Increase Maximum

If I can buy 10 bullets normally, and then I buy an increase maximum outfit pointing at the bullets, can I now buy 20? or do I need two increase maximum outfits to do that?

to quote the bible:

The ID number of another outfit item,
(call it "B") whose maximum value is
to be increased. Item B's standard
maximum will be multiplied by the
number of items the player has that
have a ModType of 27 and point to B.
If the player owns no items that
modify the maximum of item B, its
maximum will be unchanged.

The bible is correct. You need two.

Or one that's invisible and one that the player can purchase, if it makes your life easier.

Well the weap that uses the bullets can have a modmax built in, already giving you one.

That seems kinda... weird. Surely it would have been simple enough to make the ammo max equal to M*(n +1 ), where M is the default max and n is the number of ModType 27 outfits you have. That way, if n is zero, you're just getting M*1, or exactly the default max, and there's no need to go fiddling around with IF statements to check what happens when n is zero.

It's actually more useful the way it currently works as it allows you to make it so you can't buy any of the outfit unless you have a modtype 27 outfit, simply by making the outfit's purchase conditions require that you have one of the modtype 27 outfits.

@guy, on Mar 18 2008, 03:15 AM, said in Increase Maximum:

It's actually more useful the way it currently works as it allows you to make it so you can't buy any of the outfit unless you have a modtype 27 outfit, simply by making the outfit's purchase conditions require that you have one of the modtype 27 outfits.

To clarify why this is more useful than any old outfit being the requirement, is that you can't sell the 'increase max' outfit until you sell of what it points to, even if you'd still be under the max without it.

For example:
Say you want to make it so a player needs to buy a 'long-range targeting system' in order to use the 'long-range rocket'.
Without mod max, you'd need to prevent the player from selling the targeting system while they have rockets.
Since there is no test condition to control whether or not an item can be sold, you have to make it unsellable, and make a separate outfit that the player 'buys' to get rid of the targeting system. This removal outfit uses the available test expression to check for the rockets.

With mod max, you make the targeting system mod max the rockets, ensuring that the player can't sell it while they have any rockets.

Wait, what are you saying?

Say the maximum number of Dress Shirts is 10, and I buy 7. Then I buy a Package Of Coat Hangers, which has a ModMax for Dress Shirt. Now I can't sell the Package Of Coat Hangers until I sell all the Dress Shirts?

Now what if I buy a second Package Of Coat Hanger, and a total of 14 Dress Shirts. If I want to sell one Package Of Coat Hangers, do I need to sell 4 Dress Shirts or all 14 first?

Correct

That is very useful. Thank you.

Hmmm. Ok, a slight correction.

For cases of multiple mod max items, you can sell them as long as the number left won't cause an item to be overloaded.
However, you can't sell the last mod max until you have 0 of the items it points to.

So, if you have a shirt that has a maximum of 2, and you have 1 coat hanger, your max shirts is still 2.

If you have 1 shirt and 1 coat hanger, mathematically, you should be able to sell the coat hanger as you'd still be under the max. But you actually can't, and this is very useful.

@desprez, on Mar 18 2008, 11:03 PM, said in Increase Maximum:

Hmmm. Ok, a slight correction.

For cases of multiple mod max items, you can sell them as long as the number left won't cause an item to be overloaded.
However, you can't sell the last mod max until you have 0 of the items it points to.

So, if you have a shirt that has a maximum of 2, and you have 1 coat hanger, your max shirts is still 2.

If you have 1 shirt and 1 coat hanger, mathematically, you should be able to sell the coat hanger as you'd still be under the max. But you actually can't, and this is very useful.

Hmm never knew that...
But it makes the missiles racks in 3000 a tad more sophisticated...
without having to use the "hardpoint tokens" in another thread.

@-redchigh-, on Mar 20 2008, 11:18 AM, said in Increase Maximum:

Hmm never knew that...
But it makes the missiles racks in 3000 a tad more sophisticated...
without having to use the "hardpoint tokens" in another thread.

What thread would that be?