A small question about pers resources.

Does the Appears in: All Systems option in the pers resource actually work? I ask because it has you set which pers's appear in a given system in the syst resource.

After some testing, the answer would appear to be 'NO.'

Well, I don't think you can just say No. I'm pretty sure that it gives them a very low chance of appearing. I think most of the ATMOS përs have that set, and you rarely see them.

Really? Hmm, that's interesting. That would be a good way to make the Master Chief appear randomly.....

Yeah, what Cosmic said. I'm just trying to get my post count to 1,000 before he does 😉

Hey, 201st post!!

@zapp, on Sep 10 2007, 02:43 PM, said in A small question about pers resources.:

Yeah, what Cosmic said. I'm just trying to get my post count to 1,000 before he does 😉

LOL. I'm at 11.92 posts per day, and climbing!

I'm actually at 1 per day because of a large period of inactivity between when I first joined the boards and now. When I lost interest in EVN collective gasp

So you're giving in to spam? 😛

Anyways, yeah, all the pers have very low chance of appearing, roughly 5% I think... But of course, missions and systems ressources can be edited to make them appear more often, or with a full 100% chance... but you knew that eh?

Oh and I think I remember reading somewhere that the more pers you have that randomly spawns, the less chance you will see any given one, because there's 5% chance for one pers to appear, not 5% for every pers.

I think it's 4%. You can increase it by duplicating the pers resource (the engine supposedly handles this correctly).

But then you could kill it multiple times... :unsure: Besides, it would only increase the odds of that one pers to appear instead of another one, not increase the odds of one pers appearing at all...

Oh and remember when testing that on an existing pilot, new pers start out as dead.

Yeah, I said 'supposedly', meaning I don't know for sure whether or not you can kill it multiple times but 'supposedly' the engine is smart enough to treat duplicates as just one pers with a higher chance. I am highly suspicious as to whether it's true or not.
As for duplicates not changing the odds, I'm really not sure about that either. I do recall discussions about it but they way you put it is saying you'll never see more than one pers in a system (without forcing them to appear) but that sounds unlikely. If it was 4% for each pers and you had, say, 20 perses able to appear in a specific system then you'd have roughly a 56% chance of one or more appearing, which seems fairly reasonable.

This post has been edited by Guy : 10 September 2007 - 06:17 PM

So huh, pretty much all we figured out is that if you want good control over pers appearance, set in the syst's resource. 😛

You seem to be assuming that the engine is smart and makes sense, Guy 😄

What zapp said. I'm just trying to get my post count to 1,000 posts before he does. 😉 </spam>

Okay, I tried to test some things but couldn't get perses to show up at all without forcing them to :mellow:

Yeah, I wanted to have a pers which would offer a mission at one point. It wouldn't appear, even when I set it to appear 100% of the time. Why? Then I remembered that I'd read that you need to restart your pilot to get pers's to work, and then I was good to go 😉

Hehe. I've had that problem several times while working on Nebula. I'll be trying to figure out why something doesn't work and then I'l start a new pilot and it'l be fine.

Yeah, I've had that happen too. 😉

Okay, I tried to test some things but couldn't get perses to show up at all without forcing them to

Huh, that's odd. I have yet to add any pers's that work using Appears In, but I'll do extensive testing when I do and I'll tell you people what I turn up.

@shlimazel, on Sep 11 2007, 03:19 PM, said in A small question about pers resources.:

Yeah, I've had that happen too. 😉
Huh, that's odd. I have yet to add any pers's that work using Appears In, but I'll do extensive testing when I do and I'll tell you people what I turn up.

Don't you mean AppearsOn? I haven't messed around too much with them, but it seems like that would be a more likely field.