Bryce EV Developer Resources

Tips, Techniques, Ideas, Methods, etc.

Ok so I've had Bryce 5 for awhile now and I recently downloaded Polycon, when I read that all the models were made in Bryce 4 I nearly wet my pants because I was sure bryce 5 could never make a ship model. But now that I know its possible are there any things that would help me? Like camera positions or lighting or modeling. So if you use Bryce, and have a trick please tell we would like to know.

Useful Links:

http://www.brycetech.com - A nice site with a bunch of tutorials.

Texturing
http://www.psionic3d...s/shiphull.html - Tutorial on making textures in photoshop.
http://www.brycetech.../spaceship.html - Tutorial on Basic Texturing spaceships.
http://www.brycetech.../textures1.html - A little more advanced tutorial on texturing.

More to Come...

This post has been edited by ibob : 23 June 2006 - 12:23 PM

Get very good at knowing the limitations of your program. Good Bryce ships should be able to impress while still keeping that blocky Bryce style, or use imported objects from a modelling-only program like Wings3D. Learn how to make your workflow as efficient as possible, get very good at quickly rotating/scaling/texturing objects, and you also better learn how to set up a spin.

Bryce is so confusing that I even use Mechanisto for landscapes.

Mech? Bryce isn't that bad, but how do you use mech for landscapes?

@ibob, on Jun 23 2006, 07:49 PM, said in Bryce EV Developer Resources:

Bryce isn't that bad, but how do you use mech for landscapes?

See for yourself.

Slight Noobish question here. But how do you make sprites in Bryce?

Do you have a model?

And if you're on a mac its much easier, just make an animation of your model rotating 360ลŸ then send it to Sprites from w00tWare http://w00tware.ev-nova.net/ I don't know how to do this on a PC though.

Yeah I've got a model, and im on a mac. ๐Ÿ™‚ Could you give me some info regarding camera position & lighting? I've never made a sprite in any program before, so this should be interesting!

I havent used Bryce for a Sprite only Mech, so I can't really help you here.

@floop, on Jul 2 2006, 12:51 PM, said in Bryce EV Developer Resources:

Yeah I've got a model, and im on a mac. ๐Ÿ™‚ Could you give me some info regarding camera position & lighting? I've never made a sprite in any program before, so this should be interesting!

View Postpipeline, on Aug 1 2005, 09:57 PM, said:

Main light: Pure white, 100% brightness -- located at (if looking at ship from Nova perspective going up the screen):

• X = 100 (left 100 units)

• Y = 100 (up 100 units)

• Z = 100 (forward 100 units)

In other words, top-left corner of screen.

You should also turn off any ambient lighting, and add a fill light (pure white, 20-25% brightness) at X = -100 (right 100), Y = 50 (up 50), Z = 0.

All lights should be targeted at the ship (the middle of the scene, coordinates 0, 0, 0)

best always,

Dave @ ATMOS

Cheers, but what about camera position? Coordinates would be awesome ๐Ÿ™‚

@floop, on Jul 11 2006, 12:48 AM, said in Bryce EV Developer Resources:

Cheers, but what about camera position? Coordinates would be awesome ๐Ÿ™‚

I don't know the actual X/Y/Z coordinates, but I do know that the camera angle is 45ยฐ off of vertical. (Ironically, the post I got this information from was from before Nova was released- I've back-calculated from the X/Y compression in the shรคn resources to confirm it, though.)

Given where the shadows fall on the sprites, I would guess that the coordinates are somewhere on the line (0,0,0)-(0,100,-100).

Edwards

I have succesfully rendered and flown a ship (cube) made in bryce... Here are the camera settings I used:
Posted Image
Just make sure you have it switched to the camera view. Not the director view. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Awesome! Thanks ibob & Edwards.

Where could I upload the animation? Any one?

This post has been edited by ibob : 13 July 2006 - 05:27 PM

@ibob, on Jul 13 2006, 04:17 PM, said in Bryce EV Developer Resources:

I have succesfully rendered and flown a ship (cube) made in bryce... Here are the camera settings I used:

This is something I've been trying to figure out for some time. Thanks for posting it.

By the way... do you (or anyone) know of where I can get the 4.1 update to Bryce 4 for Windows? I've done a Google search and come up with a bunch of places where you can scarf serial numbers but I'm not interested it that. I've got the full retail version... I just need the 4.1 update.

@zybrogue, on Jul 20 2006, 09:14 PM, said in Bryce EV Developer Resources:

This is something I've been trying to figure out for some time. Thanks for posting it.

By the way... do you (or anyone) know of where I can get the 4.1 update to Bryce 4 for Windows? I've done a Google search and come up with a bunch of places where you can scarf serial numbers but I'm not interested it that. I've got the full retail version... I just need the 4.1 update.

You're welcome ๐Ÿ™‚ . Heh, while we're at it, any one now how to upgrade my Bryce 5.0 to 5.5? I don't think I can be of much help with upgrading software (my windows laptop is just as new as a 2002 laptop :unsure: ).

@ibob, on Jul 21 2006, 01:19 AM, said in Bryce EV Developer Resources:

You're welcome ๐Ÿ™‚ . Heh, while we're at it, any one now how to upgrade my Bryce 5.0 to 5.5? I don't think I can be of much help with upgrading software (my windows laptop is just as new as a 2002 laptop :unsure: ).

I guess you've checked the DAZ website already. Since I don't use Bryce 5, I'm not sure if it can be upgraded to 5.5 with a free update or not. From what I've seen, it looks like a fairly major upgrade.

Yes, I've checked the site and from what I've seen it looks like I would have to pay.