Freespace ship graphics please?

can someone help me?

So I was playing Freespace 2 (Love it!) and then I was thinking hey I haven't played Nova for a while... so I made a new pilot, did the polaris string, got me a raven and I noticed that the raven looked a LOT like the Sathanis!!! Being a novice modder, this sparked a desire in me to have Freespace ships in Nova!!

If anyone could 1)make the graphics for some ships or 2) tell me how to do that, I would be very glad and might start making a TC or something with them....

(Actually if someone is bored and wants to make just the graphics for the Sathanis that would be amazing too)

This post has been edited by Iggyzor : 04 November 2007 - 03:33 PM

That is an interesting idea. Are you serious about wanting to make a TC? I'd warn you that it is very, very hard. I'm occupied at the moment, otherwise I might have been willing to help with the graphics.

Well I probably wouldn't start off with a TC as, like I said, I am just a novice modder... but I might get around to it in a while (after I actually release some mods)

I would use the Sathanis in a mod I am currently working on (cause it's the best ship ever).

Hey, who knows, I might "upgrade" my favorite mod into a freespace TC! I definatly would have to figure out how to make ships/planet models on my own first. One problem I can think of right off the bat, I would be obliged to make hyperspace much, much more freespace-like, which I have NO IDEA how to do.

I'll think about it!

Oh, does anyone have a link to a good tutorial on making ships like this?

thanks

OK, tutorial. I'll write it here. My graphics suck, but here we go:

1. Find a program that you like and can use. I recomend Sketchup or Wings3D. Wings doesn't have textures and isn't as precise, but is a little bit faster and easier.
2. Get some idea of what you want to make. Sounds like you already know, so skip this.
3. Make it.
4. If you are in wings, then bevel all the faces a small amount, and/or smooth some parts of your model.
5. Color/texture it.
6. Export it.

Oh jeez that would be hard!

Is there any way I could get it in there with just pictures of the ship? probably not.... hmm...

Nobody said plug-in making is easy. Every aspect of it can be classified as hard.

To be honest, I've thought about a Freespace TC, but I'm not really a developer and dislike committing to a project that I'm not certain that I could finish. Certain aspects of a Freespace TC might be easier done then some others. For instance, a map of systems and links already exists, as do tables documenting ship strength and weapon strength (although I'm not sure how these would translate to Nova). I think that wormholes (or is it hypergates?) could be used to simulate jump nodes...

I think that the hardest part would be creating individual subsystems and weapons that can be targeted and destroyed. I'm not sure if this is possible in Nova.

I think it's been tried, and the answer is no, from what I recall.

Well if the TC fell through, I would probably cobble together some kind of plug-in with the stuff I already made, so I'm not too worried about that.

Wormholes is a GREAT idea! Maybe color them a different color, but from what I know jump nodes don't actually HAVE a color, so I might just leave it blue (sorta looks like a large ship jumping in/out, no?)

hmm subsystems would be a challenge... maybe something with different ships linked together? no maybe not.

Actually I think the hardest part would be to get the individual ships to do what they're supposed to do and not just land or jump out or whatever (like how to stop the Sathanis from just blasting your fighter out of the air with its main beams?)

Oh yeah and ships would be hard. But I'm working on the Sathanis (wow it's really slow work). Missions/descs I would basically take from the actual FS2 game, so that would be simple. And music maybe, have to work on that. Also, the scale of the ships would have to be manipulated a little (as the Sathanis would take up just about the entire screen compared to a fighter)

Any input would be awesome.