to make a new resource is slowing me down a lot. I'd be glad to have the toolbar back.

I think I've either hit an MC4 A7R2 (happened in A5 as well) bug or a Nova engine limit.

Scenario:
• You have a (Ship) target pic set at 3150
• You have a (Ship) shipyard pic set at 5150
• You have a shän resource of 178 (Which points to rlëD 1150 (Ship) )

= If you try to create a ship in the shďp resource ID: 178, it won't recognize that there is any target or shipyard pics. If you try to import them, they are placed at 3 0 50 and 5 0 50 respectively. This is incorrect, and the problem occurs at shďp resource 178 and up. Up to that point, everything was corresponding nicely.

Additional
Edit: Can someone check to duplicate the problem on their computer.

This post has been edited by Trinix : 14 June 2008 - 02:31 PM

Correction Update:

• The shän and ship resources should have been set to 278 instead of 178. That is why they were not corresponding correctly to the pictures. MC4 is doing excellently btw. Disregard my above post.

@david-arthur, on Jun 15 2008, 04:29 AM, said in MissionComputer 4.0a7 introduces the wëap editor:

I was reading recently a discussion among Linux-types who were dismissing the idea of introducing a Macintosh-style global menu bar, because menus have supposedly been superseded by toolbars anyway, so I didn't want to be contributing to any such trend if it exists.

:laugh:

I'll check out the exit points soon.
(edit) Confirmed. If the weap is set to turret points and the flag is set, it will fire from the closest turret point. If it's set to gun points, it will use the closest gun point. Etc.

This post has been edited by Guy : 14 June 2008 - 04:05 PM

Is is possible to make a toolbar a configuration option so that those who want one can have it and those who don't can leave it off?

Corona falloff has a fading effect for projectiles but the field is only enabled for beams.

Regarding the toolbar, I don't have a particular opinion but perhaps you could put little buttons down the bottom the way some programs like Transmit do.

Man, DA is on top of things!

@guy, on Jun 14 2008, 05:15 PM, said in MissionComputer 4.0a7 introduces the wëap editor:

Corona falloff has a fading effect for projectiles but the field is only enabled for beams.

None of the versions of the Nova Bible at my disposal document this — can you point me to a reference?

Yes: me.

@guy, on Jun 14 2008, 09:15 PM, said in MissionComputer 4.0a7 introduces the wëap editor:

Wait. What?

I had no idea. Can someone elaborate?

With a positive value the shot will fade out at the end of its life, with a negative value the shot will fade in. I think higher = faster fading.

As I said. DA, your reference material is me. The EV resource bible never spelled that out correctly, probably because it was a last-minute feature. It works as Guy says.

@pipeline, on Jun 15 2008, 12:59 AM, said in MissionComputer 4.0a7 introduces the wëap editor:

As I said. DA, your reference material is me. The EV resource bible never spelled that out correctly, probably because it was a last-minute feature. It works as Guy says.

So: For projectile weapons, the Falloff field causes the sprite to fade out. It fades out faster the higher the number is, and fades in if the number is negative. For a sprite that stays constant, the field should be zero. This has no effect on the weapon's actual function, only its graphics.

Is any of this incorrect?

Also, if I recall right, the weapon fades in/out over the first 30 frames of existence.

I recently got myself a G4 Mac running OS X 10.4.11 to replace my aging Windows XP machine that, conveniently for me, broke down with an intermittent power problem that I couldn't solve. <_< I'm investigating the possibility of using MC 4 to continue the development of CTC:C with, and I'm stunned by what a leap forward it is from EVNEW. I'm having a hard time getting used to it all.

So far, in the 20 minutes that I've used it so far, I haven't discovered any obvious bugs, it hasn't crashed once, and I'm impressed by it. My only complaint is that the IDs of the decs and pict resources that a given outfit resource is going to use aren't displayed, but that's all for now. 😄

I notice the Resource Selector has a "Source File" popup menu. How do I get files other than the current one to show up there? The Preferences window says that the files listed in Open Special should show up there, but they don't.

@jacabyte, on Jun 15 2008, 03:44 PM, said in MissionComputer 4.0a7 introduces the wëap editor:

So far, in the 20 minutes that I've used it so far, I haven't discovered any obvious bugs, it hasn't crashed once, and I'm impressed by it. My only complaint is that the IDs of the decs and pict resources that a given outfit resource is going to use aren't displayed, but that's all for now. 😄

I'm glad you like it. 🙂

If you haven't noticed them already, the oütf editor has buttons in the bottom-right which open the relevant dësc and PICT resources. It hadn't occurred to me that any purpose would be served by having them indicate the ID before clicking them, but I can add this if it's something people want.

@lindley, on Jun 15 2008, 04:07 PM, said in MissionComputer 4.0a7 introduces the wëap editor:

I notice the Resource Selector has a "Source File" popup menu. How do I get files other than the current one to show up there? The Preferences window says that the files listed in Open Special should show up there, but they don't.

Making the custom Open Special files show up in the pop-up menu is one of five entries in my list of things that absolutely need to be done. 🙂 Currently, the available sources are only the current file, and the contents of your Nova Files folder (provided that you've specified it in Preferences).

@david-arthur, on Jun 16 2008, 01:58 AM, said in MissionComputer 4.0a7 introduces the wëap editor:

Is any of this incorrect?

All correct :). You may notice Nova actually uses this for some weapons, like fusion pulse and railguns.
Also, Keldor Sarn is right - with a sufficiently high value the shot should just disappear approximately 1 second before the end of its life.

Do the numbers in the field represent any particular measurable unit, or are they arbitrary?

Dunno. Maybe 30/falloff = number of frames it takes to fade out. Eg, with falloff=2 it would begin fading at count-30 and finish fading at count-15. Also note that it doesn't fade out completely, you can still see the shot very faintly.