Another Hyperspace-Stopping Question

Like Star Wars' Interdictor class Star Destroyers

I was just sitting and thinking (and reading) on the forums today, and an idea came up: there are ways to stop hyperspace from being possible, but is it possible to have a ship "project" an invisible no-hyperspace-for-you field?

The only thing I can think of is an invisible turreted constantly-spinning (field, not beam here) tractor beam on the enemy ship, and it somehow is required to use it when it has it, no questions asked.

What I'm thinking is something like the concept of the Interdictor class Star Destroyers found in various bits of the Star Wars Expanded Universe, (as well as not-really brought up in Return of the Jedi, stopping them from being able to escape the Death Star battle over Endor (the Victory class Star Destroyer that was Vader's toy had a similar ability, so I've read...I think)) which can project a hyperspace-cancelling "gravity shadow" (all space objects have a gravity "shadow" in hyperspace in the SW universe) field-type-thing, then turn it off when the battle is over and they want to leave.

So yeah. I'm a Star Wars geek and just proved it in one forum post. I get way too into the technology, which is part of why I'd love to be able to do this.

Perhaps I should read up on this some more, and do some more heavy thinking. But not anymore on Christmas.

Merry Christmas (if you celebrate it)!

-Dash

I'm pretty sure that there's no way of doing this with ships/outfits, but you can script it with bits. Say there's a particular mission or mission set during which the hyperspace nullifier shows up. You can simply replace the system it takes place in with a new version of the system with no hyperspace links. If the ships in the system are enemies of the interdictor, they won't leave until it's dead (unless they run I guess, but you can make ships that won't run (or have <100 fuel) if you want to spend the extra effort). For the final added effect, you could also scrip the mission so that when you destroy the interdictor, the system with hyperlanes re-activates and the player is moved to that system using the nxxx command. The only problem is that the system will reset, so the ships will all reappear. As far as I know, this is as close as you can get to that type of behavior.

Thank you. This is more than helpful. I think I could get this to work. All I would have to do is require the player to land on the planet in said "switched" system upon completing the mission, and then hyperspace would be re-enabled when they took off again, due to switching the bits back. That would work, right?

Thanks for the input, I will definitely try this and see what I can do with it.

-Dash

@dash_merc, on Dec 25 2007, 04:27 AM, said in Another Hyperspace-Stopping Question:

I was just sitting and thinking (and reading) on the forums today, and an idea came up: there are ways to stop hyperspace from being possible, but is it possible to have a ship "project" an invisible no-hyperspace-for-you field?

The only thing I can think of is an invisible turreted constantly-spinning (field, not beam here) tractor beam on the enemy ship, and it somehow is required to use it when it has it, no questions asked.

You could always make it a primary weapon with incredibly long range and create an invisible ship thats its enemy... then it fill fire at the invisible ship, or another enemy...... but with inaccuracy of 360 will go in every direction, hitting everything.

@dash_merc, on Dec 26 2007, 07:59 PM, said in Another Hyperspace-Stopping Question:

Thank you. This is more than helpful. I think I could get this to work. All I would have to do is require the player to land on the planet in said "switched" system upon completing the mission, and then hyperspace would be re-enabled when they took off again, due to switching the bits back. That would work, right?

Thanks for the input, I will definitely try this and see what I can do with it.

-Dash

Yup, that works. You can also make the player switch systems when they destroy the ship by putting the nxxx string into the "OnShipDone" field to have hyperspace re-enabled as soon as the ship is destroyed, but that makes the ships in the system reset and looks a little weird.