Any Sound Editors Out There?

I've managed to get by in Anathema by mostly recycling old sounds, but I'm stuck now. I need one beam weapon sound for the primary weapon of the Myrmidon. Unfortunately, I have just as much skill with sound editing as I have with 2d editing (read: none), so I'm currently making due with the Particle Beam sound effect from EVC. Which just isn't cutting it.

The question is: does anybody here know how to make sound effects like that? And if so, would they care to contribute one? Or should I just I just do something like blow my nose into my microphone and try to soundgoo it up?

Like I said in Josh's topic about his TC, I've had much fun with a simple microphone and the computer's recorder. Then I invert, echo, speed up or slow down, cut and mess with the volume to my hearts content and it sometimes produces interesting sounds. All that is done with the basic Windows recorder, which Mac people should also have some sort of counterpart.

For both Windows and Mac, I recommend Audacity. It is a freeware sound recorder/editor with lots of transformation options. In fact, maybe I will try to create a sound for you.

@archon, on Sep 17 2007, 08:21 PM, said in Any Sound Editors Out There?:

Or should I just I just do something like blow my nose into my microphone and try to soundgoo it up?

How can you even ask that? Of course you should blow your nose into your microphone and try to soundgoo it up!!!! The only reason not to blow your nose into your microphone and try to soundgoo it up is that, if I ever finalize the "- head cold detected -" variant of my Clown Head Cruiser, my work will seem derivative. And at this point, waiting for me to finish that would be like sitting around waiting for the second coming... or the Messiah... or Maitreya... or Godot. It just wouldn't be a productive way to spend your life. Do it!

And if you need practical guidance on sound software usage (not on how to generate specific sounds, I'm afraid), then check out the Audio Guide on Guy's site. If you want a more laser-like starting point for your "sound-gooing," someone recently pointed out Findsounds.com. It's fun to play with....

Thank you good doctor! It's funny you said that too Geek, because I'd just found that same application.

Speaking of blowing your nose into the mic, I used to play World of Warcraft and used Ventrillo to talk to my guildies, with push-to-talk active so that I wouldn't cough into the mic and have it go off or anything unseemly like that.

Well, one day I sneezed really, really loud. And I flinched and hit push-to-talk right at the critical moment too. After about 10 seconds of people screaming that their ears were bleeding, one person said, "I think that was Lyoncet sneezing," (that being my name in WoW). I was highly embarrassed.

And oh my freakin god how's this sound for a weapon that rips apart the fabric of space? I'll have to shorten it because it's not a burst fire weapon, but still!

Long as we're on the subject, I once heard from some tech magazine that the sound for the laser blasts from the AT-ATs in Star Wars was the sound of a bike chain falling on the ground digitally enhanced.

This post has been edited by Archon : 17 September 2007 - 08:00 PM

I have four beam sounds now. I will upload them soon

EDIT: Too big. Can I email you? Hey, that sound of your seems to have jumped out of Star Trek, the original series.

This post has been edited by Geek : 17 September 2007 - 08:02 PM

Oh, sure thing Geek! bmartin2009@gmail.com

That was really quick! This guy's a pro!

Hmm.. Yahoo won't let me upload them... do you use a Mac? If not, I'll download Plugin Archiver quickly.

I do indeed use a Mac.

I've found MegaUpload to be very nice for my uploading necessities as well.

I sent them. I decreased the quality to shrink the files, but they still sound good. I can now post them here, for everyone to try out, if you want.

This post has been edited by Geek : 17 September 2007 - 08:36 PM

Go ahead and post them! They're yours, after all! 😉

I actually made one that I like for this weapon, since it's a low, reverberating, buzzing, visceral sound, but I'll hold onto yours if that's cool with you.

Do whatever you wish with mine. However, if you decide not to use any, I reserve the right to offer them to any TC maker I'm helping. I can already think of a good place for at least one of them...

Here they are, in MP3 format:

Pfft, I don't have any claim over those. Plus, I don't think I'll need any more; pretty much everything except for the missions are already programmed in for Chapter 3 already.

Thanks for giving me dibs though! :laugh:

Dude, I got dibs on the second one! Yay, now the Mertilizer Beam has its own sound, instead of looping that one other one...

Odd, I tried uploading and EVNEW gave me this:

Error: Sound file "C:\Program Files\EV Nova\mertilizer beam.php" does not begin with RIFF chunk!

What's a RIFF chunk? Like chocolate chunk cookies?

Easy now, Zapp. Say please, and promise to include my name in the credits, and add me a përs resource. If you do that, I'll send you the .snd of that, which should fit in your plug better. 😛

Edit: I'll even put it into a .rez file for you, if you meet my demands....

I'm mostly kidding, but I wouldn't mind some credit...

This post has been edited by Geek : 17 September 2007 - 09:35 PM

Geek: The Wildcat Fighter that has Uber speed and 20 guns and leet haxes and on and on and on. Please. And your name will be in the credits. Umm... I'll just make a note about that, I'm not around to the credits...

You have it.

Just don't be upset if the sound is heard in another future TC. I had plans for that sound, but you can use it. I will PM you a .rez file.

EDIT: Coming soon... 4 MORE sounds

This post has been edited by Geek : 17 September 2007 - 10:28 PM

Enjoy.

I think I might make my own topic for this, and move my files into it...

This post has been edited by Geek : 17 September 2007 - 10:39 PM