No plugin updates in two months

Download two graphic imrovement plugins inside!

I noticed that the last plugin posted on the add ons page was uploaded on October 10, 2006. It is December 6, 2006 now, so I can only wonder when a new batch will be posted?

I am asking this because I have submitted a set of shield bubble plugins, and am going to submit a total explosion revamp plugin when it is completed. I submitted my 3d shield bubble file on the tuesday before Thanksgiving, only to await its postage over two weeks later. (just FYI (to avoid flaming): the 3d shield bubbles that I made use absolutely nothing from any other shield bubble plugin previously made. It's actually my work.)

Also, is there an alternate plugin download site (one that hosts more than a small group) available?

Btw, here are links to my plugs:
Shield Bubbles
Explosion Revamp (Last Updated Dec. 10, 2006)

This post has been edited by Dark Revenant : 10 December 2006 - 03:00 PM

Not sure what's going on with the plug-in page (except that Pipeline, who moderates the page, is extremely busy and was recently married), but I know that individual uploads must be smaller than 100kb, although all your uploads can total 1000kb.

Darn. Some of the elements of my plugin are more than 100kb, so you would be missing some of the races' sheilds.

You could, however, break it into several smaller plug-ins, and post them one at a time.
And, indeed, Pipeline (Dafydd) is in genneral, quite buisy.

Those limits are for attachments to posts on the forums here, not the addons pages. The limit there is about 12MB.

BTW, I don't know where you got the idea that you're supposed to include both a mac and pc version of your plug but this is incorrect. Plugs can be easily converted either way and including two copies serves no purpose except to double the size of the download.

I thought the add-ons server had an upload limit of 50 MB?

I heard 12 Mb too

(which is why ARPIA2 will probably be on the add-ons page, but not on the ASW server, if Dave can do that :p)

Posting the explosion revamp may be difficult, as the file may exceed 4mb soon. There are new FAE small/med/large explosions, a new ship breakup explosion, soon to be a new hellhound explosion, and four (soon to be five, mabey eight) new ship explosions. Each explosion is at the default 30fps framerate, so the large 40 frame explosions (got forbid the huge 60 or 70 frame explosions) can get very large in filesize. However, they are an improvement over the generic (and resource wasteful with those ugly pepper-like blasts - hey, only a limited amount of explosions can be happening at the same time) explosions.

Hm, looking forward to it. 🙂

By the way, I downloaded your shield bubbles 1.0.7, uncompressed it with Stuffit and ended up with a 0k extensionless file. I'm absolutely sure I un-stuffed it by the book, I'm clueless as to why it did what it did. Could you .zip a file and post on the boards. (Assuming it's under 100k)

@jacabyte, on Dec 7 2006, 03:23 PM, said in No plugin updates in two months:

Hm, looking forward to it. 🙂

By the way, I downloaded your shield bubbles 1.0.7, uncompressed it with Stuffit and ended up with a 0k extensionless file. I'm absolutely sure I un-stuffed it by the book, I'm clueless as to why it did what it did. Could you .zip a file and post on the boards. (Assuming it's under 100k)

I don't have a shield bubbles 1.0.7. Only something called "Mega 3d Shield Bubbles" or something similar to that. Mine hasn't been posted on the add-ons page yet. Unfortunately, some of the files are too big to post on the forums, so I await an update. However, with some extra editing, I might be able to cram it into the boards until then.

Alright. Here's the group of files:

Some shields may have slightly jagged lines because I used picts for these. Also, there may be some faint grid-like artifacts on some of the shields, but they usually add to the effect. The polaris shields are very bright and obvious, especially on the Raven. This is meant to symbolize that their ships (and shields) are very powerful and advanced. However, I admit that the effect was rather overdone.

This post has been edited by Dark Revenant : 08 December 2006 - 06:15 PM

Your plugins won't be able to be extracted by windows users, due to the way OS X's archive function works. Go to the link in my sig and get Plugin Archiver to properly archive your plugins 🙂

This post has been edited by Guy : 08 December 2006 - 01:52 AM

My version of stuffit deluxe stopped working, so that's why I reverted to that. Thank's for the link, though.

Ha, I'm glad to hear that - Please don't ever use StuffIt for plugins 🙂
If the plug you submitted to the addons also used the OS X zip feature you should resubmit it in the proper format (and don't include a pre-converted windows version).

This post has been edited by Guy : 08 December 2006 - 05:13 PM

Edit: dang! It won't work this time. I'l need an actual host for this.

This post has been edited by Dark Revenant : 08 December 2006 - 06:19 PM

Those shield bubbles are cool, but I don't really like the idea of the colors matching the governments. Realistically, I personally don't think the scientists who made the shields wouldn't spend all of that extra work to find a way to emit certain colors of light from the shield.

Perhaps you could also release a version that uses your independent shield bubbles for all of the governments, for picky people like me?

@nil-kimas, on Dec 8 2006, 03:17 PM, said in No plugin updates in two months:

Perhaps you could also release a version that uses your independent shield bubbles for all of the governments, for picky people like me?

I don't have the time, as I am already working on a plugin and have some school work to do. However, it would be easy for you to go into the plugin file and grayscale all of the shields.

Ok, here's a download link. I couldn't find the readme, but as long as you include the shield masks file, it should work perfectly.

CLICK HERE

Let me know if you like it or hate it.

This post has been edited by Dark Revenant : 08 December 2006 - 06:35 PM

I would, but I'm not in a position to view them :rolleyes:

The light source for all the ships comes from the upper left corner of the screen. (Relative to that, in any case.) So all your shield sprites should be rotated 90 degrees counter clockwise. Very pretty shields, it's just that it doesn't look quite right when it looks like the light is coming from the upper right corner. 😉

@guy, on Dec 8 2006, 03:42 PM, said in No plugin updates in two months:

I would, but I'm not in a position to view them :rolleyes:

They are archived with the plugin archiver in your signature. You should be able to use them.

And, about the lighting, I may not be able to get there for a while, but I will eventually find the will to change every single one.

I noticed that my explosion revamp plugin freaking tripled in size when I added the huge ship explosion (used on the leviathan, aurouran carrier, cambrian, and raven) that has 48 frames that are 450px450p each. Holy. Crap. I'm really worried that my file won't be within the size limit! 4.4mb all the way to 13.8mb is scary.

Also, is it alright that I include the ship varients plugin in my plugin? I have to edit all of the ship resources, so I thought that it would be OK if I did.

This post has been edited by Dark Revenant : 08 December 2006 - 08:12 PM