Announcing 'Points of Origin' (tentative title)

Now that I've demonstrated my ability to produce a TC, I've decided to announce my next project before it's half-way finished.

Points of Origin is set in the very beginning of human space-flight. Only a few slow ships are available and all are limited to the solar system. As time goes on, new technological advances and contacts with alien races will cause new ships and outfits to appear. The solar system will add colonies and existing colonies will expand. The player will play a key role in most events. You'll even get to lead a colony ship to found Earth's first extra-solar colony (and possibly others as well). I'm also thinking about putting in gimmicks like allowing the player to buy and develop a whole system. Diplomacy and war will often involve choices that the player makes. I want to have a more interactive experience then Nova did. We'll see how that goes.

I'm going to try to keep the size of PoO down, so it won't be a highly ambitious project. If you're interested in helping out, let me know. I like doing ships, outfits, and systems, but I hate doing missions and writing.

Sounds cool. I'll get back to you in a second, I need to finish the dishes :rolleyes:

Sounds awesome. Great story telling potential, even if you don't like writing. 😛

@shlimazel, on Oct 25 2007, 11:49 AM, said in Announcing 'Points of Origin' (tentative title):

...I'll get back to you in a second, I need to finish the dishes

/facepalm

/facepalm

I don't want to know.

So, to the important part. What kind of weapons do we have? No shield technology, so maybe just missiles and projectiles right? Maybe E-mag guns that fire electromagnetic bursts to disable ships?

Also, I'd advise you to think about your TC name. PoO is an unfortunate choice for an acronym, I think.

This post has been edited by Shlimazel : 25 October 2007 - 02:36 PM

There are shields, they just don't recharge. There are weak lasers and missiles.

I didn't even notice that about the acronym until you mentioned it. Guess that just means that your mind is dirtier then mine.

@shlimazel, on Oct 25 2007, 03:35 PM, said in Announcing 'Points of Origin' (tentative title):

Also, I'd advise you to think about your TC name. PoO is an unfortunate choice for an acronym, I think.

Yeaaaah! PoO for Nova!!

Actually, I think the unabbreviated title is quite nice. Try to discourage other people from using the acronym, then surprise us with scatological easter eggs. :laugh:

@dr--trowel, on Oct 25 2007, 12:55 PM, said in Announcing 'Points of Origin' (tentative title):

Yeaaaah! PoO for Nova!!

Actually, I think the unabbreviated title is quite nice. Try to discourage other people from using the acronym, then surprise us with scatological easter eggs. :laugh:

Not a bad idea :laugh:

Wait, Ashen Galaxy has been released?

No, but it's in beta and all bugs seem to have been excised.

@dr--trowel, on Oct 25 2007, 12:55 PM, said in Announcing 'Points of Origin' (tentative title):

Yeaaaah! PoO for Nova!!

This made me laugh.

Ashen Galaxy is almost ready?! Man, let's see, things I NOW have to try out for Nova:

Nebula: DOA and Operation High Tide
Ashen Galaxy
Kaoz's weapons plug (when he finishes it: there's a lot more that needs to be done)

...and that's all I can think of at the moment.

You could call it Origins Point.

@warlord-mike, on Oct 25 2007, 06:25 PM, said in Announcing 'Points of Origin' (tentative title):

This made me laugh.

Ashen Galaxy is almost ready?! Man, let's see, things I NOW have to try out for Nova:

Nebula: DOA and Operation High Tide
Ashen Galaxy
Kaoz's weapons plug (when he finishes it: there's a lot more that needs to be done)

...and that's all I can think of at the moment.

You forgot CTC (We're just waiting on graphics, and if they take long enough, there might be a big unanounced addition to the main scenario - but it will use nova graphics)
You also forgot PlugPackv18 (now in beta testing). The length of the test will vary, as I have no idea how much new stuff Terek'e'ban has planned out to test. You should know, your a tester.

This post has been edited by LNSU : 25 October 2007 - 09:21 PM

@lnsu, on Oct 25 2007, 07:20 PM, said in Announcing 'Points of Origin' (tentative title):

You forgot CTC (We're just waiting on graphics, and if they take long enough, there might be a big unanounced addition to the main scenario - but it will use nova graphics)
You also forgot PlugPackv18 (now in beta testing). The length of the test will vary, as I have no idea how much new stuff Terek'e'ban has planned out to test. You should know, your a tester.

Ah yes, I forgot I was...not. 😛

LNSU, I was SPECIFICALLY trying to NOT give that detail away...<_<

Well people, yes, it's official. PP18 is in beta testing, though I'm sure Terek would rather we didn't mention it...

@lnsu, on Oct 25 2007, 10:20 PM, said in Announcing 'Points of Origin' (tentative title):

We're just waiting on graphics

Isn't that a lot like Bungie's excuse for releasing Marathon several months late? "We're still waiting on the boxes..."

If you have some 50 odd outfits, the menu interface, the dialogue boxes, and energy weapon sprites just laying around, feel free to make it a fake excuse.

By the way, I'm still waiting on the latter two from you. How are they coming?

They're coming. I have over half of them done. I might see if I can pull some time today or tomorrow and get 'em all cranked out, but today I'm going to the apple store for Leopard's release.

I'm not going to upgrade to Leopard, last time I upgraded I couldn't play EVo. I'm fwightened!

But, no. Just not interested, myself.

I have laid all the foundation for the beginning. Now I should do missions. I hate doing missions. Expect a severe lack of progress.