SOLVED Weapon Sprite Needs

@orcaloverbri9, on Nov 9 2006, 04:30 PM, said in SOLVED Weapon Sprite Needs:

EVNEW uses QuickTime, and so does Nova.

QuickTime supports PNG.

EVNEW and Nova support PNG.

End of story.

Mission Computer refuses to import it. I have also never heard of a .png used in any of the resources. I'm assuming EVNew converts it to PICT or one of the rle formats.

Just had to chip in here...

How do you think people create images for their plugins? First they create the image, save it as png (or any other format really but png is usually best. for the purposes of discussion though the format is irrelevant - Nova can't use a PICT file any more than it can use a PNG file) and then import it into their plugin via their tool of choice. How does this work? Well obviously, the plugin editors can't simply 'open' the image file. In EVNEW you must first create a new PICT resource and then import the image into that resource. I'm not entirely sure how Mission Computer works but I think it's similar - you create a new PICT resource and then copy/paste the image into it.

Back to what orca said, it's probably worth explaining what a PICT really is. It is not an image format. It is merely a wrapper for an image which can in fact be any format supported by QuickTime, including png. However, usually when you import an image into a plugin it just uses some default format, ignoring the format of the source. This is good because Win Nova actually can't use PICTs which are in any other format, as demonstrated by the original rEV release whose PICTs were in png format.

Back to your plugin, why exactly do you want an invisible sprite the size of a med blaster? Surely the size would be irrelevant if it was invisible. If you want to be as efficient as possible just make the spin reference an existing PICT but give it dimensions of 0x0.

This post has been edited by Guy : 10 November 2006 - 04:38 PM

@guy, on Nov 10 2006, 03:31 PM, said in SOLVED Weapon Sprite Needs:

Back to your plugin, why exactly do you want an invisible sprite the size of a med blaster? Surely the size would be irrelevant if it was invisible. If you want to be as efficient as possible just make the spin reference an existing PICT but give it dimensions of 0x0.

Not going to say much, but one of the used was for an unseen projectile with an equivalent hit area striking the player and/or other ships. To say more I would have to give up more information than I am willing to at this moment.

Hm. I can change sprite dimensions to 0x0 for an existing spin (that points to an existing rleD) in either MissionComputer or Rezilla Custom, and Nova will use the sprite. If I then reopen the 0x0 spin in MC, however, MC does this:Attached File Picture_1.png (27.67K)
Number of downloads: 33.
Do others see the same?

Yeah, I've had that too. Though you can't change dimensions of RLEs like that, only PICTs.