@phoebus-xebdaz, on Oct 23 2006, 11:08 PM, said in Why a TC:
Why must developers so often announce TCs?
1. creative liscence. the concept of haveing ine's one world storys, caricters, and all ships.
2. diffrent options. nova is ships in space. but a tc can be anything (Almost)
3. overflowing creativity. some people have that much to say.
**I can only assume that your topic title is a misnomer; you seem to be more interested in why it is that developers spend so much time in hyping and announcing their TCs rather than the discussion of why they choose to develop TCs versus expander plug-ins. Assuming the first is true;
4. To generate hype for a project that has little or no substantial work done on it in the hopes of receiving praise and encouragement from others
5. To avoid doing actual work on the TC. Other examples of this are writing preambles, back stories, web stories, and designing fancy web sites that offer little substance
6. Excitement over ideas that will make for a great gaming experience; whether or not they actually develop these ideas is another story
7. To find others to join in a team in the hopes of making the task less daunting
8. To recieve feedback on their ideas
Assuming the second is true;
4. Because it is often difficult to expand upon something that is limited in scope and entirely the creation of someone else
5. The EVN universe is far more compact and dense than previous games. In creative terms it is much more difficult to walk around in it without bumping elbows with pre-existing ideas or stories.
6. TCs are more exciting to the average game player. Everyone would love to see a definitive add-on for EVN, an expansion plug onto each of the various strings, but even more people like to discover new universes, delving into new ideas
7. Flashier graphic styles are characteristic of TCs because there are no preconceived styles/models or general structural standards for ships, planets and stations in a unique universe. It'd be difficult continuity wise to have a ship like the Voinian Dreadnought floating around fighting for the Rebels or a UE fighter-like vehicle blasting away for the Aliens in EV.
Just a few ideas. It's an interesting discussion and certainly worthy of further exploration, regardless of which you intended as the original topic.