An Interesting Idea for a TC

ATMOS doesn't taste good. I think. I don't know. Dave?

I don't think I've ever not known what a quesadilla is. I think it might have been one of my first actual meals.

sigh I just knew putting the quesadilla in was a mistake...

@orcaloverbri9, on Jul 2 2006, 07:34 PM, said in An Interesting Idea for a TC:

sigh I just knew putting the quesadilla in was a mistake...

For our next trick, we're going to count to ten without thinking of a rabbit. 🙂

Im not sure if the stock scenario already does this, but why have the misn in second person but added to it saying: you thought this to ureself, you say to ureself silenty, you think....stuff like that. That sort of would give the concept of 1st person but it wouldnt require much rewriting.

Uh, no. First person perspective strictly refers to the use of the pronouns "I", "me", "us", "we" et cetera. It's possible to use lines like "I/you/he think/s to my/your/himself" regardless of which perspective you use - that's called viewpoint.

Edit: And the word is "yourself".

This post has been edited by Belthazar : 03 July 2006 - 10:20 PM

Yeah, umm, sixth grade (it wasn't until then that I had a teacher who finally acknowledged the existence of second-person) language arts here.

First person: I, me, my, myself, mine, us, we, our, ourselves, ours, etc.
Second person: You, your, yourself, yours, etc.
Third person: He, him, his, himself, she, her, herself, hers, they, their, them, theirs, etc.

Typically, elements of third person are added to second person writing due to the rather restrictive nature of second person, but it's still second person.

Well, i said it gives the idea of 1st person. It depends on teh way u write it.

BTW: My poor grammer and spelling is due to playing to many internet games.... :laugh:

@orcaloverbri9, on Jul 4 2006, 06:05 AM, said in An Interesting Idea for a TC:

Yeah, umm, sixth grade (it wasn't until then that I had a teacher who finally acknowledged the existence of second-person) language arts here.

Lucky, I'm going to college in August and not a single one of my language teachers ever did admit it existed. I used to always ask...

"Why isn't it called second person?"

"Because its third person."

"Well, then whats second person."

"There is no second person."

"..."

@belthazar, on Jun 30 2006, 05:15 AM, said in An Interesting Idea for a TC:

What's a quesadilla? 🙂 (Honestly, I didn't even think of asking that until you brought it up. Never even heard the word before.)

queˇsaˇdilˇla (Kay-suh-dee-yuh)
n.

A flour tortilla folded in half around a savory filling, as of cheese or beans, then fried or toasted.

@chronodrago, on Jul 5 2006, 01:44 AM, said in An Interesting Idea for a TC:

Well, i said it gives the idea of 1st person. It depends on teh way u write it.

As I said above, no, it doesn't. It merely means the character doing the "he thinks" stuff is the viewpoint character - first person perspective is a completely different cookie. Using the viewpoint character is a standard literary technique, so it's not like you came up with it first anyway.

@edwin-, on Jul 5 2006, 08:16 AM, said in An Interesting Idea for a TC:

queˇsaˇdilˇla (Kay-suh-dee-yuh) (et cetera)

Didn't we already have this conversation?

This post has been edited by Belthazar : 04 July 2006 - 06:48 PM

@orcaloverbri9, on Jul 4 2006, 07:05 AM, said in An Interesting Idea for a TC:

First person: I, me, my, myself, mine, us, we, our, ourselves, ours, etc.
Second person: You, your, yourself, yours, thou, thee, thy, thyself, thine, etc.
Third person: He, him, his, himself, she, her, herself, hers, they, their, them, theirs, etc.

And don't forget the 'it' memes.

@chronodrago, on Jul 4 2006, 11:44 AM, said in An Interesting Idea for a TC:

BTW: My poor grammer and spelling is due to playing to many internet games.... :laugh:

Oh they is, is they?

Josh Tigerheart: Are you serious?

Yes, sadly I am.

Well, I liked the stock scenario's way to tell us about the story. That's second person isn't it? You do this, you do that. Actually,

Spoiler

my project is written in second person

. I like the second person. I like the third, too. I don't like the first much. It gives a false impression of playing your character while, unless you provide the player with a lot of choices, you really don't control that much, story-wise. Therefore I always prefered RPGs that use the second or third person or the silent protagonist's concept over those were you get to pick some choices but nothing important. Worst is when you would get those Yes or No options, but there was a "wrong one" that would end up leading to the other result anyways, so you wouldn't really get a choice... so the first person never made much sense to me in such games.

No excuse, I did quite some gaming myself and while I understand those splitted words and even their use in a fast paced game, you are on a forum. Blaming your inability to type properly on games just means you're being lazy. Though, everyone have their things they are lazy about... I'm sure you can figure out how to type "ureself" correctly.

Also, English isn't even my native language. I still wonder how many natives can't even make out the difference between than and then... I even got an automated official email from some company and they mistook than for then. Why, oh why... sorry if it sounds harsh, but it doesn't look very professionnal. And for programmers and many other things one can do, typing things correctly is important. And many of us are spelling nazis over here anyways 😉

Brief topic breach.

'Than' is a word that some native speakers consider obsolete and its a word debated over whether it is now archaic and should be dropped or not. Other words like that are 'whom' and 'shall'.

But I like those words 😮

Anyways.. back on topic, quesadillas sound pretty tasty.

Okay, I'll stop about now.

I understand game speak while in-game, but else where, for whatever reason, I have a harder time understanding it. Besides, if you think about it, 'urself' is only 2 letters shorter than 'yourself'. I agree with Mumbling Psycho, For whom ever shall deem these words obsolete('than', 'whom', and 'shall'), shall be smacked. 😛

Googling "than" yields 5.16 billion results, while Googling "then" only gets 3.44 billion; so if we have to drop one of them I think "than" stays. Don't even get me started on the prepositional use of "than". I support it.