System Limits

its the proximity delay that gives the spasming negative impact, to by rasing it, the spasms are less often.

No, I'm fairly sure it's not. It's the life. Proximity delay is how before it can fuse. Life is how long it stays on screen. Since you're probably detonating at the end of life, giving it a higher proximity delay than its life ensures in wont collide with anything, save for asteroids, but that's easily taken care of if you make it go over asteroids.

As for giving weapons to spob, you can. You can give it one and only one.

Also, I do believe it will pull you wherever you are. However, the direction might be off if it's too close to "the curtain". Refer to Edwards pic for this. It might work properly or it might act that way: picture. The two pulling effect represent the 2 possibilities of the direction it might pull you towards.

Now, you shouldn't have to use a weapon, unless you want it to damage and/or additionnal pulling effect when you reach a certain range. And I don't recommend putting multiples to simulate the effect of one. I have a hard time believing lianasu's theory that they would cancel out. But you're free to make multiple black holes, though.

@edwards, on Jun 8 2006, 01:49 PM, said in System Limits:

You can see a map of the basic system here.

Nice image. 🙂 Does that ą1500 pixel square mean anything in particular, or is it just there for the purposes of scale?

The entry point is for entering hyper space or the system? Same question for the exit point.

The exit point is exit from the system, and the entry point is entry to the system.

And thats before you slow to normal speed? 'Cause that is what I want to know.

Don't forget, not only does the 2x speed affect the jump entry point, but the mass of the ship itself contributes as well.

I'm sorry, explain that one to me again, please?

Try this: make a ship with 0 speed, and 0 accel. (good maneuver). Give it an afterburner. Using the afterburner, fly out to jump into another system, see how far you are away from the center. Play around with different ship mass, and see what happenns.

@lnsu, on Jun 9 2006, 08:10 AM, said in System Limits:

(Technique for testing Coraxus's idea.)

Your execution's a bit off (afterburners need both Speed and Accel to work), but your theory is sound- it's what I used to get the distance in the first place.

Anyway, ship mass has no effect on jump entry point. I tested with two ships, one with a Mass of 10, and one with a Mass of 1000, and they appeared in exactly the same location in the second system. Also, in a controlled environment, 2x speed has no effect on jump entry point. I suspect that it seems like it does because you exit the jump moving at double the apparent speed of a normal jump, but there is no actual change.

(EDIT) On testing the afterburner to make sure LiAnNaSu's idea wouldn't work, I noticed an interesting thing: The speed you receive after a hyperjump is applied in the direction the ship is facing , not in the direction the hyperjump took place (i.e. if a ship can't turn, and is pointing towards the top of the screen, it will always finish a hyperjump going full speed towards the top of the screen, rather than towards the center of the system). In case you ever wondered why you sometimes miss the planet at the center of a system after a hyperjump, this is probably the reason.

Edwards

This post has been edited by Edwards : 09 June 2006 - 11:42 AM

People, I hope you've all played Maelstrom, didn't you? Well, you know there are vortexes in there. You also know that sometimes (but rarely) you can get what I call "rains" of things (many comets, or many supply canisters). Well, you can also get a rain of vortexes, pulling you towards all directions at the same time. The funny thing is, just like the propulsion system (where if you accelerate enough you always end up going in diagonal), the gravity system for the vortexes is pretty primitive and actually accelerates you in diagonal, with the X component being positive if your X coordinate is below that of the vortex (i.e. if you're left of it), and negative if your X coordinate is above (same for the Y component). The fact space wraps around the edges play no role in this: even if a vortex is close to a border and you're close to the opposite one so it'd be a faster to go through the border, it drags you anyway toward it by the "visible path". The end result is that with a vortex rain, if you have as many vortexes left of you as right of you, and as many above you as below you, they have no influence on you, as their influences nullify themselves.

Now, of course, EVs have much better physics than old Maelstrom, so I don't think that influences would cancel that exactly, however I don't think there would be a second pulling effect (as Mumbling Psycho suggests, in yellow). Therefore I think that when you go beyond 15000 pixels and end up 10000 the other way, the influences will suddenly change, this is something to take into account when designing your "blackhole map".

Anyway this is interesting data, thank you.

@edwards, on Jun 10 2006, 02:23 AM, said in System Limits:

Anyway, ship mass has no effect on jump entry point. ... Also, ... 2x speed has no effect on jump entry point.

Yeah, that's what I thought. Where exactly did you get that idea from, Coraxus? Ship mass only affects the game-time per jump, while 2x speed affects the real-time per jump.

The speed you receive after a hyperjump is applied in the direction the ship is facing , not in the direction the hyperjump took place (i.e. if a ship can't turn, and is pointing towards the top of the screen, it will always finish a hyperjump going full speed towards the top of the screen, rather than towards the center of the system).

That is interesting.

@belthazar, on Jun 9 2006, 07:47 PM, said in System Limits:

Ship mass only affects the game-time per jump

Not true. It also affects recoil and impact from weapons. But I know you knew that. You were just saying that in reference to Hyper-Space jumps, right?

@wonderboy, on Jun 10 2006, 11:50 AM, said in System Limits:

You were just saying that in reference to Hyper-Space jumps, right?

Indeed. Otherwise I would have pointed out that 2x speed makes everything two times faster. Since you're on the subject, ship mass also affects the size of the spot on the radar, the amount of oomph a ship exerts as it blows up, and the mass and price of some outfits.

I would like to point out that pi is irrelevant in this instance, as you are not finding the circumference of area of the circle. Hell, you don't even have to worry about circles, meaning none of this 360 direction crap (actually, it would theoretically need infinite directions). It just loops you when sqrt(x^2+y^2) = r (x and y being x and y coordinates of ship, respectively; r being the radius of the system) . Multiply x and y by -1 and bam, you just looped to the opposite side of a circular system.

@belthazar, on Jun 9 2006, 10:41 PM, said in System Limits:

Indeed. Otherwise I would have pointed out that 2x speed makes everything two times faster. Since you're on the subject, ship mass also affects the size of the spot on the radar, the amount of oomph a ship exerts as it blows up, and the mass and price of some outfits.

According to the nova bible:

DeathDelay The number of frames the ship "disintegrates" before finally
exploding.
0-59 The ship disintegrates for this number of frames and then
disappears in a single fireball.
60+ The ship disintegrates for this number of frames and then
disappears in a huge explosion. The exact size of the
resulting fireball is proportional to the ship's mass. (see
below)

and

Mass The mass of the ship, in tons. This doesn't affect acceleration
or speed at all, but it does affect travel time in hyperspace
and the display on the density scanner. Also, the blast radius
and impact strength when the ship explodes is proportional to
its mass.
1-99 1 day per jump, small blip on density scanner
100-199 2 days per jump, large blip on density scanner
200 and up 3 days per jump, large blip on density scanner

DeathDelay and Mass both have an effect on ship explosions.

This post has been edited by LiAnNaSu : 10 June 2006 - 11:36 AM

@lnsu, on Jun 10 2006, 12:35 PM, said in System Limits:

<snip>

So, um...is there a point you'd like to make?

nope. Just clarifying what deathdelay and mass actually do, and do not do.

Well, it was completely irrelevant, and Belthy never said it solely affected explosions, just that it did.

@belthazar, on Jun 9 2006, 06:47 PM, said in System Limits:

Yeah, that's what I thought. Where exactly did you get that idea from, Coraxus? Ship mass only affects the game-time per jump, while 2x speed affects the real-time per jump.

Well, when I said entry point, I meant that it would enter the system, not entering hyperspace jump. It's how I notice how ships would enter. With ships having heavy mass, it gave the impression that it was just staying in one spot, but ships lighter would glide a bit faster. I don't know, maybe I was thinking about acceleration and speed. Either that or I just have a quarky version of Nova.

This post has been edited by Coraxus : 15 June 2006 - 03:01 PM